View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:40 pm    Post subject: best outboard for a 9'dingy Reply with quote

We are looking for a motor to put on our dingy. We have an 8'10" Newport Vessels inflatable dingy with the air keel and plywood floor. I'm looking for recommendations for what power to put on the back of it.
My parameters are that I don't want a really heavy motor as I'll have to put it on and off the dingy a couple of times a trip. Generally I wouldn't inflate the dingy till we are in the San Juans then inflate and put the motor on and drag it around from anchorage to anchorage. I would like to be able to move right along when required. I have no idea what size motor it would take to plane the boat but would like to be able to do so.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that size dinghy, I use the 3.5 HP Merc, 3.5 HP Yamaha, or 2.5 hp Suzuki. All are 4 stroke. the two 3.5 weight aobut 35 lbs the Suzuki 2.5 weight is 30#

But our favorite motor for this size dinghy is the Torpedo Travel 1103 which is about 👍🏻equiv of 3 hp. That weights 30 lbs, but no piece weighs more than ~12 lbs. it is very easy to put on the dinghy.

To really plane--you are probably looking at 9 -10hp & weight. Honda and 87#, Tohatsu 81#, Merc 84#. The larger motors are more difficult to handle

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same dinghy. I originally used my 2.5 hp Suzuki, but only for a few times. It planes with one person (+7 knots?), not so much with two. I then tried my 35# thrust Newport electric. Slower, maybe 4kt max. But, quieter, easier to start, lighter, same range, no dangerous gas tanks onboard (on my diesel boat), just toss it in the lazerette or lay it in the cockpit. It is light enough to leave on the dinghy when lifting and, unlike the Suzuki, doesn't care which side it is laid on and doesn't require remembering to shut the gas vent to prevent dribbling.

It does require the purchase of a battery. I went with a 100Ah lithium (24#), which was more expensive than the motor. Probably good for 8 hours between charges. Less if operated at max.

If you are in a hurry every time, and don't mind the noise, smell, and inconvenience, gas is okay. I'd still look at the more powerful Newport electric offerings, some of which would require a 24V lithium ($600) and maybe an onboard charger for multi-week cruising. You would then have the same initial investment as the Suzuki 2.5. But, over the years my Suzuki has had oil and spark plug changes, a new carburetor, and a $400 trip to the shop when even the new carb got clogged (microscopic fuel jets). No operating expenses for the electric even though it has more hours on it.

Newport makes larger electrics, including an expensive model that looks like a gas outboard. It seems people are willing to pay a huge premium for an electric kicker that doesn't look like the old Minnkota electric trolling motor connected to a lead acid battery. I just use mine for sightseeing and transport to shore, so looks don't matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses Dr. Bob and Marco. It seems that the expense of the electric package including charging ability would sway my decision as to which direction I go. I'm seeing that going electric would be close to $2K as opposed to used 4 stroke for somewhere around $800. There doesn't yet seem to be much of a used market for electric at this time. I am wondering how long the batteries hold up on the Torqueedos.
Will the 3.5hp move the boat much faster than the 2.5? I was happy to read that the 2.5 hp Suzuki move the boat approx 7mph empty. That would making dropping the crab pots a couples miles away from anchorage possible. There are definitely pros and cons electric verses gas. Any further suggestions welcome, thanks.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wanted to get up on plane because I am in a hurry I would use the mother boat. For the dingy, I loved my 2.5 Suzuki. Weighs 29 lbs, can pass it over the gunnel and on to the dinghy using one hand. Easy to stow in the cockpit as well.

Martin.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot of difference between the 2.5 Suzuki and 3.5 2 stroke Mercury that I had on the 9 1/2' air floor, or an 8' slat floor. They both gave "hull speed". Also not much different than the Torqeedo.

We owned the Torqeedo over 10 years and there was no discernible degrade of everyday use of the battery. But we almost always charged the battery daily.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schuster,
Too bad that you don't live near me, as I have all of these in my shed and let people try them all until they finally decide if they want a boat that planes, or want to be able to easily lift an outboard on and off of their transoms, without hoist, or fear of dropping them.
Last month, a guy tried a Mercury 2.5 (it is really a Tohatsu). After testing it, he thought that a 3.5 Merc would be better for his application, so I changed the jets in the 2.5, to make it a 3.5 (at his expense). After he came back to my dock, he then tested a Suzuki 2.5, then a Honda 2.
He ended up buying the Honda, because his young 10 year old son could easily carry it and the engine is air cooled, so flushing the block after use isn't needed. What he really found out was that at 1/2 throttle, he was going at about the same speed as the others and that as throttle was added, it just made a lot more noise, without going much faster.
I have my likes and dislikes with all of these outboards...

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: