The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Help with windless
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One small contribution to this thread......

I used to have endless troubles with my vertical windlass when toward the end of bringing up the rode, the rode would slip in the gypsy. I chalked this up to a worn rope near the anchor. Eventually I reversed the rode to bring fresh rope to the anchor end.....same problem.

The issue turned out to be simple. Since the vertical motor lessens the distance from the bottom of the chain locker to the spot where the rope is free to coil up, the rode made a pile inside the chain locker right up to, and touching, the windlass motor. This eliminated all the tension on the rope pulling the rest of the rode into the chain locker. These days if I have deployed a lot of rode (say over 100'), as I pull up the rode, I periodically reach inside the chain locker and push down the pile of rode under the motor distributing it more evenly throughout the locker.

Voila....no more problem.

NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
. . .I periodically reach inside the chain locker and push down the pile of rode under the motor distributing it more evenly throughout the locker. . . .

I had a vertical windlass, and that was my solution as well. Unless I had a lot or rode out, one trip to the locker through the v-berth before retrieval did the trick. It was a little more of a hassle it I was soloing and anchored in very deep water. Then I would have to stop retrieving a couple of times to smoosh out the pile - always trying to be careful not to induce snarls and knots.

jkswor

City/Region: tok
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. I think I fixed it. Discovered positive wire connected to a buss bar where other accessories are I took the red positive wire and hooked direct to charging battery. It works fine now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: