smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks journey on for the insight. I am already seeing the wisdom of your comments as I sit here in Winter Harbor checking PredictWind every couple of hours.

This marina is very rustic....not anything like some of the posh marinas on the east side (such as Blind Bay). There ain't no 70 foot Ocean Alexanders here....no ma'am. This place caters to hard core salmon fisherman and fisherwomen. No really big boats here, but those that are here are built strong and designed to handle rough seas. ABSOLUTELY nothing fancy (not to say there aren't some pricey boats with 600 HP on the back). I thought I would be bored here, waiting as I am, but far from it. I'm just hanging on the boat on the dock doing chores (laundry, email, etc), and it has been fascinating watching these guys/gals take off, come back (some with fish some without), clean fish (seagulls at the ready). There is a reality here on the west that ain't on the east.

One point....nothing wrong with trailering to explore these west side bays; BUT let me tell you, if, like me, you are doing it as a continuous boat trip, those bays are separated by headlands. Those headlands concentrate wind and waves....AND....there is absolutely no protection. For me, the bays are a given....no worries there, but where my mental energy goes is to those headlands. Tomorrow is still 25 to 35+ at Brooks Peninsula....ain't going. Looks like Wednesday is my day if I plan my departure right. Frankly, all I really care about on this style trip is getting safely around those headlands!!!

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sand, I'm caught up again. Good to see you in Winter Harbor. Take you time, and enjoy the moment.

Adventure cruising equals hours of pleasant boredom punctuated by moments to hours of "What am I doing here, and Why" running circles around in your head.

Following with interest and respect.

(Oh and you were right, it was Lagoon Cove)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Windy app it looks like your going to take a beating Wednesday, perhaps lessened by leaving very early. Thursday/Friday look better. Today/Wednday 5 foot swell on the stern with wind against.
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on HunkyDory.

I was hoping I could sneak out today, but conditions are marginal at best. So I am waiting another day (3 day wait at this point), and plan to leave Winter Harbor tomorrow (Thurs). My plan is to not only round Brooks Peninsula, but to go all the way to Walter's Cove at the northern end of Kyuquot Sound....a run of about 60 miles. Hopefully, I will be able to plane at least some of that.

After that, the crux of the trip will be behind me IMHO. Other headlands represent typically 20 to 30 mile runs rather than the 90 miles that I did to round Cape Scott, and now 60 miles for Brooks. I will have a long run to get to Victoria, but that coast is more benign and has a couple of "bail out" harbors.

Frankly, I'll be glad when tomorrow is over.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, going out Lisianski strait to the open gulf of Alaska, I’ve waited up to 2 weeks with waves alternating between 14 & 24 feet, then still jumped the gun by a day & could have paid a high price. Best to do as you are & be patient.
hardee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sandy, Patience is a virtue, and hurrying can be threatening.
A good friend of mine used to have this saying as his tag line here.

"The most dangerous thing on a Cruising boat is a schedule."

Enjoy and be safe. Thanks for the tip on the track. Works great now.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made it. I have no schedule, but I was tired of waiting. None the less, I checked conditions this morning to be sure it wasn't still nasty. The wind was essentially non existent, but the seas were confused with a long period 4' swell as a backbone. I could not plane for most of the time. I gave the Brooks a wide berth.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sandy,

Still following on Garmin Inreach and enjoying this post. Congratulations in your planning and with safe travel around Cape Scott and past Brooks Peninsula.

Curious, are No-see-ums something that you have come across on the west side of Vancouver Island? I personally detest pesky bugs and flies. Are you experiencing any of these in your travel so far. Are they a problem? Thanks. Gary

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Sandy!

I'm proud of you. Your track shows you made it down the coast to Catala Island. Good for you. I assume the rough part of the trip is nearly through. At least, you can make it through to Nootka by the back channels which, I assume will be easier. Now you can visit Zeballos or Tahsis, either one a treat.

Congratulations.

Boris
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like he dropped the hook in Queens Cove, a bit shy of the towns. There were a couple other boats in his area last night. He is using the InReach to drop the breadcrumbs.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy is now docked at Zeballos. I hope he enjoys the fish plant. That's the only business in town since the logging industry took a hit.

It'll be easy downwind from now; one trip from Nootka down to Hot Springs Cove and then it gets even easier (we hope.) Congratulations, Sandy.

Boris
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't spend long in Zabellos and now headed for Tahsis. That tracking device is a really nice feature.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have Internet....sort of...so I can respond. In fact, I think I'll do 2 replies: this one to vent a pet peeve; and then a second one to reply to your comments and to update everyone as to what's happening.

My vent....

I had no idea how poor connectivity would be on this trip....even on the east side of the island. Forget cell. Yeah, you get it occasionally, but I hardly expect it to see it ever (east side was better in this respect).. Internet is my real complaint. Many marinas advertise that they have Internet, but much of the time it's useless. The most common problem is that sure they have Internet, but you only can connect if you are at the dock near the office or where ever the router must be. Also other boat's antennas interfere; on the east side where the BIG yachts are, it's worse since those boats typically have satellite dishes of their own, or their own Starlink. All that electromagnetism buries the signal from the router. There are also incompatibilities. You see a network on your device, but because of some router misconfiguration, it rejects your connection attempt. Other situations are like a Winter Harbor where the marina just converted to Starlink (I've heard that several times on this trip), but at Winter Harbor, they must have made a deal since you have to sign up with Starlink to get the service. They charged $15/day! Outrageous (but I paid). Here I am in Tahsis where they seem to have everything. I was so happy....finally I could watch Youtube videos of parts of the network news programs I like (I'm a bit of a political junkie). And sure enough when I sat at their outdoor bar, it was great.....but at my boat NONEXISTENT.

My conclusion is don't think you're going to have Internet even when they say you will. If you really want to stay in communication this Inreach satellite system is the cat's meow. It works every where; it works all the time. You can only send text (160 characters at a time). No photos or anything like that. I have loved the Inreach I have. I "talk" everyday to the people I care about (Harvey, you know who you are Smile.
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for my "real" reply.....

Daybreak, you ask about bugs. I hate them too. But they aren't that bad. I used to be a backpacker. Bugs in the mountains are FAR worse than anything I've seen on this trip. There always a few mosquitos, especially at that magic evening time, but usually a few kills in the cabin handles the problem (altho I do tend to have a few bites around my elbows and places like that). There is one real problem....horse flies. Actually, I don't think they are actually horse flies because they are too small (maybe twice the size of a common house fly), and too easy to kill. In the mountains we called flies like these deer flies. Occasionally they can be pretty bad and they will take a chunk out of you if you are talking to someone or whatever and don't pay attention. They are not every where, and they seemed worse on the east side. If you're moving they aren't a problem.

Journey on....thanks for the encouragement. I must say I feel I've earned it. Coming down this west side ain't for the faint of heart. You have to minimize bad decisions and keep blostering your courage and commitment (especially being alone). It would be pretty easy to give up on the goal if you let yourself.

Journey on and Hardee, yep, I didn't stay at Zeballos long (less than 18 hours). I didn't like the place. It had a negative vibe for me. It's a dying place IMHO...and it feels like it. I am preferring Tahsis much more.

Yep, I do feel that I am on the downhill leg. I still have Estevan Point to do, but it's not very many miles. I think I have a wind window on Monday. So I have laundry, etc, etc to do here tomorrow (Saturday); then I will leave Sunday and stay near the my departure point. Early morning departures are mandatory (usually 6am). Looks like the wind is back starting Tuesday..... and I agree, once I'm in Tofino, I will feel I'm essentially home. If I have to stay a few days for weather, Tofino ain't a bad place to hang out. From there, if conditions are good, I might even do a 100 mile leg all the way to Victoria. From there it's duck soup....I'll be in my home turf <grin>!
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, Good to hear you are going to stick around there for Sat. I will be off line until early Sunday if then. Fluid plans. Also, look up the Port Albernie Yacht Club outpost. I believe it is on Fleming Island. I know it is close to Robbers Passage. A good place to spend some dock time, and well protected. It is across Trevor Channel from Bamfield. on the NE side of the islands there.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: