The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

generator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Shore Power Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C Sniper

City/Region: South Padre Island
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: C Sniper
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen other pilot house boats with generators mounts on top and have read everything that comes up in search for generators. I am thinking on making a cradle to securely hold mine on top of my tomcat for use when running/trolling. Then put it back on the swim platform when things calm down. Have brand new CO detector in cabin and would get another. Any tips? Free free to chime in if you want to talk me out of it as well.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you planning on running the generator when it is on the roof or is it just for transport? I store mine in a plastic tub with a lid in the cockpit when it is not running. It is mounted on a platform on the swim step when the generator is being used, but I don't run the generator when the boat is moving.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I have used Honda generators for many years, I have never run one on top of the boat. Is this so you can use the air conditioning? If so, what air conditioning do you have. I would say absolutely not if using an RV type of roof air conditioner.

Even running our generator on the swim step (outboard bracket of the TC 255) we had 3 CO detection units. The windows are not "gas proof"--ie not fully sealed. We also did not run the generator at all when sleeping. We would cool the cabin down, and then turn it off. If we needed more ventilation later at night, we opened. up windows and hatches etc...

I do understand South Padre Island "hot".

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C Sniper

City/Region: South Padre Island
State or Province: TX
Photos: C Sniper
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a marine a/c (cruisair) installed under the rear seat of the dinette. Yes to cool the cabin when out running.
kevinnuckles@icloud.com

City/Region: Yorktown
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: SEA STAR
Photos: SEA STAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject: regarding floating ground/neutral bonding on Honda inverters Reply with quote

Read the attached solution---

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electricity-generator-neutral-bonding-basics/

I searched for days to find this----
nwboater

City/Region: PNW
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Easy Rider
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of gas powered generator, consider one of the many new portable lithium battery packs. The Yoshino B2000 is a solid state unit weighing 31 lbs. It has a built-in 2000 watt inverter with 1300 watt hours capacity. It will handle all of your AC needs and last for a good long time, depending on usage. Charges up quickly from shore power. I will be adding one to my Tomcat 255 in the spring.
Selene 47 "Kika"
Willard 40 "Northstar"
Classic Monk cruiser "Annie B"
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any concern using a NMC battery which has a cathode made of a combination of nickel, manganese, and cobalt on. your boat.? My understanding is that these have been implicated in fires and explosions, and are not as safe as the LiFePO4 battery which has become the standard LI battery now offered as a factory option for many RV, / Trolling motor or house battery for boats.

Quote:
B2000 uses a solid-state Li-NCM 16.2A

I wonder how the company can calculate that this power pack can run a microwave or coffee pot for 1.1 hours off only a 16.2 AH Battery? A number of C Dory owners are using the LiFePO4 batteries. I used two 100 amp hour batteries in parallel, with a Victron PSW 2000 Watt inverter/80 amp charger and 50 amp boost, monitored with the Victron 702. This battery pack was dedicated to the two chest freezers and refrigerators. These are 12 V DC appliances. I also ran the induction burner and 1200 Watt Microwave. The battery to battery charger off the start battery of the Honda 150 would keep the pack up to near full charge in good daily run.

What are you using for house batteries, and how are. you monitoring them?

I considered the Li battery set up as one of several power options, including carrying a Honda 2200 gasoline generator. This also gives redundancy of power sources.
-Waypoint-

City/Region: Jensen Beach, Florida
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Photos: Waypoint
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the ECOFLOW River Pro 2 for my 22. It runs my two Engels, one a fridge, and one a freezer for 18 hrs. (12v) It weighs 16lbs. charges up off my Honda 2200 in one hour (850watts)! The outboard will trickel in at 101 watts of charging while underway. Picked it up on Amazon Prime Day for $289. Very simple to use, light, and compact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Shore Power Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: