The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Simrad RPU80 Pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstrpo

City/Region: Battle Ground
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Simrad RPU80 Pump Reply with quote

Hi All,

My Tomcat has a AP16 autopilot computer that was not powering up. I found a broken connector on either power or ground and fixed it so the computer powers up now and seems ready to go (already configured and such). Unfortunately, the RPU80 pump seems frozen. I haven't found anything online to help diagnose the issue other than "bypass the computer and try to drive it directly" which I did to no affect. Anyone have any experience with these motors? Other diagnostic steps to take?

Thanks,
Pat

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you apply 12 volt power to the pump directly. This bypasses the relays or switching diodes, and will tell you specifically if the motor is bad, Occasionally there can be hung up impellers or pistons in the pump. A quick power one way and then the other might free this up. Also you should check any fuses on line to the pump, which are often different than the fuse to the computer.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
mstrpo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try a direct 12V feed to the motor with no visible or audible effect. I did not try reversing polarity. I did pull the brushes but they looked fine. I was thinking of pulling the motor apart to see if I could free it but am reluctant to disconnect the hydraulics.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most auto pilot pumps run in both directions. Try reversing the leads. If it is a bad motor, you are going to have to pull the hydraulics anyway. The new pump will most likely come as a package with the same hydraulic fittings as the old.
mstrpo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my delayed response. Finally getting back to this.

First of all, thanks for the responses!

Hydraulic steering is new to me and so a bit tentative pulling it apart. As this system is pretty old and I'm planning to upgrade the electronics and add AIS, etc, I'm wondering how much to invest in the existing AP. I assume a new AP will be significantly better with new features and connectivity. Is that a good assumption? Is it worth the investment to repair this system? Hard questions to answer with "yes/no" so looking for some perspective.

Thanks!
Pat
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. I assume a new AP will be significantly better with new features and connectivity. Is that a good assumption? Is it worth the investment to repair this system? Hard questions to answer with "yes/no" so looking for some perspective.

Although there have been significant improvements in the 17 years since your pilot was first built, if the pilot was doing what you wanted: keeping a steady course, and the repair is not overly expensive, then it would be logical to continue to use this pilot. My last 25 had a 15 year old pilot and it did everything I wanted it to do.

The other electronics have made significant improvements, with use of 3 different GPS systems, fast acquisition and better accuracy. I find the fish finder/depth sounders have the most significant improvement. If you are upgrading all of the electronics, and go with a brand other than those of Navico, then you will probably want to use the pilot of the brand which you choose.
mstrpo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob! After posting, I read a few online articles on today's AP's and it didn't seem there are that many improvements, especially if you are not connected to a chart plotter. If you are, then the integration w/in brands is best.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am old fashioned and carry paper charts, although I love GPS, I want to look at the broad picture. I don't plot out routes and waypoints, unless it is a run such as to my home bayou.. I often set the auto pilot to magnetic courses. I don't use auto routing, even though the last few chart plotters had that feature.

The boat we took to Europe had a very old design (1960's) commercial grade autopilot and it was very reliable for over 40,000 miles. I could not say the same for the boat we took to Alaska and then to Pensacola, which was a "state of the art" (1990's) at that time. Accuracy and reliability are paramount. I don't use "fishing patterns".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: