20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed a Vesper Marine XB-8000. It is basically a "black box" (actually blue) version of the WatchMate Vision.

The Vision and XB-8000 come with WiFi Multiplexer's, which means the stream all the NMEA data to computers, smartphones, tablets etc. It's pretty slick.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and order the GX2150 from Amazon. From what I'm understanding here and reading about it, it's basically a VHF radio that also has DSC and can recieve AIS signals. It can then show those AIS positions on it's own screen, or I can connect it in with my GPSMap 541 so that it shows on my "map". Others ships/boats will not receive any kind of AIS signal from me, but in a mayday, I still have the DSC. But in a busy commercial shipping location, I should be able to "paint" all the commercial traffic. Does this about sum it up? I too prefer two VHF radios, which I now run. One of them is an older one, that I like because of it's scan set up. The other one that came with the boat, has DSC, but it's always been very confusing to use/setup, and is very likely the one I will replace. Oh yeah, also looking at getting the Standard STD-240SW PA Horn Speaker to go with the radio. Anyone know if this will be a good combination. Especially to use the Foghorn capibility of both? Colby
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a place that'll save you $17 over Amazon" the GPS Store. Both have free shipping.

Not only does that radio have AIS and GPS, but it also generated fog signals. I've needed that once or twice.

Just a suggestion. I've had good luck both places.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, you have it right. But the area of the screen on the radio is so small, that I don't consider it very useful. It is very easy to attach to the Garmin Chart plotter that you have---assuming it has the 38,400 Baud NMEA port.

The Watchmate vision does add the WiFi and a rough base map. The XB 8000 has the Wifi, and GPS about $50 to $100 less than the Watchmate 850--and you can use the screen of your tablet.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the comments. Boris I just ordered it from The GPS store. There is also a manufacturers $50 rebate, so I think the pricing on it is pretty good. Hoping that I get the latest version however and not something that has been sitting in the warehouse as one of Standard's initial builds.... Still looking at what speaker to get. I kind of like the Standard Horizon 240SW 5" x 7" 40 Watt 4 OHM Hailer Horn, from what I read. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for clarification, the Standard horizon GX 2150 does not have a built in GPS, that I know of. It does have the Fog/hailer and AIS receive and it is a nice radio.

I have been using the Standard Horizon 240SW 5" x 7" 40 Watt 4 OHM Hailer Horn, set up between two VHF's, both with the hailer/fog capability and switched to the horn. I works well, good volume and clarity.

Should you decide to add an active AIS, the 2150 can be set to ignore it;s own MMSI position, thus escaping from the "Dangerous Target" warnings.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRINGING THIS ONE BACK FOR SOME UPDATES

Recently I have been watching a YouTube series by a Merchant Marine Professional tug captain. ( TimBatSea ) He has recently decided to become a recreational mariner as well, and purchased a 40 ft sailboat. I started watching him while he was working in the Harbors of New York, and now he is working down in the Caribbean.

His most recent You Tube is talking about the limitations of radar and the advantages of AIS. Some of what he is saying does apply to us as recreational boaters where we mix with commercial traffic, and some who get farther from shore in less than flat water conditions. It is worth hearing his reasoning. Here is the link for "What You Don't Know About RADAR" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqa9gaIs8aU

One thing he does not get into is how AIS can see over islands or around bends in the river.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing he does not get into is how AIS can see over islands or around bends in the river.

But only if the other boats one has it. Still just an add on to having radar. I still see people commenting < not here< that they got radar and AIs so other boats can see them. That is not how radar works. and unless you have transmit, which most dont, thats not how AIS works either.

Had to break it to a women on the dock that no one can see your radar but her. She thought it made others see her on radar better. Lots of misconceptions out there.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The reality is that AIS is line of sight, and a limited horizon similar to what VHF radio has. (This neglects tropospheric Ducting, which is a condition where VHF, UHF and even microwave radio signals bounce in the atmosphere, and can be picked up hundreds of miles away) The signal is digital, and it can bounce off cliffs, buildings etc to some degree and be "heard" where it is not exactly line of sight. It also depends on the height of antennas. But generally the AIS signal does not violate laws of physics.
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, AIS cannot break the laws of Physics, but in reality, working around in the islands, both San Juans and the east side of Vancouver Island, I frequently can see the ferries, tugs, water taxis and large commercial ships, when they are on the other sides of islands from me. Yes, their antennas are way higher than mine, and yes they are transmitting their AIS at 5 watts, so maybe they scatter or bend a bit more than than my 2 watt.

In any crossing or low viz situation, I will contact the other vessel and confirm 2 things, #1, that they can see me, either via radar or eyeball, and #2, That they can see me on their AIS.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before buying AIS try using the " marine tracker App" on your phone while on the water. I run it all the time. It can be an hour or a second behind but its a good test bed for if you really need ais to began with, I dont but if I was going to get a new vhf for some reason I would get one with AIS . its just a little money and you cant take it with you. You can on the other hand have a Viking boat funeral and that's better.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
before buying AIS try using the " marine tracker App" on your phone while on the water. I run it all the time. It can be an hour or a second behind but its a good test bed for if you really need ais to began with, I dont but if I was going to get a new vhf for some reason I would get one with AIS . its just a little money and you cant take it with you. You can on the other hand have a Viking boat funeral and that's better.

I've seen some of those web based marine traffic sites with poor performance. Not only do you need a live internet connection for them to work, the position reports can be DAYS out of date. I was in SoFL once and was watching a ship go by while looking at marinetraffic.com. The ship in front of me was last reported on that website somewhere else and the report was 3 days old.

While interesting to look at, I certainly would not rely on any website for real-time AIS positions for collision avoidance.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the situation where you're watching the boat go by but the reporting is 3 days old is more likely due to the fact that they didn't turn it on. you have to have AIS in the boat and you have to turn it on. Like I said it was just a way to see if you like the system I've seen boats that are right in front of me and show up and I've seen boats whos signal is 2 hours old old. But it is a way to see if you like the technology or not before you slap down a lot of money. I use it to see where people have been more then where they are now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: