The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

10/02 - 10/06 - “Meet in the Middle” C-Brat Gathering
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
txmntman

City/Region: GEORGETOWN
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Saint Somewhere
Photos: Saint Somewhere
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: 10/02 - 10/06 - “Meet in the Middle” C-Brat Gathering
From 02 Oct 2023 to 06 Oct 2023 (included)

As you may remember, I had proposed a “Meet in the Middle” C-Brats gathering at The Land Between the Lakes. It is SET! Details:

Prizes Point Marina, on Lake Barkley
Arrive Monday, Oct 2, Departure Friday Oct 6.
Activities - Monday night - BYOD (Bring your own Dinner)
Tuesday Evening - Activity (maybe Pot luck dinner)
Wed Evening - Activity. (Open to suggestions…Anyone?)
Thursday Evening - Activity (maybe individual tell about their favorite modification)
Friday - Head home

Prizer Point will have room for our boats, they have a launch ramp, and have a KOA campground for those that would prefer to bring their camper than their boat. Tiffany (cell 270-625-3716) would LOVE to talk to you about the marina and take boat reservations (mention C-Brats!). Tracy (cell 270-522-3762) will take your reservations for your RV. I believe they also have a few cabins, but not sure about that. You can also email Tiffany at tvaughn@prizerpoint.com for additional info.
The link for the marina itself is www.Prizerpoint.com

The land between the lakes is AWESOME boating! I have left the days open so you can cruise all you would like. If others would like to propose activities, I am all open. To find out more about land between the lakes, check out this website at www.landbetweenthelakes.com.

Please keep me informed of your plans. I told Tiffany I would hope to have between 10 and 20 boats. Please don’t let me down! I would also like to hear from folks who have cruised these waters. I never have, but it has been on my bucket list for a while.

Added to Calendar

Signup list

-TyBoo

Boston Whaler Montauk "Joe Bob" Sold
Hobie Cat "Mikey Likes It" Sold
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite interesting in attending. However, October is quite far off and difficult for me to commit to right now.

Thanks for setting this up though.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks txmntman! I'll commit. Putting it on my calendar now. One thing I will caution. While this is a great time of the year to hold a gathering, particularly on Lake Barkley, the area will be in winter draw down. I'd advise folks to pay close attention to their charts, with an eye on the nav buoys going in. I did find one of them missing when I was in there a year or two ago. (These are private markers.) The main river is well marked. From what I remember of the marina, it is nice, and had an enclosed pool. October is still a nice time to cruise the Tennessee or Cumberland Rivers. Expect to see the start of fall foliage in this area. I have launched at Kentucky Lake Dam State Resort Park in the past, as it is closer to me than Prize Point. However, long term parking is at your own risk. The park superintendent told me no overnight parking. The local head ranger said it was ok. I'll have to decide closer to the date if I'm just coming down for the gathering, or cruising before or afterwards, and will decide then rather I'm launching at the state park or the marina.
And I'm one that does appreciate such an advance notice. Nice to be able to plan my following season of boating. This will be a nice way to close out next season.
One recommendation I would have would be to have a one day cruise on perhaps Wednesday. A cruise up to Lighthouse Point Marina, and from there folks could visit Patty's Settlement at Land Between the Lakes. If this is planned, it might be worth while to call that marina and see if they can handle how ever many we expect. (This cruise would take us north, through the Barkley/Kentucky Lake canal, over to Kentucky Lake, then around the corner to Lighthouse Point.) That distance is approximately 20nm. One last note, has Tyboo made a gathering sign up yet? Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If our health permits we have it on the calendar. We will be there in our "Dirt boat", but may bring a car along instead of the 18' Caracal Cat, with the campground right there. Since Marie is from Corinth MS, and we have many friends who either have cabins or live full time on Picwick Lake (Tennessee River) about 200 miles up river. It is a good excuse to visit our other friends that time of the year.

Thanks for making the arrangements.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
txmntman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Bob & Colby! I’m looking forward to seeing both of you again. Maybe one, or both, of you would like to provide some insight on the area for one of the programs. I plan to do that, but I know you both have more insight and experience than I. Let me know your thoughts.
-Mike
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing the research, Mike!

We plan on being there, then trailer south 200 miles to Pickwick State Park, store the rig and float 450 miles down the Tenn-Tom and another 60 to our marina and car, then drive back up to retrieve the rig and bag another Loop Segment. In Oct the weather is decent and less air conditioning is needed…but there aren’t many reliable marinas on that Segment.

These videos are from the Nashville Skyline Columbia and Tennessee River adventure and give a taste of the cruising there in 2018 with Cat O’ Mine, Thataway, and four other C-Dories from all over the country. Hope they’re helpful.

Part II - The Cumberland River
https://youtu.be/ayn6Gd38ZAs

Part III - The Tennessee River
https://youtu.be/kPJg9xoojfQ

Safe Travels!

John

colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Awesome Bob & Colby! I’m looking forward to seeing both of you again. Maybe one, or both, of you would like to provide some insight on the area for one of the programs. I plan to do that, but I know you both have more insight and experience than I. Let me know your thoughts.

Not exactly sure what you are asking, but if it's what I think, sure, I'd be willing to share my knowledge on the area during one of the gathering events. And I'd be quite happy to lead us up to Lighthouse Point marina if that's something you want to add to the gathering one day.

John, how much time you guys plan to take on that cruise afterwards? Colby
txmntman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, neat videos!!

Colby, I’m not sure what I am asking for either, but a short talk on the area during one of the mornings or evenings would be very welcome, maybe do that on Tuesday. If you would be willing to lead an ‘expidition’, that would be awesome! So, the answer to your question is “Yes!”. I’m looking forward to both of those.
There is a lock about 9 miles from the marina. Would it make sense to take frocks through a lock that have never been through one? (Like me)
Just a thought.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Colby, I’m not sure what I am asking for either, but a short talk on the area during one of the mornings or evenings would be very welcome, maybe do that on Tuesday. If you would be willing to lead an ‘expidition’, that would be awesome! So, the answer to your question is “Yes!”. I’m looking forward to both of those.
There is a lock about 9 miles from the marina. Would it make sense to take frocks through a lock that have never been through one? (Like me)
Just a thought.

Hi Mike,
I can do that on Tuesday. I'm sure as folks sign up, there will be a few others that are very familiar with the area that can also share info on Tuesday. And I would much more enjoy leading a cruise somewhere one of the days. Smile Lockage would kind of depend on how busy they are with commercial tows. I assume that is the Barkley lock you are referring to. Maybe something we can work with the locktender a day in advance to bring some boats in just to pass through, turn around and head back. Perhaps part of the cruise up to Lighthouse Point. Then could do either Barkley or Kentucky Locks. Or possibly up thru one and down through the other. I'm not sure the distance between them on the north side. I would share now that there are two books that would be worth the cost for anyone that plans to cruise either the Tennessee or Cumberland Rivers. Both books my Jerry Hay. The Cumberland River Guide and the Tennessee River Guide. Good information on each waterway of sights to see, etc. Colby
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Agree buy both the Hay books.

We’ll volunteer for a discussion on Locking techniques and do’s and don’ts for various areas. In the big locks, vessels (except commercial tows) wrap a line from the midsection of their boat and one from aft to a floating ‘bollard’ that rides up and down on a cable within a vertical niche in the lock wall.

As dumb luck would have it, our worst locking disaster of our 200 locks to date is with a bollard in the Joe Wheeler Lock, which is very nicely captured forever (to our embarrassment) on the video at 24:47 on video #2 “Tennessee River”.

Videographer extraordinaire Floyd on Far C’r demonstrates proper bollard wrapping technique. At maximum inflow, about minute 27:00 on the video (you can slide the bar), you can see Cat O’ Mine behind him at 60-70 degrees off the wall with an engine cowling scraping up the concrete wall. Watch closely as the fill rate varies as the lock fills…this is very clear on the video. An F150 cowling, it turns out, is $1,200 plus $350 for the decals.

I’m not convinced that actually going through a big lock just for practice is worth the time and effort. Agree with Colby that commercial traffic always has priority, and they are professionals on the clock. If it’s a HAZMAT tow, no one else can be in the lock with him. Stuck valves etc can take all day or multiple days to fix. Our personal record for the longest delay waiting for a lock to re-open after an unscheduled emergency closure is 12 days. Do you and yours have that long on this particular Gathering?

Any C-Dory crew who obtains the info regarding what to expect, how to find the details regarding each lock system, it’s signaling system, appropriate fenders, ‘bumpy’ gloves, lines and boat hooks, HH VHF for the cockpit, line cutter and a standardized preparation regimen (or checklist) can safely negotiate any lock in the US or Canada (except the Welland Canal locks, which currently require a pro captain) and the Quebec locks that require a minimum crew of two for our solo friends.

We’ll hope to address these and any other issues for the anxious, but luck favors the well prepared. Any day, any time. We’ll buy the beer.

Colby can lead the Lighthouse Marina tour, and we’ll discuss locks as best we can, if that’s fair enough for you and Colby.

Cheers!

John
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me John! Smile Colby
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great spot for a gathering! We have cruised the area and there are lots of great anchorages in the vicinity for those that want to explore before or after the gathering. 2023 will not see as many loopers in the area because of the lock repairs on the Illinois River. Joyce and I will put it on our calendar for when we head back south after our summer boating in the north. Presently in Carabelle Florida waiting for a window for a gulf crossing. Sunday is looking good. Thanks for heading this up.

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
txmntman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, so you know I had to go back and watch the videos more closely! I’m so sorry you know the cost of an engine cowling! Smile
If you think not going through the lock is what is needed, I will agree. You gave some great reasons for not doing that exercise. If you would speak on the subject, I would greatly appreciate that. And, Colby, you are a “go” on leading us on an adventure. I am really starting to look forward to this gathering.
-Mike
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to it also. The meet in the middle was the first gathering I attended. It was on the Mississippi River, and I believe at Guttenberg that year. 20-30 boats was pretty common for those earlier gatherings then if I remember correctly. As soon as TYBOO sees this, perhaps he can get an event signup going. The Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers offer some excellent cruising. And October in this area offers some good boating weather without the summer crowds. Sometime in spring when Lighthouse Point opens up for the season, I can check with them about bringing some boats in for courtesy docking on that Wednesday of the gathering. For those not familiar, the Cumberland River comes into Lake Barkley, while the Tennessee River comes into Kentucky Lake. I have not gone much past Nashville on the Cumberland, and if I spend additional time before or after the gathering, I would likely head farther up the Cumberland. The farthest I've been on the Tennessee is Guntersville. In October on either of these rivers, I have not had any problems finding open marinas or gas. And there are plenty of places to anchor out as well. Also, current is negligible. Little more than a knot. However, beware of water level changes when beaching. We found it can change by a couple of inches over night.

Enjoying John's conversation of Wheeler lock, I can't remember if it was Wheeler or the next one Wilson. Wilson is by far the largest lift or drop on this River, at 100'. However, the day we went through the lock, it was rather windy. We were going upstream, so being locked up. In the next pool, the lock we were entering was in the northwest corner. Winds were out of the southeast, and while we heard some tows were having a bit of a problem lining up for the lock wall, we failed to ascertain the water conditions. After the lift, as the gate opened, we could see this may not have been a good idea. And it might have been nice if we were told to expect 4-6 foot confused waves pounding into the upper gate before we even entered the lock. I had planned to exit on the kicker, as I was driving from the cockpit. Seeing what was about to happen, I made a mad dash for the cabin and controls for the main engine. We took about a 45 degree roll as soon as we left the confines of the lock (which was probably actually safer than had we stayed in the lock with the waves now entering the lock.) Needless to say, it wasn't too fun until we got out of the confines of the lock lead in wall, and much better when we took the first cove above the lock. Shocked Lesson learned, in any inclement weather, it's good to find out from the lock tender what the water conditions are on the other side of the lock! I haven't really had much trouble with current or turbulence in most locks I've been through. (Except for a lock on the Erie Canal, where we ended up sitting right over the top of a valve!) I do think it depends a lot on where you stop on the wall. Asking the lock tender for the best location if they haven't already told you were to go, is also prudent if you aren't familiar with the lock. Colby
gulfcoast john

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree 100% with all Colby's pointers and will include them in our talk.

PM sent to him re our Tenn-Tom cruise.

Any Brat who wants to go through either Barkley or Kentucky Lock can do so, its a free country! It's not hard if you are prepared and flexible.

Safe Travels to all! Looking forward to the Meet!
And to getting the new knee to bend better!

Safe Travels!
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: