The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Question for CD-16s with kicker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousYJ

City/Region: Flaming Gorge
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pup
Photos: C-Pup
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Question for CD-16s with kicker Reply with quote

Looking for a kicker choice for slow trolling. Was told by the seller of my CD-16 Cruiser that his 4hp couldn't go slow enough to troll. Considering 2.5hp but wanted to hear from any CD-16 owners with a kicker.
We always see posts asking how fast the kicker will move the boat, but I haven't found anything about how slow it will go.
Need to be able to troll between 1-3 mph. Anybody had good luck slow trolling with a kicker on their CD-16? If so, what hp is your kicker?

2018 Super Air Nautique 210 (Aug. 2018 to Present)
1992 Bayliner 2452 Classic (Jul. 2012 to Present)
Home port: Manila, UT
JT

City/Region: JUNEAU
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Lil Toot
Photos: Palomino
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 16' Angler has a 8 horse yamaha kicker and will troll as slow as you like. It also will move the boat at 5 knots as currently outfitted. Very Happy
forrest

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Long Story
Photos: Long Story
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have an 8 horse Yamaha on an 1800 Lund Fisherman (18'). I can troll slow enough to catch Walleye at .6 MPH. It's the quietest trolling motor that I've ever been around too. It's a brand new motor and it will absolutely putt along at a very low RPM. I just replaced my old 5 HP Honda kicker with it. The Honda motor always started and ran but it was noisy with lots of vibration due to having only one cylinder. It also had to be kept at a higher RPM or it would load up and die. Beware that single cylinder motors can run rough with a lot more vibration and need to be ran at a higher RPM to run smooth. Maybe the guy who sold you the boat had the same issue that I did.
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha 6HP (single cylinder same block as the 4HP) on the back of my 22 cruiser that I also use on my inflatable raft and can go below 1MPH with either boat. I did replace the prop for a higher thrust but I'm pretty sure I did go below 1 MPH with the original prop. I only replace the prop because it started to cavitate below 4MPH going against wind and wave. you may not have that issue on the 16.
sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem with "going really slow" for trolling is that when it is windy you need to go fast enough to maintain steerage, at least on my '22 cruiser. C-Dories really suck at going slow on a course with their flat bottoms, high cabins, and light weight.

My solution for going <1 to 3 mph is a front-mounted trolling motor. I use a Minn-Kota Terrova 80 lb. You can set it to 1) keep a heading, 2) troll a line, 3) follow a previous course, or 4) spot-lock, which will keep it in the same place, say for flounder fishing here.
chieftele

City/Region: Placerville
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Rose Bud
Photos: Rose Bud
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robhwa wrote:
Part of the problem with "going really slow" for trolling is that when it is windy you need to go fast enough to maintain steerage, at least on my '22 cruiser. C-Dories really suck at going slow on a course with their flat bottoms, high cabins, and light weight.

My solution for going <1 to 3 mph is a front-mounted trolling motor. I use a Minn-Kota Terrova 80 lb. You can set it to 1) keep a heading, 2) troll a line, 3) follow a previous course, or 4) spot-lock, which will keep it in the same place, say for flounder fishing here.

That’s the ticket, but do you have a bow rail, and how did you mount the minn-kota?

Sorry, just looked at your photos… you can just drop and tilt that then?
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Trolling motor for a 16' Reply with quote

Remember, your trolling motor should be strong enough to act as an emergency, "get home motor". Also, try not to mount it on the helm sde. as there will already be enough weight there with the operator. Smile

I have two Evinrudes, a 50hp E-Tec and an older 6hp. CoolSmile
ContagiousYJ

City/Region: Flaming Gorge
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pup
Photos: C-Pup
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I'll be on smaller inland lakes and am not as worried about having emergency propulsion at this point. Short answer is that the seller who told me about having problems going slow enough to troll was obviously mistaken. Looks like I have lots of options here!
Thanks all - kc
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chieftele wrote:
robhwa wrote:

That’s the ticket, but do you have a bow rail, and how did you mount the minn-kota?

Sorry, just looked at your photos… you can just drop and tilt that then?

Yes, you just need to get on the front, and tilting and dropping is easy. I thought I might have to cut the rail tubing, which wouldn't be that much of a problem, but I didn't. I used a removeable mounting plate. The dowside right now is that I had to remove the anchor winch. I never liked slurping mud and salt water into the cabin anyway, so I just pull in by hand and put in a box to rinse and dry before dropping into the pipe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: