The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

King Plastic Starboard Color

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vivire

City/Region: Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 29 Venture
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: King Plastic Starboard Color Reply with quote

Our C-Dory has many plastic parts both inside and out. Can anyone confirm the material is King Plastic Starboard? If Starboard, is the color Seafoam? Want to make sure were buying the right stuff for our projects!

Thank You.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time I also owned a 1993 C Dory 22. I don't remember any high density polyethylene board in either the interior or exterior of the boat. King Starboard is trade name/brand name. There are cheaper versions of HDPE. HDPE is a good material for cutting boards, and some surfaces. However it is not a particularly good material to use for construction. Gluing is difficult. Assembly is with screws. Paint and other coatings do not adhere to it.

"Derarguard" or Deccraguard or Decraboard (?) is a marine plywood, with an overlay of melamine or formica type of overlay which was used extensively in the building of the boats for many years. "Antique White" (#932) Formica seems to be a very close match. "Hatteras white" is close in the paint line.

Nevamar "Golden Ash #8110" has made a formica type of laminate which is a close match for the "wood grain faux teak" material in the early boats.

What is your project? What material are you trying to replace? I cannot answer your question about the "SeaFoam" color. Some places show it as an off white, others as SeaFoam green. I keep some HDPE board (Starboard) in both black and white for projects--such as an attachment for transducers for Depth finders.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: King Plastic Starboard Color Reply with quote

Vivire wrote:
Our C-Dory has many plastic parts both inside and out. Can anyone confirm the material is King Plastic Starboard? If Starboard, is the color Seafoam? Want to make sure were buying the right stuff for our projects!

Thank You.

My boat has a couple of starboard like parts on it. They are associated with the sliding reversible seat on the port side of the cabin. Only other starboard parts on my boat were after-market additions by the PO.
Vivire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thank you for the replies. We passed along the '93 '22 to another member last year, but forgot to update the profile to reflect our '08 Venture '29 (Penguin).

The Venture '29 uses plastic with a fairly good color match to the off-white hull color. The material is used in a lid on the cockpit bench seat, the interior access cover to the bilge, and in the head cabinet.

Our boat has side air intake vents with a fiberglass insert. One piece of the insert was lost while under way. I think the best way to replace the missing piece is to make new inserts of plastic.

I have compared Seafoam Starboard to the original vent and it is a reasonable match, but not as close as the original material on the boat. I guess I'll proceed with Seafoam Star Board and see how it turns out.

Again, thanks for your comments,
Wayne
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the "Sea Foam" would be the best bet. There are cheaper versions of the HDPE--see if they will match. You will probably want a sheet--I usually keep 1/2" and 3/4" thick for projects. If they are flat places then no worry about glue. The Cyanoacrylate adhesives can be used along with primer Permabond POP for Starboard, but I would back the joint with screws.d

We would love to see pictures of the projects as they move forward.
Vivire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered King Plastic Seafoam Starboard and it is a very good match to my 2008 C-Dory's gel coat.

I won't be surprised if there are lower priced alternatives. But, Starboard matches well and now I can move along with my projects.
Vivire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered King Plastic Seafoam Starboard and it is a very good match to my 2008 C-Dory's gel coat.

I won't be surprised if there are lower priced alternatives. But, Starboard matches well and now I can move along with my projects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: