The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

All I want for Christmas is a new engine...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what lead times are on engines right now but I suspect there may still be supply chain issues. I ordered two engines last year in January and it took until late may for the first one to be delivered and mid August for the second one. So I'd suggest to check immediately to see what the lead times are running and order appropriately. Because if lead times are as long now as last year, you need to order now to have it in time for the coming season.
-Waypoint-

City/Region: Jensen Beach, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Photos: Waypoint
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got lucky finding my Honda 40s. Otherwise they had a 6-month waiting list from Japan for Hondas. I thought the install was going to be plug and play with basically the same motors. Not after 24 years have passed! EVERYTHING has to be changed out with repowering an old boat. One advantage of doing the work yourself, is that the parts arrive at the house faster! Still cheaper to repower than buying a new C-Dory.
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
I don't know what lead times are on engines right now but I suspect there may still be supply chain issues. I ordered two engines last year in January and it took until late may for the first one to be delivered and mid August for the second one. So I'd suggest to check immediately to see what the lead times are running and order appropriately. Because if lead times are as long now as last year, you need to order now to have it in time for the coming season.

Commenting on two issues already brought up, and a n additional suggestion. I repowered to a Honda 100 from a more than 20 yo Honda 90. The older motor worked fine, but so many hours I didn’t trust it for long trips any more. Wow, am I ever pleased, particularly the increase in nmpg, both at hull speed and on step.

First, you might need a considerable lead time, both to get the motors and to have them installed. Don’t wait until Spring if you intend to use it this summer. I had to wait six months, ordering in summer, with installation in January last year. Also, prices have gone up considerably, and I don’t think they are coming down in the future.

Second, they did use some of the steering hardware, and existing bolt holes, but replaced all of the electrical (should be done anyway) and the throttle and cables (also should be replaced). Not sure how much would be saved by using same motor brand, but I think not much.

Third, Consider having a quick connect from the gas tanks to the motor. Then you can use external tanks that are easy to empty. Fill the regular tanks for longer trips. Just unhook the connect and you can run the system dry, though I’m told this isn’t important for the fuel injected motor. I have always run all of the gas out of carbureted motors (generators, chain saws, lawn mowers, trimmers, outboards),, 2 and 4 stroke, and have had few issues with long-term reliability. When I finish a trip and don’t plan to use the next few days, and ever month or so when using, I “finish” running the motor with synthetic, ethanol-free fuel.

Don’t know if this is going to make a difference with the Honda 100, but I’m now a person of habits, and doing this has served me well for a long time now.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor motor availability & wait time on some makes was already happening pre Covid, when we repowered from the twin Honda 40’s to 60’s in the summer of 2019. Even then it was a very expensive decision. All the controls & gauges had to be replaced & at that time, I chose cheap analog gauges, knowing at a future time, when also upgrading my auto pilot, electronic chart plotter & radio, I would be adding a nmea 2000 network, which I would do myself. The cost of motors, including dual controls, analog gauges & installation was $16756. Later it was another approximately $1300 to add the Honda HD-4 gauges & nmea 2000 network, so over $18,000 total.

Jay

gstraub

City/Region: Callao
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: EnDoryFun
Photos: EnDoryFun
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the additional info. The lead time issue was not something that even crossed my mind. I'll take everything mentioned into account and do some more research and try to get this moving immediately after Christmas.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Just a comment that no outboard is immune from corrosion

Excellent point Bob. When Colleen and I were first considering buying used, we looked at a 22 Cruiser but both the 90 Suzuki along with kicker had considerable paint missing on the motor mounts and lower units. Later, an outboard mechanic told me that with a sea trial, the purchase may have been a good one but we decided to pass. The owner selling the boat told me that he was under the impression that the new Suzuki outboard motors did not need to be flushed after saltwater use. Even being a greenhorn on boat knowledge, this was a red flag in what he stated! Here is a link to what our Suzuki 140 internal anodes looked like after the first 260 hours of saltwater use. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album2856&id=Internal_Anodes&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php These sacrificial anodes do perform what they are designed to do to help protect the motor from the effects of saltwater corrosion . Their replacement at the manufacturer specified date is important when the motor used in saltwater along with proper freshwater flushing. Gary

ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
J, and I used a rigorous program of flushing after each use. Even when I was running almost every day in the Keys, I flushed the 140 Suzuki on the Caracal Cat daily.

I'm heading to the Keys is 2 days and I will follow your "rigorous program". In the past I'd do it once a week on my bi-annual 1-2 week cruises but now every day. It only takes a few minutes.

I do flush after every use when I take the boat out for a day/weekend cruise.

I keep her in a high and dry marina and try to take her out once a month (she's 4 hours away) as I still work. Work sucks Laughing

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think flushing is important, but not something you must do rigorously. I probably only do it a couple times a season and have nearly 3000 hours on my engines. But the water here is really cold, maybe that makes a difference? I don't know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: