The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Once Again - LIthium Battery Install?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
If I have correctly understood Bob's post, ALL the normal charging sources (alternator, solar, and on-board Guest or other shore power charger) go directly to the FLA starting battery. The VSR is now out of the picture. The FLA starting battery is kind of a buffer for all charging sources. The FLA starting battery goes to the DC to DC charger input connectors. The DC to DC charger output connectors go to the LiO posts, and that charges the LiO battery.

Personally I would not route all the charging sources through the start battery for the following reasons:
1) With the setup you've described you can only charge your Li battery through the limited output of the DC to DC charger. This puts a lot of wear on the start battery since you are essentially forcing all house needs to go through the start battery.
2) You are limited to charging the Li battery at the rate the DC to DC charger can provide. If you provide the Li battery with its own shore power charger, you can charge it much faster when connected to shore power.
3) The above scenario may require a lot of heavy wiring to go back to the starter battery, if your house battery is located forward.

In my design the start battery is charged by the alternator and a shore power charger that is dedicated to the start battery. In an emergency, I can charge it with my generator via the shore power connector. The Li house battery is charged when underway by the DC to DC charger from the start battery. It is also charged by solar and a dedicated shore power charger, both of which are located near the house battery.

pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered what will happen if the Li battery shuts down? New ABYC guidelines recommend, but do not require, that the battery BMS provides an audible and/or visual signal to warn of imminent shutdown.

I plan to use a battery that provides such a signal (Victron Smart Battery for example) to activate both a visual and an audible alarm. I'm also incorporating a battery switch that I can use to switch all house loads (which include components critical to navigation) over to the start battery, should the house battery shut down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: