The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Towing a 22" with FJ Cruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Towing a 22" with FJ Cruiser Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I've been using an older short/mid wheelbase Jeep with a 2000# tow rating to tow my 16 Cruiser. It works ok. I can feel the load, the reduced braking, and I drive more carefully when towing.

I'm looking at going up to a 22 Angler, and instead of the Jeep towing it with my Toyota FJ Cruiser. I really like the FJ, and it's rated for 5000#. However, I don't have any "Seat of the pants" towing experience with it yet. It's wheel base is not a whole lot longer that the Jeep. it does have a wider track width.

Does anyone on here tow with and F cruiser or similar? And how do you think it would handle a 22 (or 19') angler?

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tow my 22' cruiser with an '08 Nissan Pathfinder. Works fine and I don't have any trepidation with towing the boat long distances. But then I used to tow this boat with a Toyota minivan, which also worked pretty well. The main advantage to the Pathfinder is 4WD for steep and/or unimproved ramps. On the highway there isn't any really noticeable difference in towing performance.

My Pathfinder can tow 6K#. The minivan was 3.5K#. The thing I miss most about the minivan is the interior space compared to the Pathfinder. The Pathfinder loses out here BIG time.
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
I tow my 22' cruiser with an '08 Nissan Pathfinder. Works fine and I don't have any trepidation with towing the boat long distances. But then I used to tow this boat with a Toyota minivan, which also worked pretty well. The main advantage to the Pathfinder is 4WD for steep and/or unimproved ramps. On the highway there isn't any really noticeable difference in towing performance.

My Pathfinder can tow 6K#. The minivan was 3.5K#. The thing I miss most about the minivan is the interior space compared to the Pathfinder. The Pathfinder loses out here BIG time.

It's good to know that with a 3500# tow rated vehicle you did ok. I guess I should be fine with a 5000# rated vehicle. But I also tend to load my vehicle with some gear.

I wonder how much weight could be saved with an aluminum trailer!?
goikem

City/Region: Bishop
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've towed a ~4000lb travel trailer probably 15k miles with my FJ Cruiser over the last 8 years. Handling on steep and winding coastal and mountain roads is excellent with the weight distributing hitch I have. I always take it easy pulling grades and descending. I added a transmission cooler and some airbags, and it's a great rig - I never feel like it's not designed for the task. One of the reasons I'm hoping to get a 22 Cruiser is because I think it'll be well matched to my existing tow vehicle.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the vehicles I've had that I towed things with, air bags in the rear suspension helped the ride quite a bit. I would definitely have them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: