The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Land Between the Lakes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
txmntman

City/Region: GEORGETOWN
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Saint Somewhere
Photos: Saint Somewhere
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Land Between the Lakes? Reply with quote

Seems like the ‘Land Between the Lakes’ would be a great place to go. Lots of water, two huge lakes that come together, wonderful scenery. Just thinking would anyone be interested in a gathering there in2023? Has anyone cruised that area who can shed some light on these lakes? It looks to be a very interesting area. Let me know your thoughts!
For those not familiar, Land between the Lakes is the land between Kenyucky Lake and Lake Barkley in Kentucky and Tennessee. Supposedly a “boater’s Paradise”

Boston Whaler Montauk "Joe Bob" Sold
Hobie Cat "Mikey Likes It" Sold
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had given some thought to starting the Meet in the Middle gathering back up, but rather than on the Mississippi, moving it to one of the Lakes you are looking at. (Kentucky Lake or Lake Barkley.) I decided I really didn't want the responsibility to host a gathering, and like my flexibility to change plans at the last minute. That being said, I think that area would make for a wonderful gathering location. There are numerous marinas and state parks in the area, and both the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers offer some great cruising for before or after any gathering. I believe if you posted dates early enough, you could get a decent turn out of up to 20 boats. (Considering past gatherings on the Meet in the Middle on the Mississippi River.) l have in the past been able to park my truck and trailer (with no problems) at the Kentucky Lake Dam State Park, for several weeks at a time. But not without some hesitation. Officially, long term (or even overnight) parking is not allowed. However in direct communication with the park ranger, was told it would be ok. Getting a hold of the park ranger is somewhat difficult, and doubtful authorization would be given for a large group to park. There is one marina on the Barkley side I believe, that is also a KOA, and would welcome us. But dicey getting in to their marina during low water levels. (Have to follow charts closely). (The lake is drawn down to winter pool starting in late September. But should be back up with the Spring rains/floods) But there are still many other marinas that may be available. I don't have my information any more, but one or two marinas said overnighting on one's boat would not be allowed.... In the past, the Meet in the Middle was held the first weekend after Labor Day. This is probably a good time to continue, as boating activity has died down some, but most the marinas are still open, and water levels still good. Early October offers some great fall colors.
Land Between the Lakes has one area, Patti's Settlement, that offers some interesting shops and good restaurants. Lighthouse marina is right there, but my experience is they don't have a lot of slips available during the height of boating season. There are nice areas to just anchor out as well, and perhaps finding a anchorage with good beach access would work well also. In summary, both Barkley and Kentucky Lakes would offer a great place for a gathering. Another Lake I'd recommend would be Lake Cumberland. There are two marinas side by side, the Lake Cumberland State Dock, and then the Jamestown Safe Harbor Marina. I prefer Jamestown, as there is ample parking that is also very secure. The Lake is big enough to also allow some slow cruising around it's expansive shoreline, or plenty of other water activities.
And yes, if the timing worked out within my schedule, I'd be very interested in attending a gathering on any of these lakes. Colby
txmntman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I’m not sure what all is involved with “hosting” a gathering, but I would be up for calling marinas, finding a place to launch, a place to put the boats, find out about parking the trailers… but I don’t know the lakes, having never been up there.
Folks, let me know how many might be interested in “Meeting in the Middle” sometime in Sept - Oct of 2023, so I have a clue when I talk to the marinas. No pressure, I just need to know whether we are talking about 2 boats or 20 boats.
Thanks! I think it could be tons of fun!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txmntman thanks for volunteering to "host" the meeting. What you have proposed is what is necessary. Typically there are at least one potluck dinner, but that is up to those who are coming. For example at Apalachicola, there were all meals except lunch provided, but Marc Grove (Wefings) had all of the facilities and cookers etc. Others there have been just meals at local restaurants. The Lake Powell gatherings were all in a fairly remote area and boats just stern or bow to the beach, but they were in a calm area, where there were no wakes to contend with.

We would be up for a gathering "in the middle". (18' Caracal Cat and our RV). We will be willing to help in anyway we can. There are a number of C Dory owners who live within a day or so drive from this area.

We are most familiar with Pickwick Lake (have friends who live on the Lake and Marie grew up spending many weekends on Pickwick.). There is a state park and a marina.

Many from the middle of the US come to the Hontoon St. John's River gathering in March. Great way to attend a gathering, and meet other C brats.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in gatherings in the middle. My actual attendance would depend on when it was exactly and work schedules.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked my charts, and the marina I was thinking of, is Prizer Point KOA and Marina. It's on Lake Barkley. It'd probably be a nice place for a gathering. They also have a pool. And anybody that wanted to come in a camper, it's also a campground. Lighthouse Landing Marina, on the Kentucky Lake side, is just a few blocks from Patti's Settlement at Land Between the Lakes. As I stated earlier, they usually don't have a lot of slips available, but you never know. Green Turtle Bay is another large marina at the north end of Lake Barkley, also near Patti's Settlement. For any cruising along either the Tennessee or Cumberland Rivers, Jerry Hey puts out a very nice Guide Book on each River. This would also cover areas along the lakes, since they are impoundments of the Rivers. Both lakes offer some great views and plenty of water for cruising. However, like many damned up rivers, there are places you can go out of the channels without worry, but other places you have to pay attention to the charts or stay in the buoyed channels. This would especially be true at lower pools. I do have a number of waypoints and tracks saved for this area, and if you have navigation software, such as Homeport, I'm more than willing to share the file. There are so many ramps and marinas around those two lakes, or even the rivers, that one could launch wherever they felt inclined to, and then cruise to the gathering. There is a small canal crossover at the north end of the lakes to get from one to the other.

I'll reiterate what I said also about Lake Cumberland. It is a very scenic lake, and the State Park offers not only the marina and campground, but a hotel and cabins as well. This is also true at some of the State Parks on Kentucky and Barkley Lakes. Kentucky has some great State Park destinations. The Jamestown Safe Harbor marina on Lake Cumberland also offers camping and lodging. Unfortunately, you can not cruise from the Kentucky/Barkley Lakes into Lake Cumberland. Colby
txmntman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will make some phone calls to some marinas next week and get their reaction to a gathering of C-dorys...-Mike
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are presently in Clifton Tennessee at the Clifton Marina doing the Great Loop. We were at Green Turtle Bay about 10 days ago. Great Marina with lots of slips. However lots of loopers this time of year. Not near as many in early September. The meet in the middle gathering was traditionally held the first weekend after Labor Day. Nice cruising that time of year but a little warm. I hope you can get it all together as we miss the gatherings that Ken and Tex held in years past. My wife and I have hosted the Hontoon Island gathering in Florida for the last 9 years and each one has been a joy. Looking forward to number 10! If you want any advice you can always PM me.

Glad to see that making the callls…..Thanks Tom

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Pandy Girl

City/Region: Westfield, NC
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Pandy Girl
Photos: Pandy Girl
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a great place to have this, Early Oct. would be a great time (My Openion) We have been looking at the Lakes but have never been there. We are very interested in a Cruse there. 22 ft Pandy Girl
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the Tennessee lakes, but on the upper Mississippi, marinas are starting to shut down for the winter in Late September. Finding fuel could be a problem. So that should be checked out, if you want to cruise the lakes and rivers out of the Land between the Lakes area. (Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers)
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the Cumberland River the last two weeks of October (Lake Barkley) and had no problems finding fuel or open marinas. (Neither of which I needed, but still passed through a few.) But as Bob said, always best to know what's available before boating later in the season. Colby
JohnnyD

City/Region: Panama City
Vessel Name: Gypsy Rose
Photos: Gypsy Rose
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Land Between the Lakes Reply with quote

I work full time with not as much vacation as I'd like. However, I'd be in if the gathering incorporated a weekend.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Land Between the Lakes Reply with quote

JohnnyD wrote:
I work full time with not as much vacation as I'd like. However, I'd be in if the gathering incorporated a weekend.

Unfortunately the Hontoon, gathering is on a week day because of potential crowding at the marina on a weekend. That is a day's drive away for you. But the land between the middle will be a bit longer--which can be done in a long day. We usually go I 10 to Mobile, AL. US 45 thru Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky to US 68 and to the land between the lakes area. Where you leave 45 depends on what marina is selected'
JohnnyD

City/Region: Panama City
Vessel Name: Gypsy Rose
Photos: Gypsy Rose
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, Dr. Bob, by the way it was a pleasure to meet you and Marie at the Hontoon gathering in March. I know that you’re a generous person with all the help that you provide here, I’ve learned so much from you and the others. Furthermore, when I asked my dad (Bob) to grab a bag of ice from the Hontoon store because I current didn’t have my wallet, you reached in your pocket to help us out; I declined but your generosity was showing through once again.

I didn’t bring my 2006, 22’ Cruiser to the gathering b/c I was having her re-powered (2022 Suzuki 115 – drive by wire), but I’m itching to do so now. My dad (Bob), a fellow C-Dory owner (another Bob) (1999, 22’ Cruiser) from Panama City and I stayed at one of the Hooton cabins which allowed us to stay on the island, mingle and listen to your teachings as well as John’s. It was a great experience and nice to put faces with communications here on C-Brats….James, Colby, Mike, yourself and others.
I was lobbying for the “meet in the middle” gathering to be over a weekend for (selfish reasons) saving of vacation days.

P.S. I hope James is ok…I haven’t seen him post since Ian hit and I know his area got hit extremely hard; historic rainfall water which he’s probably still dealing with, as well as no electricity. I can relate having lived through Hurricane Michael in 2018, it’ll take years to recover from Ian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: