City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
". . . This makes it sail more at anchor and also makes it harder to dock in high winds. I don't know what the solution is to stop this, but we have come to the conclusion . . . "

Peter, I know this might be hard to believe, and maybe too late for you to do, but to ease the docking, ahh ( w a i t 4 i t -------> Twin outboards. Really makes a difference.

NOW BACK to the Usual programming.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Peter, I know this might be hard to believe, and maybe too late for you to do, but to ease the docking, ahh ( w a i t 4 i t -------> Twin outboards. Really makes a difference.

My boat came with a Honda 90 and Honda 9.9 and both are in excellent condition, but if they would have come with twins I would be fine with that, but if I were buying a new boat and outfitting it from scratch, I certainly would consider twins.

BTW. My better half does most of the docking and I am usually the one to jump onto the dock.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
hardee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
Quote:

My boat came with a Honda 90 and Honda 9.9 and both are in excellent condition, but if they would have come with twins I would be fine with that, but if I were buying a new boat and outfitting it from scratch, I certainly would consider twins.

BTW. My better half does most of the docking and I am usually the one to jump onto the dock.

Chivalry is still a thing.

My boat came with twins. An option I had never even considered. I wasn't even going to be picky about the color either. Just had to be a 22 Cruiser.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: riding sail Reply with quote

Some boats will respond in a good way to a small riding sail, lots of older "Character Boats" have a stubby mast with short boom - an old sail can be cut down to as flat as possible for not much money and rigged to hoist with minimal hardware/attachment points. Using a length of nylon that is spliced onto the bow ring and then rolling hitched to the anchor rode will lower what the boat is seeing as the fulcrum or swing point above the water and give you more efficient anchor line scope. In the end, if you watch your stored GPS plots on even a calm day or use a trail camera set on the cabin top you will be amazed how much boats hunt over time. Have a great balance of this Holiday season. Bob Jarrard in Nevada
C Sniper

City/Region: South Padre Island
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: C Sniper
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I read about the stern sails somewhere. Could be an great option for someone looking to be on the hook for while.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have experienced twins and a Manson Supreme anchor, there is no going back. Am I biased? You betcha.....lol

Martin.
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bridma wrote:
Once you have experienced twins and a Manson Supreme anchor, there is no going back. Am I biased? You betcha.....lol

Martin.

Hay Martin, It is OK, It is a good bias. Very Happy Very Happy

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

serpa4

City/Region: Melbourne
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: DayLo
Photos: DayLo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstraub wrote:
You might also try a bridle on the bow so the anchor is attached to cleats on both sides of the bow.

Yes, helps.

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: high wind: anchoring aches Reply with quote

C Sniper wrote:
Please help! I have been using my Dory to teach kiteboarding and have been LOVING it!!! except anchoring... I was trying to anchor to hold position and setup the kite off the stern. However the vessel sails back and forth soo much that she would pull the anchor and drift down on the kite lines and create a huge, time wasting mess. I tried a danforth, bruce and plow anchors so far. Conditions are varied; soft mud with HEAVY weeds, and semi weedy sand. Water depth is usually 3-5 ft and I have 10 ft of chain and have played with 3:1 to 10:1 scope all with the same results, esp as the wind come up into high teens, and forget about an anchor holding in 30!!! any wisdom here fellas??? anchors and all oversized for my 22...

I had 50' of chain on my 22 never drug an anchor 22# lewmar claw on the 25 I have 100' of chain & a 22# lewmar claw zero issues, I anchor in 4-250' 0f water Mr. Green Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: