View previous topic :: View next topic  
easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: What’s it like on lake powell lately? Reply with quote

Looked for pura vida for 5 years and then moved to St George to be a lake powell junkie, 2 short trips summer of 2020 and then a quad bypass. Moved to Oregon and Hawaii but still still need another fix. It seems to me there may be a huge upside here in terms of what we could see? Of course the facilities would be a big hassle and require major planning something I am not to good at but still I can’t seem to resist these voices in my head calling me back. Is October to late?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point no launch ramp is open. Dangling rope has not been open this year for fuel. Any launch/ retrieval is for houseboats or other vessels for repairs and by tractor/tractors.

The water level is at least 15 feet below the end of the lowest level useful ramp. Powell is being maintained slightly higher than Meadl because of needs for power generation.

The up stream lakes and resistors are at about 66%, but inflow to them is limited. They are being maintained to allow constant flow to Powell (which has risen some from its low, to facilitate power generation.

So forget launching currently at Powell. By Oct, that 15 feet may be available and launching available. The weather is beginning to cool off. There are often thunderstorms but we have enjoyed Powell in Oct. in the past. With the limited facilities--you probably would be limited to range because of fuel and water. Even if you were to carry extra fuel, and conserve water there will be some limitations. I suppose one could boil or use filters to allow the lake water to be potable. We have always used lake water for bathing, doing dishes, and cooking if boiling the food. That leaves only drinking and some re-constitutional use of water for dehydrated food. If. you are careful the 20 to 30 gallons could last a moth of 2 people.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water level is at 3536. Bullfrogs Executive ramp is open and good to 3525. Stateline auxiliary ramp on the south end is also open to 3525. As for Dangling Rope the facility’s have been takin to Bullfrog for dismantling current water level doesn’t work for a marina in that spot. Take extra fuel with you. Can’t tell you how fast they’ll drain off 10’ of water. Just have to watch the water data base.

http://lakepowell.water-data.com/

easy does it

City/Region: Redmond
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Photos: Easy Does It
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Post subject Reply with quote

Thank you and I’m sure with the CD22 there are many other places but for us the Lake Powell experience was like nothing we had even ever dreamed of and it is hard to give it up. I wonder for those who have been around for a while, will it come back or is it gone? I am starting to wish I had voted for Al Gore. Ha
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The predictions I have read say Powell is a goner. The dam was built by during an era of dam-building frenzy, based on a very short window of rainfall data, and even that was a questionable analysis.

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am glad that I had the opportunity boat on Lake Powell in my C-Dory in 2018 for two weeks and 10 days by canoe in 2007. I think it is likely that Lake Powell is effectively gone forever. There might be a year or two here now and then, but with long term effects of climate change beginning to hit home and even greater demand on the water in the SW, I think it's long term future is bleak.

I too wish you had voted for Al Gore.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read on the Facebook group, it sounds like if you can get launched, there is still plenty of water to enjoy. But the only fuel facilities are going to be at the Page, Az end, and perhaps Bullfrog. No more Dangling Rope or anything in between. Another good place to follow is www.wayneswords.net. I haven't checked in there in a few weeks, but I'm sure there is conversation there about water levels. Colby
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lake is still 130 Miles long and 400 feet deep at the dam. It has gone up the last two days. With all the problems that the drought has caused it has always delivered the lower states water shares. So it is doing exactly what it was supposed to do. If they would force the lower states to take a reduction it would recover. The only reason it is still working is because the upper states don't use all of there shares. Personally I would like to see Lake Mead and Powell go low enough that they can't generate any electricity. It would be a fun experiment to watch how they deal with the rolling blackouts.
flrockytop

Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder about what they are going to do about charging all those electric cars? Will it be like a lotto or do you get one charge a month.
Roger Rockwell
Pensacola, Fl
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flrockytop wrote:
Wonder about what they are going to do about charging all those electric cars? Will it be like a lotto or do you get one charge a month.

Since they need to supply the houses and other buildings in the region with power for AC most of the year, I'm guessing that the load from charging the relatively small number of electric vehicles doesn't really register. If most of the cars in the region were electric, it might make a difference.
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is there a lesson to be learned here? Man plans…God laughs, maybe? Every present has a price? Everyone Complains about the weather but shouldn’t do anything about it?

It's something in the water!
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairbro wrote:
So, is there a lesson to be learned here? Man plans…God laughs, maybe? Every present has a price? Everyone Complains about the weather but shouldn’t do anything about it?

In this case I think there is a lesson. The mentality at the time of the dam building craze was.. well.. a "craze". I think greed and gang mentality were at play. There were two major mistakes: (a) They overlooked the need for good data and analysis - they only used rainfall data going back a short time and overlooked larger trends. And (b) even the analysis they did on the rainfall data they had was wrong. It has since been reviewed and found to have significant errors.

Probably because people in charge were fixated on profit, eager to "just build" without careful planning, and short-sighted.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I opine:

Quote:
Man is the most insane species.
He worships an invisible God
and slaughters a visible Nature…
without realizing that this Nature
he slaughters is the invisible God
he worships.
—Hubert Reeves, 1932 - , Fr Canadian Astrophysicist

Aye

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairbro wrote:

"Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.”
Will Durant

thataway

Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In this case I think there is a lesson. The mentality at the time of the dam building craze was.. well.. a "craze". I think greed and gang mentality were at play. There were two major mistakes: (a) They overlooked the need for good data and analysis - they only used rainfall data going back a short time and overlooked larger trends. And (b) even the analysis they did on the rainfall data they had was wrong. It has since been reviewed and found to have significant errors.

Probably because people in charge were fixated on profit, eager to "just build" without careful planning, and short-sighted.

Wood Zeppelin, could you please elaborate on your statement? When was this "craze"? Who was behind the "Craze"? Who were "People in charge fixated on profit, just build, and short sighted."

How long a time was the "Rainfall data"? Only rainfall data? Why was the analysis wrong? Is that true today with the Gross Dam now under construction and others planned?

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: