View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Best clarity VHF fixed units Reply with quote

Looking to replace a very old icom fixed vhf unit with a standard horizon, either the gx1800G with gps, or the gx2400 (that has ais receive, even tho we're not in a heavy traffic area).

But we went out yesterday in our 16', and the handheld standard horizon HX890 (3 months and 4 trips old) started to loudly chitter on a bunch of different frequencies (on 16, but not on 9), while our much cheaper cobra unit was clear as a bell on all.

I don't know what's up, but my question is - does anyone have an opinion on which fixed unit (with gps) has the best clarity, because that's most important to us on a 16' where the motor noise is right up under your chin Smile Thanks for any input!

LesR

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Intuition
Photos: Intuition
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have both SH GX1700 and GX2200 radios, so prior versions of the ones you describe. I don't notice any more clarity from the more expensive radio, but I have appreciated the AIS receive functionality. I suspect quality of your antenna (and its connections) may play as big a role in quality of reception. My older cheaper cobra was replaced by the GX1700. Until it died, I didn't have any issues with volume or clarity.

I think Harvey (Hardee) has a higher-end ICOM radio that includes a short "play-back" feature, which may be beneficial. I don't see that functionality specified in the current ICOM M510 literature.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Best clarity VHF fixed units Reply with quote

zuunami wrote:
Looking to replace a very old icom fixed vhf unit with a standard horizon, either the gx1800G with gps, or the gx2400 (that has ais receive, even tho we're not in a heavy traffic area).

But we went out yesterday in our 16', and the handheld standard horizon HX890 (3 months and 4 trips old) started to loudly chitter on a bunch of different frequencies (on 16, but not on 9), while our much cheaper cobra unit was clear as a bell on all.

I don't know what's up, but my question is - does anyone have an opinion on which fixed unit (with gps) has the best clarity, because that's most important to us on a 16' where the motor noise is right up under your chin Smile Thanks for any input!

Not sure what you mean by "chitter loudly", but of one radio is doing it and the other is not, you might want try adjusting the squelch on the "chittering" radio. It is possible that one radio has a better receiver on it than the other and is picking up more and fainter signals.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ssobol's and LesR's points are good excellent. The 870/890 do not have the best antenna. You can get a longer or better antenna as an accessory.

Here is a link to Smiley antennas, marine division. I have not tried one out--but there are some with good reviews` I would choose one of the 5/8 wave antennas.

Thru the years I have used Standard Horizon, and been impressed with
"clarity". I have owned both the 870 and 890, and had no issues. But these are 6 watt hand held radios...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
zuunami

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol, thanks, embarrassed newbie here, guess I thought once we adjusted the squelch we'd never have to do it again lol Works perfectly now.

Ordered the fixed SH gx2400 today, the price seems to be going up so ordered at $389 from the GPSStore online. Five days ago it was $360 at West Marine, yesterday it was $399, and today it's $450. Although we won't use the AIS much, and not sure our antenna will pick it up, it's a nice feature for the future. Like that fact that it's NMEA 2000 in the event we want to network anything in the future also.

Thanks again!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, YES, you will need to adjust the squelch again Shocked sometime, maybe every time out. Good point about the antenna. Make sure it is tight and corrosion free. No nicks or real sharp bends in the coax.

Yes, I do have a VHF with the last call recording. It is the ICOM M-506, and I heard they are not being made anymore. Oh Too Bad Cry That is one of the best VHFs out there for many reasons. #1, that last call recording. #2. a very simple, obvious menu operation. #3. I has excellent audio output, both volume and clarity. #4. It has all the bells and whistles you could want, but the main ones (besides what are already listed) is Auto Fog horn and hailer, and easy to use.

The Standard Horizon fixed mount VHFs have a speaker function in the mic so that you can listen to the received reply by holding the mike close to your ear and get a very clear audio.

And Yes, you will like that AIS especially when you get that signal transferred to your plotter. It is the fastest collision avoidance tool available.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I failed to mention this before, but you can get an adaptor for the antenna outlet on the hand held, to a PL259 (standard VHF antenna connector) and this have a higher antenna and better quality (Longer distance better gain and lower SWR) than the rubber duck antenna which comes with the radio.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuunami wrote:
the price seems to be going up so ordered at $389 from the GPSStore online. Five days ago it was $360 at West Marine, yesterday it was $399, and today it's $450.

Welcome to internet sucker pricing. Almost as likely the prices will go back down. It seems like what you shop for is tracked, but not what you have purchased or what price you have been quoted. I often go back to the same item on the internet and have a different price quoted (higher or lower) within the span of an hour. I also get spam several days/weeks later with different prices, sometimes more, sometimes less. A $450 induction stovetop that I looked at showed up in a spam advertisement a month later for $125. I immediately bought it, but when I looked the next day the price quoted was over $300. Crazy. Up over $550 at the moment. Because I just went to the website, I may get a reduced price offer in a month.

https://furrion.com/products/dual-burner-induction-cooktop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zuunami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! For some reason I'm not getting updates when there's a reply to one of my posts, it works for the first few days, then stops. Marco Flamingo, I hear you! lol

Well, we got the SH GX4200, and have in installed - it's a big unit for our little 16', barely fits under the dash Smile But we managed, and love the big screen for sure. The clarity is great with the existing antenna, I think the old Icom just was worn out Smile

Haven't hooked up the chartplotter yet - once we do, we're going to do a NMEA connection.

The one thing I don't understand is that no matter what I do, the screen image has north at the top, instead of orienting according to the boat. (The compass is set for "course up), but the little icon at the bottom of the screen alternates on its own between "N-up" and C-Up", and C-Up doesn't last long enough to figure out the changes). This image is from sitting in the driveway, pointing nearly due south, with the ocean about a half mile to the west with a relative N-S coastline. I watched several boats for a while, and they appeared to the left of me on the screen (which is where they would be if I was pointing north), and sometimes at the top of the screen (on land) Smile Maybe this will change once it's hooked to a chartplotter Smile Or maybe I just had higher expectations ...

Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a Poly-Planar MB41 external speaker to my VHF, and the difference is night and day. I can now actually make out what boaters are saying. It took me decades to get around to adding an external speaker, and about five minutes to install it.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
zuunami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That speaker gets pretty rave reviews on Amazon. Not sure we need it yet, and we have limited mounting space - but I was thinking, why couldn't we use a splitter or something to hook the radio up to the existing dual Fusion stereo speakers...
zuunami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't figured out why the AIS screen is always pointed north, no matter the direction the boat is pointed. However, some of the sporadic activity, i.e., the fact that our boat is not always indicated with the proper black icon as in the photo above, maybe related to the antenna? That's the only thing I can think of Smile
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, if the boat is not moving then the GPS system in the radio has no idea as to what direction the boat is (not) travelling (pointing).

GPS direction is dependent on obtaining a position, temporarily storing that position, getting a second position and comparing the new position to the old in order to get a direction of travel. It's likely much more complicated than this simplistic explanation, but suffice it to say that if you are not moving, it has a difficult time computing direction. (It's not really a compass at all).

This may be the problem you are experiencing with the boat at rest?

zuunami

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC Rider, geez, thank you Smile makes perfect sense
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC Rider wrote:
FYI, if the boat is not moving then the GPS system in the radio has no idea as to what direction the boat is (not) travelling (pointing).

GPS direction is dependent on obtaining a position, temporarily storing that position, getting a second position and comparing the new position to the old in order to get a direction of travel. It's likely much more complicated than this simplistic explanation, but suffice it to say that if you are not moving, it has a difficult time computing direction. (It's not really a compass at all).

This may be the problem you are experiencing with the boat at rest?

I agree with Chris, I think he is onto something and you (the boat) need to be moving for the GPS and AIS to do their computing and locating.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: