View previous topic :: View next topic  
rstinge1

City/Region: Wanchese
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Catfish
Photos: Catfish
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Head Holding Tank Reply with quote

Any recommendations as to what can be placed in the head/holding tank to enhance biologic degradation of waste safely without causing damage to factory plumbing?
Thank you.
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noflex Digester
Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thetford Aqua-Kem, available in the RV section in Walmart. Formaldehyde-free. Available in liquid or pre-measured powder.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapest is "Rid-X". This is a very commonly used septic tank treatment with both enzymes to breakdown materials, and bacteria.

I compliment this with two Raritan products: K.O. Kills Odor, and C. P. (Potty clean, for cleaning the bowl). I have used these in the RV for many years, and it works very well. The boat is a miniature of the 40 gallon holding tank of RV.

For the boat currently we have the composting head--Air Head. Works great, but you do have to periodically change the urine container. (and men have to "sit down"....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Drat, Bob types and talks and thinks and posts faster than me yet again.

If you have a pedal-flush toilet directly over a 9-gallon gravity holding tank it’s most likely a Dometic (bought out Sealand) 711 or 911 Traveller. Pull the pedal upward to add extra water to the bowl.

If you have the common Y valve option, you can select pump-out from the side deck (the dock machine does the pumping) or your macerator motor for pumping over the side when over three miles out, and not in a No Discharge Zone such as the Keys. Never use a formaldehyde containing product because next time you empty at sea it would kill untold billions of “good” sea microbes. For an RV at a campground dump station that’s no problem. Also, many additives use ‘good’ aerobic bacteria that are killed off by even trace amounts of formaldehyde.

We’ve found the most effective odor control solution is to get a pump-out at a marina every 7 days while cruising. Some are free with gas purchase, or $5 and give the dock kid $10 to do it for you. $25 + tip at Montebello Quebec is our record to date. Buy and use your own deck pump-out adapter. The adapters the marina has may be old and worn and mis- threaded enough to cause an unwanted geyser. Make sure your vent line to the holding tank is not kinked or clogged with insect nests. We’ve tried all the additives and currently like Happy Camper with Raritan Kills Odors (also goes down the sink to drain directly overboard) and Raritan Cleans Potties (both cheaper online than at West Marine). Raritan says their products can not be used with ANYTHING else, but seems to work fine. You can often get the West Exterminator blue or Pure Oceans green stuff on Buy One Get One Free sales if you want to try them too. Good mixing in choppy waters can help.

Water in the bowl is the odor blocker. If your bowl won’t hold water for a week, the seals need to be replaced. Call Environmental Marine, seals come with replacement instructions; a 2-beer job. Mine only last 1-3 years but we cruise all year.

https://www.environmentalmarine.com/2-part-bowl-seals-without-drain-holes-311462-replaces-310677/

After 10 years at the job, the sewage hose from the holding tank to the macerator (or deck pump-out if no macerator option) becomes permeable and could be replaced with the best quality sewage hose you can find if nothing else helps.

If you have the infamous Jabsco series 18590 pump, ensure that none of the 4 body bolts is broken internally by turning the nuts. The first earliest symptom of possible impending failure is that it blows apart and sprays sewage all over the under counter compartment when you turn it on. The ‘gasket’ is paper, the rebuild kit is $58 and the newer SS bolts last longer than the old bronze ones in the ‘tough’ environment they work in. Your fishbox macerator pumps may be the same.

https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-18590-2092-Macerator-Protection-Evacuation/dp/B000O8F9BI/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&hvadid=78408977449824&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=jabsco+macerator+pump+18590-2092&qid=1605400781&sr=8-1&tag=mh0b-20

Many Brats have converted to the AirHead composting option for #2 (pee is diverted to a separate container you must cart to the restroom. Sounds like Fun). They are an irrepressibly enthusiastic bunch (although not only on the universally fascinating subject of sewage management.) Maybe I will join them someday.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers!

John

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, this thread just makes me like the idea of the "AirHead" even better. If I ever..... it will be an AirHead for sure.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For an RV at a campground dump station that’s no problem.

Not necessarily true John. Ask any owner of a septic system. For those systems to work, rather they are private or campgrounds, it's best not to dump the really nasty chemicals down them, like formaldehyde. They all need the good microbes to digest the "crap" we dump in them. I would bet even if connected to the city sewage system, they'd prefer no harsh chemicals. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: