The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Twin Tohatsu's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
socal_2376

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Twin Tohatsu's Reply with quote

Hi,

Looking to re-power a 22 Angler. My mechanic is a long time Tohatsu Dealer and suggested Twin Tohatsu's. He mentioned that Tohatsu is now manufacturing many of their 4 strokes and will continue to phase out the Rebranded Honda Models. I was wondering if anyone has Powered the 22 Angler with twin Tohtasu's? I was interested in Twin Tohatsu 60HP's which are made by Tohatsu.

https://www.tohatsu.com/marine/na/outboards/mfs60a.html

Thank You
CPlay

City/Region: Savannah
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: CPlay
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that all new outboards are good quality. I would suggest that if this is your preferred dealer and mechanic, that is more important than engine brand. I had the previous generation Tohatsu 115s (TLDI - 2 stroke) on my Tomcat. I recently replaced with Mercury 90s. My replacement with Mercury had more to do with comparing the specs of all brands of 90HP and dealership and service availability for Mercury in this area. I notice the Tohatsu 60s are very light weight. This is a big plus, especially when looking at twins.
-Jeff-
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tohatsu 60’s are very light at 213 lbs & were my first choice, when deciding to re power from twin Honda 40’s on our CD22. Their non availability in 2019, when I re powered, made me chose the Honda 60 instead. I’m very pleased with the Hondas even though they were 26 lbs heavier each. What I still don’t know & information on non available, so far is the torque & power range between the higher cc Hondas & the like with the engine blocks just made for the 60 hp or the many others like Suzuki & Tohatsu that use the same motor block for their 40, 50 & 60 hp motors & get the increased hp through a higher rpm range. At the extreme lite weight of the Tohatsu, I was willing to chance it, as the 4 cycle motors have come along way in being able to produce high amounts of torque out of very low volume engines, but longevity is still questionable & whether the less weight Tohatsu 60 hp can = the performance of the heavier Honda 60 hp in the lower rpm range unknown at least by me.

Jay

socal_2376

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys! Still researching and trying to get info on lead time from Tohatsu. In my case my outboard mechanic deals extensively with Tohatsu so thats a big part of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: