The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Venture 26 / 25 Cruiser kicker for hull speed +
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Stuff happens. If it hasn't happened to you yet, just wait. It's the Nature of life.

I have been traipsing around wilderness areas for for more than 50 years and earned my "Chief Scout" award as a Boy Scout. One thing that I have learned as a Scout was to 'BE PREPARED". This advice has saved my bacon a few times and I have saved other peoples bacon a few times as well.

There is no way to carry all of the emergency gear that you might need for every scenario, especially in a small boat like a C-Dory, but the trick is to carry enough to get you out of danger most of the time. Shit Happens and having some of the tools to save your life and the skills to use those tools is critical. I always carry a spare paddle when I am kayaking or canoeing and only once in 50 years of paddling have I ever needed the spare, but boy did I need it then. The same goes for a kicker or twin engine. If you boat in busy areas with lots of traffic, nearby C-Tow services, coast guard and other boaters, then the spare motor may not be necessary. But, when you get into remote areas it sure is nice to have and adds to that feeling of security. Yes, it will not cover all of the dangers mentioned like running out of fuel, that is more of a common sense problem. But, at least you have covered some of your bases. When we decide to go into areas like the wilderness, be it in a boat, on foot, skis or whatever the means there are risks involved. Hopefully we have taken the time to make the preparations and learned the skills to deal with some of the emergencies that can and do happen. Almost every week I am outdoors doing some activity and all to often I run into someone that is trying to win the "Darwin Award". The unfortunate reality is that your misfortune means that someone else usually has to clean up the mess. I would rather ensure that I can handle most of the emergencies myself first and then if necessary have the tools like a VHF, Satellite communication device or other means to bring in the experts. Living on a remote ranch in the Alberta foothills has taught me to deal with problems myself most of the time and only when necessary to bring in the experts.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Quote:
We got our kicker from EQ Marine shortly after we purchased our CD25 in 2005. We debated the 9.9 v 15 hp and ultimately made the wrong decision! Hull speed is hull speed. Oh well!

So which one did you go with and why was it the wrong decision?

We went with the 15 hp. A 9.9 would have achieved the same hull speed. Not tragic of course. And I think a kicker, whether 9.9 or 15, is a good idea, even with the reliability of modern 4 stroke mains. A damaged prop on the main, for example. That actually happened to us, and we were glad we had the kicker!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually glad to hear you feel the 9.9 would reach the same hull speed as the 15. I'm pretty sure mine does. At about 75% throttle. I'm amazed at just how much power these little motors and props can produce. I have used the 9.9 on the 25 in some windy environments while trolling, and other than requiring more input on the controls than the main, it suffices. (At trolling speeds, it requires a lot more steering input to keep the bow on target. But pushing the throttle up and gaining a little more speed, pretty easy to regain control. At that point, I say screw it and pull lines! If it's too rough to maintain heading with the kicker while trolling, it's too rough to troll, period!) Colby
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, is your kicker connected to your 150? Are using your autopilot when you troll?
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Colby, is your kicker connected to your 150? Are using your autopilot when you troll?

Hi Alain. I have the cockpit helm and throttle station. That helm is hooked into the main hydraulic steering system. The kicker has steering linkage hooked up at the main thru a separate steering cable. I can steer from either station and that controls the main and the kicker thru the cable. The cockpit throttle controls the kicker while the cabin throttle controls the main. I can use the autopilot trolling if I want, but up until I recently purchased a remote control for the autopilot, I just had control of the autopilot in the cabin. I do have a Garmin Gpsmap 541 at the cockpit station, but don’t know how to manually control the AP from it. That plotter is hooked into my network with the other plotter and autopilot. So I can run the AP from the 541 in regards to routes engaged on the 541.
alainP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does get complicated does'nt it? Shocked
alainP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forgoten about your cockpit helm
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandpa, an old Navy man, used to say
Quote:
The sea is a lousy teacher. First you get the test (maybe your 'final' exam). If you survive that, you may learn the lesson.

also, I remember
Quote:
The sea simply waits for the innocent. Moreover, it actually stalks the unprepared, the careless and the arrogant.

Never think you have all the answers.

Aye.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alain, yeah, it does get complicated. lol. But for the most part, it works pretty well. You guys still way down south? While we had our deep freeze last week, we hit almost 60 today. (I've been saying, Christmas is over, let's get on with summer now. lol) I'm ready to take C-Traveler out from under it's full cover and launch somewhere. But not enough warmth long enough to thaw the ice out on the lakes! Crying or Very sad A couple more months, and we'll head down to Florida. Colby
alainP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we're back in Tucson after 6 weeks or so in the Sea, November was windier than usual, old weather patterns are shifting...
I might see you in Florida, never been there before except for a very quck trip eons ago to Tampa to look at a Cabo Rico 38, wasted trip it turned out.
serpa4

City/Region: Melbourne
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: DayLo
Photos: DayLo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
5 Reasons Boaters Call Sea Tow
*Engine or equipment breakdown. “The biggest reason why we tow people is because of mechanical failure,” says Capt. ...
*Fuel-related issues. “We always suggest a pre-season, spring inspection and maintenance on the fuel system. ...
*Out of gas. ...
*Dead battery. ...
*Ran aground.

Most are avoidable except:
*Engine or equipment breakdown. “The biggest reason why we tow people is because of mechanical failure,” says Capt. ..
2018 Cutwater, Volvo Dielse failure at lake powel.
2012? Surger sand, stranded miles from marina on a weekday with no cell service. Was a lake boat with no VHF (16') boat. Lucky got towed back by the only person I saw for the entire day.
2015 Stingray 230 LX. Bad ground, wouldn't start (didn't know till was home). Pull start kicker would have solved this.

Fuel issues: Not always apparent. May be an issues. Never happened yet.

Out of gas, dead battery, ran aground. Should...be able to avoid those. I have for 30 years.

Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will share our kicker experience for the mix. We had a 9.9 on our 22. Lost the main 90 hp due to a failed thermostat housing just outside of Dodd Narrows. Managed to get through Dodd at slack to have the 90 looked at. We were on the way to Desolation Sound. Turns out the motor was not repairable as water leaking from the housing had filled the hood and gotten into the oil. It was Canada Day weekend. We talked to some shops and they smiled and asked what month we might want to come in. We went from Nanaimo to Orcas to Cornet Bay on the 9.9 over several days with careful attention and planning to tides, wind and larger ships. Worked out fine but I did feel a bit exposed on the more open sections with no back up other than a radio. Same with going through Deception Pass, although there are a lot of open fishing boats in the pass that are running 9.9 hp and they are there often!

Our 25 has a Tohatsu 20 hp Kicker. Figured we could manage the weight as the 15 and 20 were the same. The 20 was fuel injected which seemed like an advantage. I can get hull speed at about 50% throttle, so it is a lot more engine than needed. It has a "power prop". It is set up with inside controls so it is a good "get to safety" or "get to home" engine. The extra HP helps with wind or current. Having been in a bit of a spot once, I wanted a bit more safety net. Truth is I could run long distance in mild winds or currents with the 20 hp at reasonable fuel consumption, relatively low noise, good control and comfort without taxing the engine. Long as I wasn't in a hurry. So far I have not had to use it as a backup but we do run it some days when enjoying hull speed cruising, which we do quite a bit of. Doesn't qualify as a "twin" but might as a "little brother" to the 150? We are happy with it for what we do. If in areas with many other boats and one wanted a trolling motor and get to safety motor on a 25, going with the wind and the flow, I would think a high thrust 9.9 hp might work pretty well. But I wonder how much current or wind you could push. Others who have them would know better than I from their experience. 15 hp gives ample power for the 25 but if it is the same weight, a 20 hp is attractive but for the cost. The fuel injection was a bonus for me.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spent 7 months a year cruising the PNW (inland passage to Ak 4X years) in a motor sailor, which we usually ran at 6 knots,(Max speed is 9 knots--rarely done-8 knots was easily do. I can say that it is no problem with good planing to go anywhere you want to go. The difference is that you can figure on doing one pass (at slack water such as Dodd Narrows, or even Seymour Narrows) each day. You usually do high slack water, but often just slack water works. With the 25 or 22 you can hit 2 or 3 passes away.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: