dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once, going through the Hiram Chittenden locks we tied up to a Corps of Engineers boat whose job was to pick up flotsam. It was equipped with a crane for the big stuff. I wonder how you can contact them if you come across a log.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
krc

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: krc
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Also.. Reply with quote

I notice if you find one log in the water you will often find others nearby. Seem to collect in certain places in the southern Gulf islands as an example. This year has been particularly bad. Lot's of debris just outside and north of Montague on the west side of southern Galiano for example...

Recent King tides and storm surges as likely the culprit. Then again, every year there is a risk of hitting a log - just seems like I have had to take a bit more care this year when boating...
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At China Creek on the Alberni Inlet they used to give you red 2x2s with a sharpened nail protruding to jab in the end of the deadhead. There were quite a few deadheads due to the many log rafts waiting to be processed in the local mill.
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forrest wrote:
At China Creek on the Alberni Inlet they used to give you red 2x2s with a sharpened nail protruding to jab in the end of the deadhead. There were quite a few deadheads due to the many log rafts waiting to be processed in the local mill.

Interesting. I would have been surprised if the idea hadn't already been out there...

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:43 pm    Post subject: Motor Tilt Reply with quote

Does anyone the details around what a hydraulic tilt motor will do if it hits something large? Is thee some kind of pressure relief valve that allows it to tilt out of the way and not rip your transom off?
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Interesting. I would have been surprised if the idea hadn't already been out there...

The idea was there from the early nineties because that was the last time I fished there.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor Tilt Reply with quote

Wood Zeppelin wrote:
Does anyone the details around what a hydraulic tilt motor will do if it hits something large? Is thee some kind of pressure relief valve that allows it to tilt out of the way and not rip your transom off?

AFAIK, in my Honda tilt system, there is no relief that lets the tilt move the lower unit if it hits something. There is a manual valve that can be opened to release the hydraulic tilt system so the engine can be tilted manually, but this is normally closed. The tilt system needs to be holding with the engine in the down position so that the engine does not lift up when the motor is in reverse gear. You could have a locking valve in the system that locks the tilt when the engine is in reverse and is open when the engine is in forward gear (to allow tilting if it hits something), but there is no mention of such a valve in the Honda manuals I have. Alternatively, there could be a mechanical latch that engages in the tilt mechanism to lock the tilt with the motor is in reverse. Don't see that either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: