The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory 16 Angler Purchase Advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$36,000.US does sound a bit high but it does appear 'As new' and it is rigged with quality components. No bow rail? I would hope the ladder is detachable.

A brat down the road from me(Lono) paid $26,000. CAN for one 10 years ago. It was a beauty with a 50hp.

They never were cheap! Sometimes the memories are priceless. Not a lot of options when looking for this type of boat.

Regards,

Rob

zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a sunbrella full cover (made by Angola) that is over ten years old. It looks like it also re: stains, the POs didn't take good care of it, but I can't say enough about the sunbrella fabric - it still sheds water nearly perfectly. We're working on re-waterproofing it this summer, I also made a slant back cover myself with sunbrella fabric. The thing about full covers is they are very awkward to take on and off, they are so much bigger than the actual boat - we actually split ours in two and then re-attached with velcro. But in your environment, I imagine you'd probably want a full cover?
skagerrak

City/Region: WASHINGTON
State or Province: DC
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Morning Dory
Photos: Morning Dory
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, just got back from the sea trial. It looks smaller from the outside than it feels from the inside for the two of us. And performed well with the two of us plus the salesman. With how that went and with the comments from you all on the price, I think we're going to make a slightly lower offer.

Separately, sounds like a Sunbrella cover with Gortex-like threads is the best option for us. DC has pretty hot and humid summers that have me worried about mold growth. And with year-round exposure, I think the full cover is important, another benefit of a smaller boat, so it's more manageable to deal with that.

On that note, what is the deal with the Dri-Dek deck tiles that all these smaller C-Dories seem to have? Are those mostly useful for traction for people doing a lot of fishing? Are they necessary? If we put a couple of those Kingfisher chairs in the cockpit seems like it might be better to have those directly on the deck. Also, is there no concern for mold/mildew/grime to build up beneath those tiles?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dry deck tiles are a fairly soft plastic and are forgiving. The chairs will be fine on them. It keeps any water on debris off your feet. Pull the tiles every so often and use a vacuum and then a sponge to.clean the area under the tiles. There is no bilge in these boats.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
zuunami

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, sounds like you've made a decision Smile

The sunbrella is a smart choice. When we had a hard time using our sunbrella full cover (we were in an out and in and out working on our 16'), we tried using both just a tarp, then a truck full cover. Neither of those were able to breathe, and we had water dripping from the ceiling, we're quite humid here. When we changed back to the sunbrella cover all was good Smile And $900 sounds like a good deal. I know when I talked with them several months ago, a slant back cover was about $450.

We like the dri-dek because we fish, so any debris falls through to the deck, then we can just take out the dri dek and wash it down. But the MAIN reason we love it (we have dark green) is that it significantly cuts down the glare in the boat.

What, no pictures of your sea trial? Smile
skagerrak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, the listing has so many pics we were focused on how it "felt" that we didn't take a single picture! There was a lot of boat traffic, so we got some 2+ foot waves to feel how this little guy would handle and my wife was comfortable.

I'm guessing $900 doesn't include the Gortex threads. That was just for this pattern with Sunbrella fabric, we'll be going up from there.

Thanks for the points about the dri-dek, hadn't even thought about the glare effect.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skagerrak wrote:
... Separately, sounds like a Sunbrella cover with Gortex-like threads is the best option for us. DC has pretty hot and humid summers that have me worried about mold growth. And with year-round exposure, I think the full cover is important, another benefit of a smaller boat, so it's more manageable to deal with that. ...

I used to live in the greater DC area. I had a Sunbrella cover made by Angola Canvas and kept my boat outside year-round.

If it got really wet or humid, there was a little mold growth on the exterior of the boat in some areas. These seemed to be areas that stayed damp longest. The high humidity and high temps in the summer (esp. under the cover) was a good environment for mold. Where the was mold, it was little gray dots that appeared on the hull surface. Didn't really show except to just give an overall dirty look to that area of the boat. It was easy enough to wash off.

As for the Angola cover, their pattern normally only goes down to the rub rail. I had my cover extended an extra 3' on each side to reach down to the trailer fenders. The cost to extend the cover was quite reasonable.
zuunami

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gortex is much more expensive than the regular thread, by the spool, but maybe not for the whole cover. The only thing I didn't like about the cover is that the thread was white on dark green, maybe they don't do that any more.
chieftele

City/Region: Placerville
Vessel Name: Rose Bud
Photos: Rose Bud
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have our 16 Angler in a slip at a local lake for the summer. It’s been great taking evening cruises with some takeout. Cool off and wash away the stress of the day. We use the Pico chairs we learned about on this site Wink
Check out our pics
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've made a good decision, and hope they accepted your offer! FWIW, that price doesn't seem out of line to me. It's one of the last 16 Anglers ever built, and today's market has gotten a bit crazy to say the least. A buddy recently sold his 1990 16' Angler in the low/mid 20's, to a local buyer. I've also noticed other similar size/price point boats like classic Whaler Montauks selling between 20-30k these days, whereas just a couple three years ago you could buy them all day long in the mid teens in good condition.

Welcome to the C-Dory world, get ready for all the compliments, questions, and onlookers every time you take out your new 16!

Best,
Mike

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is always difficult to accurately predict just how you will use a boat. That becomes obvious when you walk the docks in a marina. Just look at how many boats aren't used at all. Probably over 50% just bought the wrong boat.

Spend plenty of time deciding on what type of cover. If a full cover for storage protection, trailering makes installing really easy. Not so easy if the boat is in a marina. If you end up with a cover that doesn't have Tenara thread, just watch it closely. My thread failed after 15 years (garaged) and I caught it in time to simply re-sew the places where the thread was failing. I didn't bother with Tenara for the re-sew. Very little sewing skill required for this. Basically, all you need is access to a sewing machine and average motor skills. Just trace over where the thread is failing.

The design of a cover (if you are looking at a bimini while underway) is important. If you are looking at an Angler, I assume fishing is a priority. Generally, cockpit covers and fishing poles don't get along. The exception is a cantilevered cockpit cover that folds forward on to the cabin top. Best is one that has standing headroom. That extra 15 square feet of standing room makes the little 16 a different boat in the rain. With a fish on, it flips forward and doesn't interfere with fishing. Most shops have a "standard" design but are capable of fabricating something that really fits your needs.

I have the option of keeping my CD 16 in a marina where I have another boat. No thanks. The 16 takes up little space at home. I can easily work on little boat projects when at home. No marina fees (or break ins). Trailering the boat to the marina takes an extra 15 minutes to launch instead of just throwing off lines, but that extra time is made up for by how easy it is to load the boat with the day's/week's provisions when at home on the trailer. Easy peasy to launch, especially if the wife is there to help backing the trailer, etc. And of course keeping it on a trailer allows me to launch in far off places. Even if that doesn't fit your present plans, the time will come when you drive by a distant boat launch and start thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kcohen4

City/Region: WILLIAMSBURG
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Annie M.
Photos: Annie M
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Another idea Reply with quote

Hi
If you haven't made a deal for the Angler I might have a more reasonable choice for you.
I am in Williamsburg with a 16 Cruiser.
if interested in talking give me a call
Cell 203 550 2239

1982 CC Landfall 38
1979 Catalina 27
skagerrak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been offline the last couple weeks negotiating and finalizing the purchase of Morning Dory and got her delivered today!

Will try and get photos on here soon. Thanks everyone for the help!
skagerrak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention--you all weren't kidding about the compliments! We got the boat in the water this morning, and already gotten at least a half dozen people stop to compliment it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: