Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also tell us that it's air conditioned.... Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was such an informative and entertaining thread back in 2009, I thought I would bring it to the top again.

I am trying to learn the COLREGS and their associated rule numbers, and in looking for ways to remember them I try to learn mnemonics or sayings. "Red right return" for example when referring to starboard hand buoys or day markers.

So what gems of sayings does the vast knowledge of C-Bratters have? I'll start it off with this:

When all three lights you see ahead,
Turn to starboard and show your red.
Green to green or red to red,
Perfectly safe, go right ahead.

But if to starboard red appear,
It is your duty to keep clear,
To act as caution says is proper,
Ease her, turn her, back her, stop her.

And if upon your port is seen,
A steamer's starboard light of green,
Hold your course and watch to see,
That green to port keeps clear of thee.

Both in safety and in doubt
Always keep a good look out.
In danger, with no room to turn,
Ease her, stop her, go astern.

Chris

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By failing memory;

No vessel may tie off to a daymark (or lighted aid or any other ATON for that matter).

A sea plane is lowest in the COLREGS priority list (that doesn’t mean a C-Dory can’t or shouldn’t communicate with one heading your way toward the same area).

Here’s my contribution:
Nighttime navigation can be confusing, which is one of many reasons we tend to avoid it. For the most part, if your vessel spots a blinking red, green or white light, it’s a NAV AID. But if it’s a steady light, it’s another vessel.

Name five exceptions (not including emergency response vessels) where vessels display blinking rather than steady lights.

We had COLREGS Quiz time after dinners at anchor on the David B adventure…it’s more interesting discussions with wine.

John

CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A sea plane is lowest in the COLREGS priority list (that doesn’t mean a C-Dory can’t or shouldn’t communicate with one heading your way toward the same area).

Here's one for priorities:

Our New Rods Catch Fish So Purchase Some

Pecking Order:

Overtaken, Not Under Command, Restricted Ability to Manuever, Constrained by Draft, Engaged in Fishing, Sailing, Power, Sea Plane
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a trick question for transiting a Canadian canal.

If you are transiting the Trent Severn from Orillia to Port Severn through one of the many speed restricted sections and another Cdory the same as yours is coming towards you - which is the "stand on" vessel and which is the "give way" vessel? And why?

There are no other boats, obstructions, nav aids, etc. just you, the other boat and the canal.

Good luck

Rob

-Waypoint-

City/Region: Jensen Beach, Florida
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Photos: Waypoint
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "stand on" vessel would be the vessel that is going "with the current" (down stream) and would have first choice on passing arrangements. The give way vessel going against the current, has better maneuverability, which is the "give way" vessel. Port to port is always preferred, in this case, the vessel going with the current may have to make a wider turn in a bend. So the upbound vessel could take the inside bend of the turn, giving the down bound vessel more room to maneuver. This rule can apply with flooding and ebbing tidal currents in inlets in salt water too.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that the TS falls under COLREGS Inland Rivers (Great Lakes, Western Rivers and Canada) rather than International Rules (Rule 1).

Therefore, the downbound vessel is the stand-on vessel and “should propose the manner of passage via sound signals or VHF radio.” (Exception to Rule 14 for Great Lakes and Inland Rivers).

I don't see any limitation to 'speed restricted areas' though.

In Canada, don’t forget to change your VHF radio frequency set from USA to CAN. That menu item is often buried deep enough that you won’t find it without the radio manual/instructions.

Those rare vessels displaying flashing rather than steady lights:

Barge on hip tow (yellow flashing) Rule 24f

Seine purser with fouled gear (two vertical flashing yellow alternating) annex II.

Hovercraft not in displacement mode (yellow flashing) Rule 23b.

Wing in water Ground Effect craft (red strobe)

Multiple Vessels/Objects towed alongside (yellow flashing) Rule 24f.

Happy Navigating! Hope to see you on the T-S this summer!

John
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Waypoint- wrote:
The "stand on" vessel would be the vessel that is going "with the current" (down stream)

We have a bingo! In this example since the key to the riddle was - "From Orilia to Port Severn" - you would be the "Stand on vessel" and the other Cdory would give way as Balsom Lake is the "Summit" and you would then be going downstream to Port Severn. Some sections of the canal can have a good current - especially in the spring and around the bottom of larger locks like Swift Rapids just after they have emptied.

Thanks for playing - hope you waved at the other Cdory when you passed!

Rob
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my memory tricks, one to the right, two to the left. Passing or over taking. If you are passing on the right (port to port), or over taking on the right (your port to their starboard), one short blast of the horn. If passing on the left (your starboard to their starboard) or overtaking on the left (your starboard to their port), two short blasts. One to the right, two to the left. Position your boat is going relative to the other boat.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no knowledge of details of specific Canadian Navigation laws,(See below) but occasionally United States mariners ascribe stand on / give way in rivers, inlets or other areas of current to Rule 14 (d) of US Navigation Rules; inland.

Ref. Stand on and give way vessels in situations where there is flow or current; United States Inland Rule 14d:

Quote:
(d) Notwithstanding Rule 14(a), a power-driven vessel operating on the Great Lakes, Western Rivers, or waters specified by the Secretary, and proceeding downbound with a following current shall have the right-of-way over an upbound vessel, shall propose the manner of passage, and shall initiate the maneuvering signals prescribed by Rule 34(a)(i), as appropriate.

Note this only applies to "Western Rivers" of the United States.

Quote:
Western Rivers means the Mississippi River, its tributaries, South Pass, and Southwest Pass, to the navigational-demarcation lines dividing the high seas from harbors, rivers, and other inland waters of the United States, and the Port Allen-Morgan City Alternative Route, and that part of the Atchafalaya River above its junction with the Port Allen-Morgan City Alternative Route including the Old River and the Red River and those waters specified by §§ 89.25 and 89.27 of this chapter, and such other, similar waters as are designated by the COTP.

Note this is one of the very few rules where the term "right of way" is used. "Stand on" and "Give way" are used in most situations. Where collision occurs, there will be assignment of guilt, it is rare that a single vessel is totally wrong. (Stand an adequate watch, be situationally aware, communicate with the other vessel (VHF Radio or whistle signals) and take action to avoid a collision is also essential.).

Due to my ignorance of Canadian rules, I looked up:
Collision Regulations C.R.C., c. 1416. CANADA SHIPPING ACT, 2001

Canadian rules 9 (k)

Quote:
Notwithstanding paragraph (a) and Rule 14(a), in the Canadian waters of a narrow channel or fairway where there is a current or tidal stream and two power-driven vessels are meeting each other from opposite directions so as to involve risk of collision,
(i) the vessel proceeding with the current or tidal stream shall be the stand-on vessel and shall propose the place of passage and shall indicate the side on which she intends to pass by sounding the appropriate signal prescribed in Rule 34(a) or (g),

(ii) the vessel proceeding against the current or tidal stream shall keep out of the way of the vessel proceeding with the current or tidal stream and shall hold as necessary to permit safe passing,

(iii) the vessel proceeding against the current or tidal stream shall promptly reply to the signal referred to in subparagraph (i) with the same signal, if she is in agreement, and with the sound signal prescribed in Rule 34(d), if she is in doubt.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: