shakedown cruise and trim tabs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qboat

City/Region: Delmarva
State or Province: DE
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Runt
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: shakedown cruise and trim tabs Reply with quote

Hello all. After several years, I finally got a great older 22 with a near-new motor. I drove from Delaware to New Orleans to get her. Took a shakedown cruise yesterday and was very pleased. I have a number of projects for the boat. After yesterday, tabs and/or permatrim have gone to top of the list. Running into about 18" chop caused hard slaps on the near-flat bottom, and I was unable to get the bow down. I have a permatrim, which I will install shortly. I suspect this might not be enough to get the bow down, and that I will need tabs. Does anyone have experiance with permatim on a single (90 Honda) motor, without tabs, who could share whether the permatrim is sufficient? This will be a winter project, and I expect to add tabs without the ability to test the permatrim alone. Also, I know there is a wealth of information on tabs. I have gone through a lot of it and will go with Lenco electric tabs. I would love to hear opinions on the proper size for a medium-load 22 cruiser.
Thanks for any advice. This group is a huge and welcoming resource.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first 22 did not have trim tabs or Permatrim. A neighbor had a 22 with both. I rode in his boat and it made up my mind. Our first 25 had only trim tabs, so I add the Permatrim. it made a real difference. I feel for the best ride, you need both. My second 22 and 25 had both trim tabs and Permatrim.

It allows better ride in chop. Also up on plane faster, also a slower plane with bow down.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first 25 had trim tabs but not the Permatrim. I added it and it made a major improvement. My new 25 had both from day 1.

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
qboat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good enough for me--thanks both!
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 1994 CD-22 with a Yamaha 115. I put Permatrim on it not long after we bought it and have been happy with it -- it provides plenty of control and I haven't even considered trim tabs.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: shakedown cruise and trim tabs Reply with quote

qboat wrote:
Hello all. After several years, I finally got a great older 22 with a near-new motor. I drove from Delaware to New Orleans to get her. Took a shakedown cruise yesterday and was very pleased. I have a number of projects for the boat. After yesterday, tabs and/or permatrim have gone to top of the list. Running into about 18" chop caused hard slaps on the near-flat bottom, and I was unable to get the bow down. I have a permatrim, which I will install shortly. I suspect this might not be enough to get the bow down, and that I will need tabs. Does anyone have experiance with permatim on a single (90 Honda) motor, without tabs, who could share whether the permatrim is sufficient? This will be a winter project, and I expect to add tabs without the ability to test the permatrim alone. Also, I know there is a wealth of information on tabs. I have gone through a lot of it and will go with Lenco electric tabs. I would love to hear opinions on the proper size for a medium-load 22 cruiser.
Thanks for any advice. This group is a huge and welcoming resource.

I will never own another boat without trim tabs!👍👍
qboat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a chance to try her with the permatirm--no tabs--today. 2' chop--the permatrim let me get the bow down, and plane at lower speed, both big helps. Ran comforably across the chop at lowest plane circa 12-13 kts. Directly into the chop, she (that is, I) was much happier at displacement speed. I am going to go the whole hog and do the tabs this winter as well, which will clearly help even more to get the bow in the water. Big information learned today is how well the dory shape does downwind. Even in a breaking inlet with the bow trimmed up Runt was solid, with no tendency to bury the bow or broach. Felt solid. Sam
mutski

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Just Us
Photos: Just Us
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 22 Cruiser with a 90 HP Suzuki this spring. It has trim tabs but no Permatrim. My experience so far is that the trim tabs are good for leveling the boat when people and gear make one side dip. But to keep the bow down going into the wind or keep it up running downwind, motor trim has a much greater effect than the trim tabs.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutski wrote:
I bought a 22 Cruiser with a 90 HP Suzuki this spring. It has trim tabs but no Permatrim. My experience so far is that the trim tabs are good for leveling the boat when people and gear make one side dip. But to keep the bow down going into the wind or keep it up running downwind, motor trim has a much greater effect than the trim tabs.

On my 22 with a Honda, I have not noticed much difference in the pitch trim via motor tilt. The tabs work much better for me. I don't have a Permatrim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: