The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Just joined and saying "Hi"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TallBob

City/Region: Crisfield
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Just joined and saying "Hi" Reply with quote

We are on the Chesapeake Bay in Crisfield, MD. We have a dock in our backyard but it's missing a C-Dory. We are interested in day cruising the region with occasional overnighting. Looking to learn more about the various C-Dory models and which may be best for us.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to C-Brats Bob. You may wish to look at the factory website of Northwest Marine Industries that make C-Dory boats. https://nmiboats.com Any of the enclosed cabin C-Dory models would be a good choice for doing an overnight trip. The boats are easily trailerable and who knows, you may find yourself traveling with it to the west coast someday! In buying used, it would be wise to have a Marine Survey done after putting a deposit on the boat to hold it. Let us know what you find.
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! We’re out of Aberdeen Proving Ground near Havre de Grace. We have a nicely restored 1994 CD-22 and we absolutely love it! This site was part of our discovery and we found ours for sale on here and bought it in March of 2021.

We’re happy to meet sometime and give you a tour and a float if the weather permits!

Dan & Janet
CD—22 Navire
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the list. I was born in Havre de Grace, and don't remember any part of my childhood not fishing, crabbing and hunting (body booting!) the Bay. I have a C-Dory at my place here on Anderson Island. I did bring my father's center-cockpit crabbing boat (rigged for line crabbing) here for a few years, but it has low gunnels and a cabin boat suited me better here in cold, splashy, rainy Puget Sound. After so many years using open boats, I thought the cabin on the C-Dory would be too hot in nice weather, but as it turns out, it is kind of a refuge when it gets really hot. I think you will find the cabin greatly extends your boating time and comfort there as well. The relatively flat bottom opens up a lot of water you couldn't use, as well.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to this fantastic group. Lots of satisfied C-Dory owners, with lots of stories, lot of general guidance and plenty of technical advice.
I lived with open boats most of my life and enjoyed most all of them. Once I got a boat that I could drive from inside, I then got to go boating all year, with very little weather restrictions.
Come to Portsmouth, VA and have a tour and a boat ride and do it on a day, when other boats usually won't leave the dock. If interested, feel free to send me a message, via this site.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robhwa wrote:
Welcome to the list. I was born in Havre de Grace, and don't remember any part of my childhood not fishing, crabbing and hunting (body booting!) the Bay. I have a C-Dory at my place here on Anderson Island. I did bring my father's center-cockpit crabbing boat (rigged for line crabbing) here for a few years, but it has low gunnels and a cabin boat suited me better here in cold, splashy, rainy Puget Sound. After so many years using open boats, I thought the cabin on the C-Dory would be too hot in nice weather, but as it turns out, it is kind of a refuge when it gets really hot. I think you will find the cabin greatly extends your boating time and comfort there as well. The relatively flat bottom opens up a lot of water you couldn't use, as well.

Excellent point! We have an a/c unit that we can use when it gets terribly hot and it’s wonderful to have the refuge.
TallBob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the greetings. I lived in Cecil County from 1990 through 2018 and now we're down in Crisfield, MD. I remember Havre de Grace well -- I studied classical organ there at the UM Church. I also have a friend out on Dr Jack Rd. We used to keep our 40ft at Jackson Marine south-west of North East.

I love the idea of the C-Dory design and hope to have one someday. I am stepping "up" from a 40ft cruiser to a much more practical boat since I'm now 70 years old. Down here in Crisfield the waterways are pretty shallow which is another plus for CDs. We spent some time looking at the current CD models and the one thing that struck us was that the "Mates" seating does not really exist. (I hope, I'm wrong). What we are looking for is a CD that has a Captains Chair and a Mates Chair that are pretty much the same. It's just the two of us. Also, I am pretty tall (6'6" with 38" pants) and I'm concerned about knee room. I have already given up on headroom, but I'm used to that. A stand-up head is preferred. any suggestions on older models to think about?

We're going to the Annapolis Boat Show on 10/9 and hope to see some CDs there.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably unlikely to see c Dory at Annapolis show. The high top 22 and the t25 both have enough head room for you. I would suggest cutting out the port forward bulkhead, to give you more bunk room in the V berth. The forward port side seat (variously called the Admiral's or Navigator's seat is achieved by just moving the forward table cushion to the back of the forward seat. Some 22's have the "Barber" seat modification, where the forward seat slides back, and part of the table folds down. You could put a pedestal chair on either the 25 or Tom Cat (or venture 26, that could be on a base to swivel.

My wife, Marie, prefers to ride in the back forward facing seat. That way she has a place to put the book she is reading or look at, or annotate a paper chart. Also the ride is a little better back there. My multi function display would send the image to an I Pad, and Marie can watch the radar for me, allowing my eyes to be on the water in reduced visibility.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
TallBob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great ideas. On our old 40' we had a pair of Aragoni pedistals and that worked great. I like your suggestion about using the dinette table as a "nav" station. I hadn't thought of that.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find the helm position a little tight for long legs. I wish there was a toe box cut in to the helm station at the bottom for more foot space. If you get the reversible mate's seat, it will probably have similar leg room to the helm. My 22 has the reversible seat, but we never used it in the forward facing position. The aft seat at the dinette works fine for the mate and the cabin of the 22 is not big enough that the distance from the captain to the mate is a problem.

You might want to talk to Pocket Yacht Company in Grasonville. MD. They can get C-Dorys in trade for Rangers or Cutwaters. https://www.pocketyachtco.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: