HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

MPG on a new 22 angler with a 70
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hholt

City/Region: Midwest
State or Province: IL
Photos: Hholt
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: MPG on a new 22 angler with a 70 Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what MPG I should expect on a new 22’ angler powered with a 70 Yamaha carrying a light to moderate load? As high as 8?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: MPG on a new 22 angler with a 70 Reply with quote

Hholt wrote:
Can anyone tell me what MPG I should expect on a new 22’ angler powered with a 70 Yamaha carrying a light to moderate load? As high as 8?

Depends on how fast you are going. You might get 8 at something like 4mph. At cruising speed it is going to be 3-4mpg. Too many unknowns in your question for a more definitive answer.
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a light to moderate load, you might want to power with a 90 hp engine.

It won't be working nearly as hard and you'll probably get better economy.
When you carry a full load, on the odd occasion, you'll have the power to get you where you want to go.

What is your intended use of the boat? An Angler, as you know, is ideally suited for fishing. If you are slow cruising, the 22 Cruiser is much preferred with a bigger dinette and nice sized galley.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
-Waypoint-

City/Region: Jensen Beach, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Photos: Waypoint
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Yamaha a 2 stroke, a 4 stroke, carb. or EFI? This all makes a big difference on fuel economy. Try not to compare a boat to a land vehicle when it comes to MPG. This will not work for boats due to different factors with vessels and currents. Use Gallons per hour for a given RPM then figure your distance. This will accurately calculate your fuel consumption for a given RPM, load, vessel type, weather, and currents.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 mpg on step at 20-30 mph would be amazing. I honestly think it's impossible. I get a lot of 3-5 mpg and I can't imagine doubling it. I do like the Yamaha 70 though, but I've heard it doesn't have the grunt of larger displacement 70 hp outboards - no idea if that is really true of not.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 8 persons aboard, I feel that the 70 would be marginal. The 90 would get the same millage as the 70 at the same speed. But then 8 persons aboard would be crowded! I have always been glad I had a 90. Running heavy, at times it is marginal. The early (pre 1987 boats had the 70), but those were lighter engines, being 2 strokes. Thus a lighter and flat Bottom boat.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the OP meant that he would be carrying 8 people on the boat. I read it that he was wondering if the mileage would be as high as 8mpg.
Hholt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was guessing that a 90 and a 70 at the same speed would have similar fuel economy, in which case I would likely go with the bigger engine. Anyway my goal is to maximize fuel efficiency for long distance travel. I want to cruise on a plane but DO NOT need a fast boat. If there’s one thing I learned on my 5k mile trip on the Isabel it’s that there are a lot of boaters out there that need to slow down!

In addition to wanting a light hull, I love to fish saltwater, and the Angler’s 6’ 4” aft cockpit is huge compared to the 4’ 6” on the Cruiser and bigger still than the 5’ 1” cockpit on the 23 Venture which is the other model I was looking at.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was guessing that a 90 and a 70 at the same speed would have similar fuel economy, in which case I would likely go with the bigger engine. Anyway my goal is to maximize fuel efficiency for long distance travel. I want to cruise on a plane but DO NOT need a fast boat

Yes your guess is correct.

I ran a search on a number of threads about what fuel usage has been reported. The most optimistic have been the ones from Boat Test. com and Honda. The Honda test used only a 50 hp, which is definitely an engine too small for the boat for conventional use. In talking to owners they cited 12 to 13 mph as top speeds with a light boat and ideal conditions. The Honda tests bear this out.

[url=https://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/props/C-Dory%2022%20Cruise
r%20-%20BF50%20Carb.pdf]Honda50 hp test on C Dory 22 cruiser. [/url]

Probably the best MPG is in the 5.6 range at a plane in the 10 to 13 mph. But this is unrealistic for average boaters.

Figuring on 4 mpg, keeping the boat light, and good conditions would be reasonable if you want to be on a plane. In realistic conditions where you may be beating into head seas and heavy wind, then you have to revise your mileage, which wi be lower.

(I did misinterpret the 8--). It would be very unrealistic to consider 8 mpg, unless you are running in the 5 mph range. If you want to reliably get a range of 200 miles, then you probably would have to do some of this at displacement speed. This is consistent to what I have observed with the 22.

If the issue is fuel cost--the average boater spends more on dockage, upkeep and insurance than the fuel costs. On a boat doing the "great loop", then fuel costs becomes significant.

If you want reliable range over 200 miles, then take additional fuel.

We find that when long trips in the 22 or 25, we use a variety of speeds, but much of it is at displacement speeds, which is consistent with our past history of many thousands of miles in sailboats.
ssobol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 22 cruiser I can sometimes get close to 5 mpg at cruising speed, but conditions have to be right. For planning purposes I use 3 mpg to figure ranges between stops. Since in my use, the boat usually cruises at around 3.5-3.7 mpg, this builds in a good cushion for contingencies. This gives a nominal range of 140 miles on standard fuel. Cruising speed in this case is ~20mph. BTW, once the CD is fully on plane, the mpg does not change much with speed.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
On my 22 cruiser I can sometimes get close to 5 mpg at cruising speed, but conditions have to be right. For planning purposes I use 3 mpg to figure ranges between stops. Since in my use, the boat usually cruises at around 3.5-3.7 mpg, this builds in a good cushion for contingencies. This gives a nominal range of 140 miles on standard fuel. Cruising speed in this case is ~20mph. BTW, once the CD is fully on plane, the mpg does not change much with speed.

Like you, I can get 5 MPG and plan on 3 MPG. When I get 5, it means the boat isn't full of cruising/fishing/shrimping/hunting crap and I keep it at 4500 rpms, which is around 17-18 mph on mostly flat water with little current. I actually get 4-5 or very close to it very consistently when I use it as a day boat for fishing over in Seward or Homer. Even at full throttle and 30 mph it still gets a bit over 3 MPG, so that's a good number to plan with. I can't imagine ever getting 8 MPG....I'd love to though because often I'm hauling around 30 gallons of gas on my little adventures into PWS and would never have to again. Fun things just burn the gas.....lots of gas....the more fun the more gas.....lol....
Hholt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear I was talking about a 22’ Angler with a Yamaha 70, which is out of the starting gate over 300 pounds lighter than a 22’ Cruiser with a 90 or a 115. There are advantages in places like the Bahamas to a smaller engine coupled with a shallow draft!
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are advantages in places like the Bahamas to a smaller engine coupled with a shallow draft!

This is true of all of Florida, and at some places up the AICW in the SE, as well as all of the GCICW all of the way to Brownsville.

But if you are taking the boat to the Bahamas, it will be loaded with other gear, and probably

Either the Angler with any outboard, and the Cruiser with any outboard, will be "shallow water boats". For example any boat going in or out of my home bayou hill have to get over a shoal which can be as shallow as 12" at an extreme low water event. 18" is not unusual in the winter.

The Yamaha 70 is a souped up 1 liter displacement 50 hp block with the same block as the 50 hp, and will develop its max hp at the high end RPM range @ 253 # wt.

The 90 is 1.8 Liter block, which it shares with the 75 and 115 hp block. The weight is 353#, only 100 lbs more than the smaller 70. We are talking about on the Angler which may or may not weigh what the factory says. (Most of the Cruisers are considerably over the weight given by the factory by scale weight.)

Will the Angler sparsely equipped get better mileage than a Cruiser 22 with minimal equipment? I contend that you probably will not be able to notice a significant difference because of so many variables. I don't know if it is range, or cost that drives your quest for information about "mileage". In either case, there are multiple variables. No-one can accurately predict what you will get to more than 1 mile per gallon variance.

I believe that you. have a predominance of testimony by a number of very experienced boaters which would suggest that the 90 hp would be a better choice.
Big dave

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Raven Dancer
Photos: Raven Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a 70 hp Yamaha 4 cycle with carbs for 17 years, running mostly heavy with 2 people on board in saltwater in all kinds of conditions all throughout the Broughtons and mpg would always be around 2.5 to 3.5.
Traded the Yamaha in last spring for a 115 Suzuki after running it last summer it seems to be doing a bit better performance wise.
Dave
Raven Dancer
Hholt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway I’m pretty much a minimalist, and going from my 16’ open aluminum skiff to a 22’ Angler is a huge step up in terms of what I can carry, but by most people’s standards I plan on packing extremely light to gunkhole the Bahamas. After a 5,000 mile run non-stop run in a small skiff you get a pretty good idea of what you need (really need) and what you don’t need. I started the voyage with too much stuff and stuff for two people since my son was with me from Marco Island to Savanna GA, and I was constantly mailing home boxes of stuff to lighten the boat. It’s always a trade off between your stuff and the weight of fuel, but for me it’s all about performance and efficiency, not cost. My longest single day ocean run was over 180 miles and I had many days where I ran well over 100, with some long grinding days riding big New England swells, and the performance of the boat in conditions like that always noticeably improved as the day wore on and I burned fuel and lost weight. Weight wise it was like going from two passengers to solo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: