starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be less at idle but how much do you need. I run all of those items, radar and downriggers being the most power draw, plus a fridge on a different battery but charged by the same motors, and never had a low battery. Never not been able to start my 225 main after 8 hours of running just the kicker and all those items. This is just an none problem. Sure it would be neat to know but its not useful to turn your auto pilot from stand by to off over 3 amps???????.

Now amp use at anchor.. that is well worth talking about but still not a major problem if you travel every day as we do. I have run the heat and the fridge for 3 days without draining the battery past not starting the main. which brings up a good point. make sure your kicker has a alt and a pull start. You will never be stranded due to low voltage.

Also I do remember reading last years that some of the smaller motors , under 40hp and even kickers, where going to but out max amp at tolling speed just because of all the power draws on modern bass and walleye boats. cant remember where on the www I read it but makes since with the direction of fishing.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree if running a decent speed, the alternator will keep batteries up. Our most recent experiences was with the Honda 150, about 35 amps available for charging. We ran the 30 amp Sterling battery to battery charger, and charged in the 25 to 30 amp range (measured on viltron 702, when we were running each day (2500 to 5500 RPM). Our house batteries were also well charged. The Li bank was running 2 chest freezer/refers, a microwave and induction burner. (Average 100 amp hour or so a day, out of a 200 amp hour Li bank.

I had made assumption that "pcg" was including anchoring--and consumption over at least a 24 hour period. However it would be very useful to have some more specific information--and too bad the outboard manufactures don't give hp/torque, fuel use, and alternator output / RPM in the brochures.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCG asked about slow speed travel, I had to read it twice. which is weird because that is when I would like to run my auto pilot the most.

This is like a on going argument with a friend of Susan's. Susan would run the heat in here toyota with the windows half way down and her friend would chastise her for , I shit you not, adding to global warming... No matter how many people explained to her that if the motor is running then the heat is being created and it does not matter that the heat is going out the exhaust or thru the heater core and out the window. She could not grasps the idea and continued to chastise Susan for it. Cal state collage graduate and she new better.

So as long as the motor is running I really don't think you can run enough electronic ( other then a microwave) that would drain your battery faster then its being charged and it sure as hell is not 3 amps making or breaking the system. Hell we run shrimp pots for 3 10 min cycles back to back along with ever thing else and they draw 25 to 30 amp when running. Do that every hour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: