The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battery addition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Battery addition Reply with quote

Hello fellow Cbrats,
I'm looking for suggestions for adding a battery for multiple uses. I presently have 3 Lead Acid batteries (1 year old) and really not sure if I want to replace these however I may need to. Presently when on anchor running the gps anchor watch, the anchor light, refrigerator and an ICECO freezer I tends to run the batteries down to a point that the freezer gives a low volt code.
I would like to run 1. an ICECO freezer 2. a CPAP machine overnight and 3. a trolling motor (53A max draw). I do have a honda 2000 generator but really not too excited to carry it, so may get some sort of solar.
What are my best options on a limited budget.

paherrmann

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bucket List
Photos: Biganuf
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this: https://www.anker.com/products/a1770111 and highly recommend it. I like being able to run my ancillary devices off a separate system so I don’t have to worry about draining the essential boat batteries too far.
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 2006 25 we had, we ran a 50 qt ARB fridge/freezer overnight at anchor with incandescent anchor light and did fine with (2) Group 31 lead acid batteries and did fine. We also had a 100 watt flexible solar panel on top of the bimini for recharging. No refrigerator on that boat, just the ARB and an Engel cooler with ice. We never had the gps on for an anchor alarm, though.

The onboard Norcold refrigerators of your era are power hogs. We had one on the Ranger Tug we just sold. Did not like it. As for your CPAP, plenty of people are running those on a 500 w unit like a Jackery for up to 3 nights.

It's good to have some solar. Make sure to get a MPPT charge controller, makes a big difference. A Victron or similar battery monitor is a good idea, too, if you don't have one.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 22 I can run my Norcold fridge, cabin lights (LED), fans, and other stuff overnight on one 24 size battery. After anchoring for the night (say late afternoon) I'll run the motor for 20-30 minutes before retiring for the night. If we are not departing in the morning or it will be a short run, I will run motor again for battery charging in the morning. I have two G24 batteries. One is kept in reserve for motor starting (if it is necessary). This system has worked fine for me for many years.

I would have thought that 3 batteries would be plenty of power. What size are they?
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a second house battery for an underwater light for blackwater diving. I run it in parallel with the other house battery.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My belie f with that amount of demand your best option is 200 watts of LiFePO4 batteries. I had Battle-Born on the25. You will need a monitor & battery to battery charger. Several options on mains power charging.

As a side experiment I have been running a Renogy Battery & no name Chinese mains charger, copy of Victron 702, 18 or 30 amp victron bat to bat charger.

We are on St Josh’s river, can give better details when using my computer rather than the I Phone.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one Group 27 battery for starting, and two Group 29 batteries hooked in parallel for my house. Along with the original refrigerator, I also have an Engle Freezer, Webasto diesel heater, some LED lighting, some Carfrano fans and a Cpap (without humidifier). At night on anchor I will typically run the LED anchor light from dark until I get up an hour or so after daylight, my Cpap, the refrigerator, freezer, sometimes one fan, sometimes the Webasto, and one of the LED interior lights for an hour or two after sunset. 12-15 hours later, I'm rarely less than 73% on my Vectron battery meter. I run the regular lead acid batteries. I'm not sold the other types of batteries are any better than the lead acid when you consider cost, weight and charging methods. I don't have any solar panels, but sometimes think it would be nice to have solar available. I do have my Honda 2000 generator if need be. Personally, I think your trolling motor is going to be the big draw, and you'll probably want to charge your batteries after it's use. Cool Colby
Schuster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone. I probably wasn't clear that the trolling motor will be to power the dingy so would have to be on a sperate portable battery. That having been said and considering all of your comments, I think the first thing I should do is add a Vectron battery monitor to see exactly where I stand. Then replace the two group 27 house batteries with group 31"s. which would free up a battery to use for the dingy.
My next questions are how many batteries can my Honda BF150 charge without overloading it. Could I have two group 31's plus 2 or 3 group 27's? And how does the Victron monitor the batteries? As a group or individually? Lots to learn.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schuster wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I probably wasn't clear that the trolling motor will be to power the dingy so would have to be on a sperate portable battery. That having been said and considering all of your comments, I think the first thing I should do is add a Vectron battery monitor to see exactly where I stand. Then replace the two group 27 house batteries with group 31"s. which would free up a battery to use for the dingy.
My next questions are how many batteries can my Honda BF150 charge without overloading it. Could I have two group 31's plus 2 or 3 group 27's? And how does the Victron monitor the batteries? As a group or individually? Lots to learn.

Dr Bob can give you a much more technical answer, but the vectron battery meter is nice for monitoring your battery power. I have mine monitoring both my house bank and my starter battery. It can only provide most info on one battery bank, and then I have mine set to add the starter battery voltage. (That's all it can monitor on the second battery.) However on the main battery, in my case the bank of two, after I set total amphours available (as shown on the batteries), it can tell me voltage, amphours left, percentage left, and some other information on that main battery (both house batteries in my case as I have them hooked in parallel.) I have the blue tooth model, and associate app, so I can read all this info on my iphone as well, within bluetooth distance. I have noticed with two group 29's, it does take my Yamaha 150 longer to charge them that it did the one or two Group 27's. if I'm down to 75% or so, usually back up to 100% after running 3-4 hours. Perhaps I should say the simple answer is the Vectron can really only monitor a single individual battery. So with my setup, while I'm monitoring my bank of two house batteries, any condition the meter reads/shows, is a combination of both batteries in my house bank. If one battery is dead, I'm not going to know it with the other carrying the load. (ALthough, I'd probably notice something in how long it takes to run down or charge.) I have my Vectron set to also monitor the voltage of a second battery, but I believe I could also have that set to monitor the main battery temperature instead of a second battery voltage. Colby
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Honda 150 puts out about 44 amps. 14 amps is generally used for the engine and its accessories, so 30 amps for other charging. The 2021 models up the charge to about 55 amps and 40 for battery charging, 30 amps at 1000 RPM.

I had no issues with 30 amps to my LiFePo4 batteries, and the Honda 150

For any battery you are going to use with the dinghy, it should be an AGM. I would get a small LiFePo4 because it is much lighter and easy to handle. Having to pass a 68 lb battery to a dingy is an accident waiting to happen. (depending on the type of dinghy). Slat floor roll up, I would be extremely careful!.

The Victron 702/712 etc, measure the current flow across the negative shunt in that particular circuit. Yes, you are wise to see what you need, before changing out batteries. There is a Chinese knock off of the 702, which I have been using for several. years and it seems to work equally as well. Cost in the $40 range, then you could buy a 50 amp 12 volt battery such as Ampere Time, LiFePO4 for $199 (weight 15#,) and would have the same energy available as a group 27 for the trolling motor. Check the video's at Will Prowse's web site on various LiFePO4 batteries.
Schuster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dr Bob for getting back to me. So as I understand it, I could get a knock off Vectron meter to monitor my two existing banks which consist of bank 1 is my group 27 starting battery and bank 2 is 2 group 27 house batteries.
And for the dingy (8'10" inflatable keel with plywood floor) get a small 50ish LiFePo4 battery to juice the 53A max trolling motor. I would charge that by solar panel to a controller or via Honda EU2200i to a battery charger.
I watched some of the Utube videos by Will Prowse and will spend a little more time studying different ones. From that I did learn that there are a wide range of LiFePo4 batteries out there and you don't have to pay top dollar to get good quality. Since I'm using this battery to also supply power to a CPAP machine I think I'll probably go to a 100ah battery. Thanks again.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of these shunt amp meters, measure the performance of one battery at a time. I have set them up with two shunts, where you can switch the battery with a single meter. The meter measures all functions on one battery, and then voltage only on a second battery.

Or you can just put one in the common negative from both batteries, and measure the total use.

On the last 25, I had two shunt type ammeters. One on the Li bank,(freezer, refrigerator, inverter--microwave and induction burner) the other on a FLA bank which carried the rest of the house function.

The reason at that point for the second FLA battery, was that initially no LiFe battery was rated for motor starting. (BMS being set up for that high current draw is basically the issue). Now a number of batteries are setup for outboard starting. I would make the entire boat LiFePO4 if I had to replace the conventional FLA or AGM batteries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: