The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

San Jaun and Puget Sound October cruising questions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_b

City/Region: Rogue Valley
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: San Jaun and Puget Sound October cruising questions? Reply with quote

Hi again brats. The last time I posted a question on this forum I was in the new boat research phase. We went to the Seattle boat show last winter and after much deep thought we placed a order on a new Ranger R25.
Anyway our previous boat was a 24’ Alumaweld which we used extensively on our home waters of the lakes of SW Oregon and the S. Oregon coast. We have never boated in the Puget Sound or San Jaun area. We are scheduled for the Ranger factory delivery experience at Rangers marina in Des Moines for our new R25 in early October. After the factory delivery experience we are hoping to possibly cruise north after training if the weather permits, and possibly cruise all the way up to the San Jauns. I’ve been reading the Waggoner Guide, but we’re looking for a little more information. I know generally the weather can get a little more volatile in October. We are conservative boaters and don’t want to take any unnecessary risks. We know in boating it’s a good idea to have multiple plans so we have tentatively created a few possible plans depending on the weather conditions. We were hoping to get some opinions and thoughts on them…

Plan A:
Cruise from Des Moines to the San Juan’s if wether permits..
Question : In early October generally how likely is the weather good enough for that trip? We know timing is critical for Deception pass. We would probably be more inclined to take the more conservative Swinomish Channel anyway .

Plan B:
If the weather is not good for plan A how feasible is a run from Des Moines to La Conner? Or do you have any other northward marinas or anchorages that you think might be a good fit for plan B?

Plan C:
If the weather windows are not agreeable for plan A or B what are some good cruising suggestions for the South Sound, which are close to Des Moines?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Mike
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Well, my question to you is what is the best polish to use on a crystal ball? I know the professional weatherman can be wrong half the time and still keep his job, but since I'm not professional, I'm concerned about being wrong or right half of the time.

By October, the weather is more changeable than earlier in the summer. You can get days of good or bad and it may only be short spurts. As in boating anywhere, anytime, you just have to watch the weather and pick your Wx windows.

If you get a day, go for it. If it blow up go find a hiding hole and wait.

Hard to be really specific. Oct can be beautiful, and when it is, go. If not, don't go.

Enjoy your Ranger.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Mike_b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Hi Mike,

Well, my question to you is what is the best polish to use on a crystal ball? I know the professional weatherman can be wrong half the time and still keep his job, but since I'm not professional, I'm concerned about being wrong or right half of the time.

By October, the weather is more changeable than earlier in the summer. You can get days of good or bad and it may only be short spurts. As in boating anywhere, anytime, you just have to watch the weather and pick your Wx windows.

If you get a day, go for it. If it blow up go find a hiding hole and wait.

Hard to be really specific. Oct can be beautiful, and when it is, go. If not, don't go.

Enjoy your Ranger.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Thanks for the reply. We boat on the Oregon coast, so I’m very aware of the difficulty with weather predictions. I just wanted to get a general idea of the weather characteristics in the Puget Sound that time of year and how it relates to cruising because I’ve never boated up there. Sounds fairly similar to the Oregon coast, which is what I expected.

Thanks
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you are within the region can make a lot of difference. We get about 50 inches of rainfall here on Anderson Island, and I like to get to the "rain shadow" of the Olympics just about any time during the rainy season. All of October can be wet depending on where you are. There isn't as much difference in sunny/rainy days as actual precip. Personally, I think geographical differences are emphasized during October. There is a reason the San Juans and NE Olympic Peninsula are are popular with retirees.

Precip
Days Place Inches
--------------------------------------
150 Anacortes 29.0
169 Bellingham 34.7
167 Bremerton 56.9
148 Oak Harbor, Whidbey Island 19.9
125 Olga, Orcas Island 29.2
163 Olympia 50.6
141 Port Townsend 19.1
156 Seattle 39.3
167 Shelton 67.9
156 Tacoma 40.8
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We boated all thru Oct. when we had the Cal 46 out of Sequim for 4 years. There can be severe storms- or wonderful fall days. In Oct we were returning from AK. So we were at the San Juans or further North during this time.

You are paying some big bucks for the "Ranger Experience". There will be people there who should be experts on the local weather. I would ask them at that time. You are going to do--what the weather dictates at the time.

I am not all that familiar with the outboard Ranger Tug 25. I believe that it is very similar to the older RT 23, which I am familiar with (Mystery Girl--Bill) has been on may cruises that we have been on. These boats have much more dead rise than the C Dory 25, and will do better punching into chop. Big seas can be primatial in any small boat. The C Dory may run better down wind and seas. This will be related to how the boat is trimmed.

I would try and get to the San Juans. We have always enjoyed them, with many different boats from a 14' aluminum skiff towed behind our RV, and taken that boat from Island to Island--We have friends with a home on Obstruction Island and have visited there a number of times--both our22's and 25's have been to the San Juans, as well as the fore mentioned Cal 46.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing about the San Juan's is that it is a relatively short distance from on to the next and the there is generally reasonable good wind protection from some direction, and also, mostly, no long fetches.

Are the Ranger folks going to spend some time with you on your new boat? That time would be worthwhile.

Again, all the best.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Mike_b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:

Are the Ranger folks going to spend some time with you on your new boat? That time would be worthwhile.

Again, all the best.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Yes we got the factory delivery experience. It was part of the boat show special.
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mike. Congratulations on your Ranger Tug Purchase.
We live in Port Orchard, Wa and have traveled in both directions as we once owned a house on Anderson Is.
October can be a really pleasant time to cruise in the NW and I'd say that for most years plan A is doable. if the weather stable at the time you are there your could possible make stops at Langley, Cornet Bay State Park (which now has new docks with lots of space) which is right at Deception Pass so a good location to wait for slack CURRENT. Something to consider on cruising the San Juans in October is the very high probability of FOG which can last most of the day at times. So if you're concerned about going into a new area you should consider that aspect. If you do go out into the Straights from deception pass you have a couple choices... 1.head for Cattle Pass at south tip of San Juan Island, I don.t have a chart but pretty sure it will be about 26 miles of open water or you can choose Lopez Pass which is much less open water crossing Rosario Straight. Or go up Swinomish Chanel to LaConner. From there go up around Cypress Is and thru Pevine Pass which is probably the shortest crossing of the straight (if weather kicks up probably your best choice.
Plan B.... if the weather isnt great but you still want to head North a couple spots you might enjoy would be Bell Harbor on the Seattle waterfront which gives you easy access to downtown. Blake Island State Park is a good place to go for a hike around the island (5mi or so). A trip in to Bremerton and follow that up with a stop over in Paulsbo for a nice stop. From there Kingston is a good area then up to Port Ludlow for a stop over then up to Port Townsend. All doable if weather isn't the best.
Plan C... cruise the South Sound. A stop for lunch at Boat Works there,s a nice cafe there, then on down to Oro Bay for a good anchorage but really no where to go. Boston Harbor, Jarrell Cove State Park is a nice stop. Olympia always a good stop especially if farmers market is going on.
Bottom is, you are testing out and becoming familiar with new systems and breaking in a new motor and will have some limitations no doubt one of which will be a fluid change out at a relatively short time frame if it's like most break in periods. IMHO I would opt for Plan B as there is much to see and do and plenty of facilities available if you have unexpected issues. Have a great trip.
Dave (SeaWitch)
(25 cruiser)
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get fired up about late season cruising in the San Juans and beyond, I would recommend a thread on Trawler Forum on the travels of the Emma B. Surprisingly nice weather after the kids are back in school and the maddening crowds have gone wherever they go. One picture late in the thread, taken in the Broughtons on the winter solstice, really gets me thinking. Yes, there would be some snotty weather, but that's what enclosed cabins are for.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s64/travels-emma-b-jd-powered-helmsman-33804-5.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mike_b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schuster wrote:
Hello Mike. Congratulations on your Ranger Tug Purchase.
We live in Port Orchard, Wa and have traveled in both directions as we once owned a house on Anderson Is.
October can be a really pleasant time to cruise in the NW and I'd say that for most years plan A is doable. if the weather stable at the time you are there your could possible make stops at Langley, Cornet Bay State Park (which now has new docks with lots of space) which is right at Deception Pass so a good location to wait for slack CURRENT. Something to consider on cruising the San Juans in October is the very high probability of FOG which can last most of the day at times. So if you're concerned about going into a new area you should consider that aspect. If you do go out into the Straights from deception pass you have a couple choices... 1.head for Cattle Pass at south tip of San Juan Island, I don.t have a chart but pretty sure it will be about 26 miles of open water or you can choose Lopez Pass which is much less open water crossing Rosario Straight. Or go up Swinomish Chanel to LaConner. From there go up around Cypress Is and thru Pevine Pass which is probably the shortest crossing of the straight (if weather kicks up probably your best choice.
Plan B.... if the weather isnt great but you still want to head North a couple spots you might enjoy would be Bell Harbor on the Seattle waterfront which gives you easy access to downtown. Blake Island State Park is a good place to go for a hike around the island (5mi or so). A trip in to Bremerton and follow that up with a stop over in Paulsbo for a nice stop. From there Kingston is a good area then up to Port Ludlow for a stop over then up to Port Townsend. All doable if weather isn't the best.
Plan C... cruise the South Sound. A stop for lunch at Boat Works there,s a nice cafe there, then on down to Oro Bay for a good anchorage but really no where to go. Boston Harbor, Jarrell Cove State Park is a nice stop. Olympia always a good stop especially if farmers market is going on.
Bottom is, you are testing out and becoming familiar with new systems and breaking in a new motor and will have some limitations no doubt one of which will be a fluid change out at a relatively short time frame if it's like most break in periods. IMHO I would opt for Plan B as there is much to see and do and plenty of facilities available if you have unexpected issues. Have a great trip.
Dave (SeaWitch)
(25 cruiser)

Thanks for the great detailed response, that was just what I was hoping for! Given this new information I will have to discuss this with my wife further. She really wants to go to the San Jauns if possible, but I get your point about maybe some version of plan B being a better choice given our circumstances.

As I said earlier my ocean type boating experience has always been on the Oregon coast. I've always had a 10 knot MAX wind rule as a part of our weather related voyage decision making process which has served me well. This rule also applies to the preceding and following 12 hours (trend). Is that a good policy for the San Jauns / Puget sound?
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike_b wrote:

As I said earlier my ocean type boating experience has always been on the Oregon coast. I've always had a 10 knot MAX wind rule as a part of our weather related voyage decision making process which has served me well. This rule also applies to the preceding and following 12 hours (trend). Is that a good policy for the San Jauns / Puget sound?

Hmmm you might be hard pressed to find many windows where the winds don't blow more than 10 knots for the day and the 12 hours before and after. However there are frequent weather windows and the distances are that far in the San Juans.
Mike_b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnr wrote:
Mike_b wrote:

Hmmm you might be hard pressed to find many windows where the winds don't blow more than 10 knots for the day and the 12 hours before and after. However there are frequent weather windows and the distances are that far in the San Juans.

Ok.
I should have been more clear on that post. The part of the coast where we boat the wind almost always picks up in the afternoon. As long as this afternoon wind only lasts a few hours or so I disregard it. I try to avoid any scenario that involves 10+ knots of wind that is preceding or following our trip that is forecasted to last more than a few hours or so.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get good and bad in october. But neither last more than a few days. Just go and hideout at the many parks and ports if you hit a spot of bad weather. There will be a lot of great days during october. As far as swinomish channel versus deception pass. Take the pass. You can be past it in a half hour or so. Hang out at cornet bay till the tides are right and go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: