View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesR

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Intuition
Photos: Intuition
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: AIS Transceivers Reply with quote

I'm planning to add an AIS transceiver this year and wondering if anyone has specific recommendations for brand and/or functionality.

If I were equipping a boat from scratch, the Vesper Cortex would be very tempting, though it's a bit spendy. Since I already have two fixed and two portable VHF radios, I wouldn't plan to buy the Cortex handsets. I can get another 5W SOTDMA model (e.g. Si-Tex MDA-5) that has Wifi and USB access, along with an integrated splitter, for at least $400.00 less.

I'm also planning to install an NMEA 2000 network at the same time to allow output to either of my chartplotters. I've had AIS receive for several years via one of the VHFs, but always used the radio's display rather than fiddling with an NMEA-0183 connection.

I'd appreciate any input based on your experience.

kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have ais receive from our standard horizon and connected to our Lowrance network, the online instructions for getting it working were a little outdated so had to find a solution in a forum. It was our Lowrance network. I can send you the wire combo if you decide to stay with receive. No experience with send! Good luck
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to consider is that there are two types of class "B" AIS. We typically think of the Class B CSTDMA 2-watt: These transponders are the traditional Class B units, have a transmit range of 5-7 miles and use the carrier sense system for getting a transmission slot.

There is the far better Class B+ SOTDMA 5-watt: which is a hybrid and has more frequent updates and increased power.. Although this is an old article, it shows the differentiation well. The transceivers are now common and would be my choice, because of the guaranteed time slot, and higher power.

The Cortex is a good unit, but there are cheaper class B+ units such as through Miltech. These include Sitex, and the AMEC 8600 which also does wireless to an I pad. Many of these are not available currently. They had the Furuno was on sale, but not available....go figure.

I have tied my AIS receivers to a separate MFD display. I don't want it on my primary navigation display. Example is we had over 25 targets in San Francisco Bay where St. Francis YC equipped their committee boats with AIS B, plus the usual traffic during a sailboat race.

Using an I pad or other tablet with chart overlay would be ideal. Lacking that my other alternative would be a AIS transceiver with a dedicated display.

I also would prefer a separate antenna--such as the Morad specific AIS antenna. Most antenna manufactures carry an AIS specific antenna. The Morad uses a mini UHF connector which adapts to the PL 259 fitting to the transceiver, and avoids soldering or the less desirable "crimp" PL 259 fitting.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Vesper Cortex and am not that happy with it. I find it cumbersome to use especially in rough seas. If I had it to do all over I would go with a Simrad AIS transceiver/VHF that interfaces with the NMEA2000 network. This way I could initiate DSC calls right from the chartplotter.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Class B Sitex and am quite happy with it. It's networked with my GPSMAP 840 and 541. Colby
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesR,
The tech’s at Milltech were excellent in steering me to an AIS. I installed an ET-430-0013 em-trak B953 Class B SOTDMA AIS transponder with integrated splitter..
It is easy to use and I have several hundred hours of actual operating time on it. I live in an area with lots of shipping traffic, so it has helped me very much. I now consider it part of my must have nav gear and I’m pleased that I purchased this specific unit.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
croakz

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Blue
Photos: Jolly Blue
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put in a Vesper Marine XB-8000, I'm pretty happy with it in that it works and I haven't had any issues with it. I bought it used and it cost $50 to reprogram the MMSI.
Marco Flamingo

C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vesper 6000. I looked at everything and made a giant complex cheat sheet to try to keep things straight in my head as to which unit offered what I wanted/needed. I then learned that my first choice was out of stock everywhere. So much for time consuming research.

I went with a stand alone AIS antenna. It seemed to me that if I was going to send out a signal I might as well yell. I've been very happy with the Vesper except for one quirk (not Vesper's fault). As originally programmed by the seller, it would pick up my own transmission as a target. That meant that every 30 seconds I would get an AIS message that I was going to collide with a vessel that, oddly enough, had my same boat name and MMSI number. That has now been corrected.

I found out that I am the only MMSI vessel in the world with my boat name. Beth (and the rest of the world) can quickly locate me on Vessel Finder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
croakz

C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Blue
Photos: Jolly Blue
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Marco Flamingo

That's awesome you have an AIS transponder on a 16fter. When I had mine reprogrammed at Fisheries Supply in Seattle, the dude was all "You got a 22ft? This is about the smallest boat we've had an AIS put on". My thought is I want people to see me in as many ways as possible.

- tom
LesR

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
Vessel Name: Intuition
Photos: Intuition
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your input and experience related to AIS install and use. Here’s where I’ve landed based on your suggestions and research of currently available options...

I’ve changed my approach from an all-in-one solution (e.g. Vesper Cortex) to individual specialized components. I can see advantages/disadvantages to each, but generally prefer a scenario where failure of one component has less likelihood of affecting another.

I’m going with an AMEC B600, a 5W SOTDMA Class B unit. I would have preferred the B600W with WIFI, but it’s out of stock. My first step will be connecting to an N2K network so I can display the info on one of my two MFDs. If this presentation is too busy and annoying, I’ll look at either a small MFD to dedicate to AIS or add a N2K WIFI gateway to display info on a wifi tablet. If I understand correctly, this approach will make available all N2K data over wifi, rather than just AIS.

I’m also installing a dedicated Morad antenna. They offer models tuned for VHF radio (156 MHz), AIS (162 MHz) and in-between (159 MHZ). Milltech recommends the 159 MHz model for use with a splitter or for AIS units that have “Message 27” turned on. The B600 has this functionality, so I ordered the 159 MHz model; this would also make it a candidate for backup radio antenna in an emergency.

As an aside, Milltech Marine is an excellent source for information as I’ve narrowed my requirements. I’ll report back with practical updates once everything’s installed.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choices.

Message 27 is for long range reception such as the AIS satellite reception--good especially for ocean crossing or even offshore where cell phones/ais monitoring stations for the marina traffic type of sites, do not receive.

The use of Wi Fi if it does not work out would be fine. I used a 5" older monitor with some basic charts for the AIS only screen and it worked well.

Love the Morad antennas.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your choice of the AMEC B600, 5W SOTDMA Class B, is a good choice. The split of the class B AIS was a smart move. Your unit will be faster at transmitting and more powerful that the old single class B's.

I have had AIS transponder on board for 6 years now and I love it. As has been said above, it is one of my high priority safety devices. I have the Watchmate Vision, which has it's own 7" screen, that is the control head and input signal monitor. It has a land contour map on the screen that helps with the relative position finding of the targets instead of just a circle and cross hair target screen. I also have the AIS fed to my Axium mfd, and there I can chose which carts I want the AIS overlay on, so there are some with and some without the AIS targets. Even with the Doppler radar, I like having the AIS targets on the radar screen. Whether the AIS is on your screen or not depends on the mfd, and what capability it has. The range you choose should depend on the marine traffic. IN my area, (Juan de Fuca Strait) the big commercial traffic travels at between 15 and 35 knots, so when crossing there, I am out 12 miles or 18 miles, depending on what the VTS report is. Up in the San Juan's, generally 6 miles is adequate even though the Washington state ferries are running 15-20.

I am having the issue now with the new Raymarine Axium, that is mentioned. I see my self, following me, and every 30-ish seconds it catches up. (So I know I am transmitting AIS)

My AIS transmit is via a marine back VFH Shakespeare antenna, shared with one of my VHFs via a Vesper powered splitter. There has never been an issue with use of either.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

WatchMate Vision Screen, upper left screen.

Marco Flamingo

C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I see my self, following me, and every 30-ish seconds it catches up. (So I know I am transmitting AIS)

I had the same issue and was intending to take a copy of the AIS software, a Windows laptop, and a USB cord on the boat. I assumed that the AIS software would have a place to enter my MMSI so that the receiver ignored that number. Before I got a chance to do that, my unit stopped seeing me constantly catching up with myself. No idea what made the change or whether it is permanent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: