The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Smallest kicker possible (practically speaking) for 22'?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keweenaw2018

City/Region: Upper Peninsula
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Norppa
Photos: Keweenaw2018
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Smallest kicker possible (practically speaking) for 22'? Reply with quote

We have a 22' w/ a brand new (2020) Honda 100 and it works just dandy. However, we may have a new addition to the family soon and the wife would like a kicker just to be safe.

If we're going to buy a kicker, I figure it might as well pull double duty and power a dingy (not yet purchased) so I've been eyeing the Honda 2.3 because it would be so light and easy to switch over to a dinghy when needed. Of course, I have my doubts as to whether the 2.3 can even push the 22' in any real-world scenario.

What do you think, c-brats, is the Honda 2.3 woefully underpowered? What do you use for double duty on your cruisers and your dingies? Recommendations please!

-Hunter
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if that one would do much on a 22, and they are air cooled and VERY noisy. I would be tempted to go up a notch and look at a 3.3 Merc or equivalent, but again, it might work in calm water, but not if you have much current or tides to deal with it would be minimal on a 22.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd go for a 5-6 hp, the lightest you can find.

I'd stay away from the Honda 2.3. It's air cooled, has no manual clutch and has to be swiveled to back up. Those who are happy with their 2.3 can now chime in.

Tohatsu makes a good 6 hp @ 57 lbs. Suzuki is 55 lbs .Mercury is Tohatsu. .Yahmahs are ~$300 more @ 59 lbs. Hondas are well built but heavy.

Boris
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Those who are happy with their 2.3 can now chime in.
Boris

Interestingly, I also have a brand new (2021) Honda 100, which I am very pleased with. It replaced my Honda 90 with >2500 hrs, which worked all this time, but I am very glad I repowered. Mileage and max speed are increased. I hoped noise would be (quieter), but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

I have a Honda 2.3. It isn’t enough power, is extremely noisy at WOT, and will not keep steerage in some of the tides and winds we have here. It will push a little over 2 mph under ideal conditions. I didn’t buy it as a CD22 kicker, but since I had it already, I tested it. You’ll need a bracket. It doesn’t fit the transom directly. Yes, it is light, and that is great, but it doesn’t seem to have enough thrust to be a viable CD22 kicker, since CDories need more speed than most boats for steerage. That changes when I drop my bow-mounted 80 lb Minnkota. It adds some speed and keep the boat pointed under some serious conditions of wind and tide.
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, congratulation on the new addition to the family.

I had similar consideration as you do when I was looking at a kicker, wanted to be useful for a dinghy so had to be light enough so I could lift it from boat to raft and back reasonably. to fit that bill, the lighter the better. Also wanted to have reasonable chance to move the boat in most condition to get at the very least out of trouble. to fit that bill, the bigger the better. I settle on a 6HP, the biggest single cylinder outboard. I do have it on an adjustable bracket that does 3 thing for me, keep it out of the water completely when not in use and been able to lower it for either using to push the boat or put at same level as dinghy transom so the transfer is not to hard to do, and it works quite well.
I have used it several time to go several miles when not in a hurry to get somewhere and I am very pleased with it. I fiddle with it until I go in a straight line then lock it in place and use the helm with the main engines almost out of the water but still low enough to give me steerage way. Can easily do 5mph, on calmish water, my fastest was 6.5 but I think the tide was helping for about 1MPH. I tested it going against wind and wave and was going slower but still moving forward and keeping course, I have since replace the prop so expecting it will be a bit better now.
Hope this help

sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there are only a couple light weight outboards which also make dinghy motors. I agree with the comments about the Honda 2.3. I owned one, and never again.

I currently have a Suzuki 4 stroke 2.5--it has more blade area and a lower pitch than the Honda--it will push the 25 (and. I have used another one in the past, as well as currently on the Caracal 18' cat.). It will get the boat moving at about 3 mph, and not at full throttle. I have also used the Toqueedo electric outboard on both dinghy and larger boats--problem is that the range will be limited.

The 2.5 will not push against some of the currents in passes,. I look upon the kicker motor to get one to a safe place--not necessarily together "home".

Another is a 3.5 Merc 2 stroke.. I sold it with the 25 as it's kicker. Also 30# and easy too handle---but a prop more like the Honda 2.3.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 hp

I have a 4hp, 6 hp, and an 8hp high thrust

Both the 4 and 6 will “ move “ the boat, but as has been said it’s all about current and wind. I usually leave the 8 on the boat as it’s too heavy for my dinghy.
Obviously it will take me home in any condition. I use it because I already have it.

The 6 is the crossover motor and the best compromise.

Thx

David and Val

1988 22' Angler
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say they like the Honda 2.3 and I love Honda stuff. A family member has one on his CD 22 and he says it's useless as a kicker, but I think it's pretty good on his dinghy. I personally wouldn't use anything less than 8 hp on a CD 22 for peace of mind auxiliary power. However, I do have a Tohatsu 3.5 that would get your 22 somewhere (moves my 22 at 4-5 mph at full throttle) and works very well on the back of the dinghy.
ChrisMcBride

City/Region: Shoreline
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: Lil Teal
Photos: Lil Teal
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6hp Suzuki on my 22', and it works well as a kicker. I've used it as a dinghy motor as well, but felt it was too big for that purpose (and it was a huge pain to transfer between the bracket and dingy). With a larger dingy, I'm sure the size wouldn't have been an issue.

I keep thinking about moving up to a 9.9 (with power trim and tilt) for the extra margin of safety it would give me in poor weather, strong current, etc. Modern outboards are very reliable, but loosing propulsion is always a concern of mine and I'm of the mind that having a well running, right sized kicker is a necessity.

I'm excited to hear what you end up doing. The various trade-offs in the options make it hard to know what to do.
PNW_Wesley

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Zenith
Photos: Zenith
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Suzuki 2.5 on my 19.

My primary cruising water is the Columbia, from Bonneville Dam to Astoria.

Ships in the navigation channel have the right of way, and the channel is often narrow and winding.

If my main engine were to fail while I'm in the channel, I can use the kicker to push the boat out of the channel to a safer location.

With the kicker azimuth locked straight, the boat steers fine using the 90 as a rudder.

Here is a video showing how well the 2.5 works on my boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2syhFgw6B5s

Prior water toys:
15' Smoker Craft
14' SOAR Inflatable Kayak
18' Sea Ray
28' Bayliner
19' Smoker Craft
16' Duracraft
14' Starcraft
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comparison might be helpful.

https://www.mby.com/video/best-2-3hp-outboard-motors-electric-petrol-group-test-117786

Though the test is on tenders, the Suzuki 2.5 is clearly superior to the Honda 2.3, much more than the 0.2 hp difference would imply. Also, note that the Torqeedo, which says it is a 3 hp equivalent, isn’t even up to the Honda 2.3 in performance, at least in this test.

I suppose the performance will depend on the specific load, etc., including how the motor is placed on the transom. Performance for my Torqeedo 1103, which can be be placed directly on the stern, increased a little after I got a bracket that I needed for the Honda 2.3. That moved the Torqeedo back from the transom, and allowed a deeper placement, which reduced ventilation (cavitation). The Honda wasn’t wide enough to clamp directly on the stern. Light vs. heavy load in the CD22 makes quite a difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: