srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post is to show that AIS information layered on top of a chart on a chart plotter has the benefit of allowing the boat operator (me), to have real time information about AIS targets, relative positions, related to the real time position and orientation. Also the target vessels receive the same information on their layered plotter and have the same relative picture.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=AIS-Targets-Overlayed-On-Garmin-Plotter&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,
Oh,never mind. I was doing too many things at once, and had my last post on my mind, forgetting completely about the other posts in the thread... Confused A busy Sunday, but got a lot accomplished! Probably should have stayed off the computer. lol. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 mounted marine VHF radios, from left to right, ICOM, RayMarine, and Standard Horizon. By far my favorite for ease of operation (muddling through the menus) is the ICOM M-506. It is and easy straight forward menu, it has the largest screen (much easier viewing for the AIS screen) and it has the last call recording feature. I have had no problem with either the ICOM or the Standard Horizon which I like because it has a mic that does dual function as a speaker so it is quick to hold it close to an ear and get a good clear audio.

Both the SH and the ICOM have AIS receive, although I don't rely on them as much, (I have a stand alone Vesper Watchmate with it's own monitor) for AIS.

I would not buy an AIS that was not the "new" B+ because it is so much more functional.

As to AIS clutter on the screen, I have a separate page on my MFD that does not have the AIS targets, which worked great for in the marina area where there are dozens of moored and docked boats with their AIS running round the clock. But I don't believe in running with the AIS on stealth mode. It makes communication with the big commercial traffic so much easier when you have their ID and they can see you are not just playing radio games,

I also would tend to stay away from having too many systems in one unit, as was mentioned about the CORTEX type of system.

Harvey
SleepyC

pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
... By far my favorite for ease of operation (muddling through the menus) is the ICOM M-506. It is and easy straight forward menu, it has the largest screen (much easier viewing for the AIS screen) and it has the last call recording feature.

You had me sold on the last call recording feature, and I went to the Seattle Boat Show determined to come back with a VHF radio. However, I came back empty-handed and needing to do more research because, as far as I can tell, that feature is not currently available on any brand of fixed VHF. The newer ICOM radios don't have it and the M506 has been discontinued and I can't find any for sale.
The new flagship ICOM510 has a gorgeous display (can be turned to red at night) and is half the depth of the M506, which is great. However, ICOM seems to have jumped on the iPhone-pairing bandwagon and added Wi-Fi to enable that - not a selling point for me. They've made NMEA 2000 compatibility dependent on Wi-Fi as well (it was available as a built-in option on the M506) which requires spending another $200 on a separate Wi-Fi module.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: