View previous topic :: View next topic  
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:28 am    Post subject: Sandys counterclockwise circumnavigation Vancouver Island Reply with quote

I hinted in a previous post about an upcoming long trip. Well, I left Guemes Island (just north of Anacortes, WA) at 10am on July 6th. For safety and exploring, I wanted a slow trip....and I'm taking 10 weeks (be back mid September). I am doing the trip solo, so decision making is simple.

I've had a few minor "early trip" breakdowns including a windlass failure that took me backwards to Sucia Island in order to have secure flat water on which to do repairs. Having time is a luxury worth having. I can wait on weather too. At the moment, I'm sitting in Nanaimo....my first marina. I'm carrying a lot of food, gear, and tools (lots of DVDs too). I plan to be on anchor most of the time....my new ARB freezer helps with that. You should see the water line of the boat. I replaced the v-berth cushions with rubber matting, and am storing 100s of pounds up there in 7 large containers (yes, the boat "tips" forward....I look like a whale about to dive).

Anyway, if you'd like to see where I am at the moment, and to see the track I took to get there, go to this link which is the result of my Garmin Inreach:

https://share.garmin.com/SandyVITrip

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know Sandy. Will be following. Be safe. Gary
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandys counterclockwise circumnavigation Vancouver Islan Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
the boat "tips" forward....I look like a whale about to dive.

That never bothered me too much. In fact, I think it might help when travelling at hull speed. With a heavy bow, my 16 doesn't squat until 4.5 knots. Woohoo, another .2 knots on hull speed!

One problem with a heavy bow is bow steer when on plane. If I'm fully loaded and slap something (like a wake at 45 degrees), the bow gets punched to the side more violently than with a light bow. The other problem is heading into steep seas (of which you will likely see plenty). Goletas Channel might be your first test. Disconcerting when the bow doesn't pop back up per usual. Same with following seas, but you're unlikely to see any. Have a safe trip.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco,

My experience is about the same as you describe. I haven't hit steep seas yet, but the bow steer is sure there. Also, as you say it's not all bad. The boat is far more loaded than usual, and it seems to have changed from a VW to a Cadillac Wink. At first I was dismayed, but now I'm getting used to it, and I rather like the "solid" feel. OTOH, if the boat starts doing something "off", it is way more sluggish when I attempt to correct it.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Sandy, PM sent.
Watch for a blue strip 22 with a camperback, Osprey, with Andy on board. Should be in the neighborhood.

What is your boat name, and color, Pix in album show a different name. I thought I knew it but . . . Rolling Eyes

Have a safe trip.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is your boat name, and color, Pix in album show a different name.

Yeah, I never thought of that. The boat was named Anna Leigh when I bought her from C-Brat David McKibben in 2014. I renamed her to a better known passionate woman (if you know your opera Wink). She is still white with burgundy trim.
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T SEE THE WHOLE TRACK??

I've been asked about this. You have to click on the "View All Tracks" button near the upper right corner to see the whole track (otherwise you only see today's track).

P.S. My guess is this is required because I turn the Inreach off at night thus creating what Garmin thinks is a new track.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those inReach devices are wonderful. I have another boat I'm tracking now, Andy on Osprey, and it is great to be able to see where he is in relation to questions about where he is headed.

And for single handing, next to the MOB+ device, it is probably one of the higher priority safety devices on the boat, especially when out of cell service areas, which is much of where your intended trip is going to range.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Randy's parking lot
Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sandy, I’m in the process of attempting the same trip. I may be a few days ahead of you. I’m at Telegraph Cove tonight; then back out into the Broughtons for a couple more days of kayaking with a friend. Picking up supplies in Port McNeill, dropping off my friend, and doing some maintenance, July 13-15, then will try to round Cape Scott, solo, to Winter Harbour. My inReach track is here:

https://osprey-alaska.org/home/track-us/

It would be fun if we could connect. Just sent you an inReach message. (Thanks Harvey Hochstetter for letting me know about Sandy’s trip!)

Bon voyage!

Andy Ryan

smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy and I did connect via some Inreach messages (which is really nice way to touch base since you don't need cell or other signals; Inreach works every where, all the time). Unfortunately, we did not connect in person. Andy was way ahead of me and moving faster. Eventually he had to abort his VI westside return given the weather and his limit time schedule.
smckean (Tosca)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally hit Desolation Sound....the "real" start of the trip. It took me nearly 2 weeks to get here, but that's right on time since I have 10 weeks to do this trip.

I did have some boat issues that slowed me down. I had problems with cockpit canvas and the windlass, but I repaired those. It also became clear that I needed to replace my 5 year old batteries....which I did in Powell River while at the dock.

I spend a couple of spectacular days at Chatterbox Falls in Princess Louisa Inlet. That "cost" a few days, but it sure was worth it. PLI is the most beautiful place I've ever been to by boat (didn't hurt to have had perfect weather/conditions....felt like an LA beach!). Also my first rapids of the trip -- Malibu Rapids (never did one before other than Deception Pass).

Just hanging out today in a very small cove just inside the Malaspina Inlet north of Lund. Need a day to relax; organize things; refill my 1 pound propane bottles from the 20 pound propane tank I strapped to the roof; and to make some bread (without an oven Wink ). Very quiet here....not another boat in sight.

P.S. In these first 2 weeks I've only eaten out once (Trollers in Nanaimo for fish & chips....both Harvey and I fully agree that this is a must); so my heavy provisioning is working out...especially now that I moved the weight around for far superior boat trim. (Yes, moving things made a big difference in boat handling).
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow and easy is the right way to do it. I agree that PLI is one of those very special places. But you are just coming to some of the best on the East side of Vancouver Island. Then after Desolation there are the Broughton's. There used to be some very good eating spreads by the day of the week at different camps.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ChrisMcBride

City/Region: Shoreline
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: Lil Teal
Photos: Lil Teal
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, thank you for sharing your trip. Your trip is one I'd love to do in the future and I look forward to hearing all about your experience.

I agree with everyone who's mentioned the utility of the inreach devices. Having a means of communication can be extremely valuable when out of cell and VHF range. The realtime route tracking is a really nice bonus as well.
Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
... Andy was way ahead of me and moving faster. Eventually he had to abort his VI westside return given the weather and his limit time schedule.

Yup, I took too long admiring the Broughtons and ran out of time. Actually this week's snotty weather alone would have kept me pinned down at Bull Harbour for at least several days. I pulled the plug Saturday morning; it's still blowing gale force on the west side tonight; expected to continue at least through Friday. As Harvey said in classic understatement, sharing Sunday's forecast, "Icky."

https://marineweather.net/coastal/west-coast-vancouver-island-north-marine-forecast

I may try again next year (after we hear more about Sandy's trip), but I get the sense that I'd better add at least an extra month to my schedule and bring a lot of reading material. (Incidentally, the bugs in Desolation Sound and the Broughtons this year were the worst I've ever seen. Particularly the no-seeums—the little blood suckers pop right through my mosquito netting!)

Some details on my not entirely unsuccessful trip, and pictures, here:

https://osprey-alaska.org/

Break a leg, Sandy!
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandion wrote:
Incidentally, the bugs in Desolation Sound and the Broughtons this year were the worst I've ever seen. Particularly the no-seeums—the little blood suckers pop right through my mosquito netting!

I've had really good luck deploying mosquito coils in the little stainless holders below. Put it out on the swim step or in the splash well immediately upon dropping anchor. When I was on Lake Ozette, I would light it before I even dropped the anchor.

I have no-see-um netting on the windows. Something I learned was that I could make Velcro "els" for each corner of a window using the stick-on Velcro "hook" material and simply stretch and attach an approximately-sized piece of material over the window opening. No sewing, no accurate measuring, no complex fasteners, cheap, and they last for several seasons before the netting gets too many "runs" from being removed from the Velcro.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F43CVY3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: