The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Lower unit bolts--thread locker vs. gasket sealant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken O

City/Region: West Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ravens' Roost
Photos: Ravens’ Roost
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Lower unit bolts--thread locker vs. gasket sealant Reply with quote

Time to replace the Honda BF90 impeller. Last time I just put Locktite blue on the bolts that attach the lower unit to the rest of the engine. So far I've only run the motor in fresh water, but there's salt water in the future. Several forums advocate some sort of gasket sealer on these bolts so they don't seize after sitting in salt water. The Honda manual specifies Locktite 271, which is the red stuff. Maybe the spec has changed, but I can't see using the permanent-need-a-torch-to-get-it-off stuff here.

My guess would be to go with Locktite blue again, but maybe there are better options. What has worked for people and what has not worked? Thanks!

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken O,
I overhaul outboards for a hobby and have worked on every brand and size. I've got a least 10, that I am finishing up at this time.
After YEARS of failures and seeing corrosion from minor to major, my solution to ensuring that a fastener comes apart in the future is to use Tef-Gel on them. The stuff is expensive, but it really works and you only use small amounts. Tef-Gel forms a barrier, so that stainless to aluminum will not cause corrosion. Tef-Gel also prevent stainless steel fasteners from galling. With few exceptions, I use Tef-Gel on every fastener on outboards, trailers and most anything else that may see saltwater.
Additionally, larger surfaces, such as drive shafts, shift shafts, water pick up tube, prop shaft, etc, I coat with liberal amounts of Green Grease. Green Grease can be purchased at Napa or other auto stores. Green Grease is water proof and it is synthetic, so you can use it to coat your impeller before installing it, as well as use it to cover battery terminals, etc. Green Grease comes in a large grease gun size container, but it is very inexpensive.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put a little Green Grease on the threads before inserting the bolts back into the housing. Be sure to follow recommended torque specs for your motor.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Grease-101-Waterproof-Temperature/dp/B004Y06YT8/ref=asc_df_B004Y06YT8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198082385931&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10482270818315053456&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032999&hvtargid=pla-351035434061&psc=1

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lower unit bolts--thread locker vs. gasket sealant Reply with quote

Ken O wrote:
Time to replace the Honda BF90 impeller. Last time I just put Locktite blue on the bolts that attach the lower unit to the rest of the engine. So far I've only run the motor in fresh water, but there's salt water in the future. Several forums advocate some sort of gasket sealer on these bolts so they don't seize after sitting in salt water. The Honda manual specifies Locktite 271, which is the red stuff. Maybe the spec has changed, but I can't see using the permanent-need-a-torch-to-get-it-off stuff here.

My guess would be to go with Locktite blue again, but maybe there are better options. What has worked for people and what has not worked? Thanks!

IME, Locktite Red is not permanent. Might take a little more umph than Blue but not that much more. Maybe on small screws it is stronger, but nothing you can put a wrench on.
Ken O

City/Region: West Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Ravens' Roost
Photos: Ravens’ Roost
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch for the thoughts. I have both Tef Gel and waterproof marine grease. My Tohatsu 9.8 kicker manual specifies Tef Gel for certain inner parts. I've had the same little tube for several years, so the cost isn't an issue.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used red Locktite on my bikes for years so nothing would come apart. Which it did with blue Locktite. Never had a problem removing red coated screws; If you can get a wrench on them, they'll come out.

Boris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: