The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Thinking of buying a 16' Cruiser: a few questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jake4578

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Thinking of buying a 16' Cruiser: a few questions Reply with quote

Hi, New to C-Brats here. I have my eye on a '94 C-Dory 16 for sale, but I have a few questions to help decide if it's right for my family. First, the price is $21,000. I know they hold their value, but it seems like the average sales price for a 16' is more like $15-$17. This was a one owner boat, used on a lake only, stored inside, has a 2002 40 hp Johnson with 130 hrs. It's been on the market for 3 months, so that makes me think the price is a little high? Was recently reduced from $25K. Second question is the size. My wife and I want to use this primarily for trips from Bellingham WA to the San Juans. We are not big people (both 5'7") and we would also bring our two small kids (5 and 3). It seems like it would be snug, but doable. The berth up forward would help a lot for the kids, and I like that the back deck is deep in the hull so there's no chance of them falling out! The third question is suitability for the Salish sea waters. I've never owned a boat, but I have several years of experience in the san Juans while I was a Coastie, but in a 25' aluminum safe boat and a 45' aluminum Jet boat. Pretty big difference between that and the tiny 16'. We're planning to only go out on nice days, when there's no rough water forecast, but I know things can change quickly. We might also use the boat for a trip down to the south sound (gig harbor area) once or twice a year in the summer to visit family. I like the light weight and small size of the boat for towing and storage because we don't have a lot of space, and I don't want to have to buy a bigger vehicle. The great fuel economy is huge right now, and I also love the enclosed cabin for comfort of the family. To me, this seems like a great option for us, and we could always upgrade to a 22' in a few years when the kids get bigger. Looking for some feedback from some people with 16' experience. Thanks!
kcohen4

City/Region: WILLIAMSBURG
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Annie M.
Photos: Annie M
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Your contemplated purchase Reply with quote

Hi
I have a 16 cruiser. I would think the boat for your purposes as a day boat would be OK. I am on the other coast and use it for that. Go out with between 2 and 4 adults on a regular basis. 8 knots if it is rough and 22 on plane if it is calm.
You can look at my picture album as I put a bench in the stern for more seating.
If you plan on overnights I think it is too small for 2 adults and 2 kids to stay on the boat. Maybe take it to a beach with a tent would be OK.
I also think the price sounds high.
I am not selling mine but the one you are looking at is 10 years older than mine, and the motor is 20 years old. I would think mine with a 50 hour 2019 50 horse Yamaha might be worth what they are asking.

1982 CC Landfall 38
1979 Catalina 27
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boats stored inside usually show and look almost brand new, so maybe the price is justified, but I think it's still on the steep side of things. But honestly, the boat is probably too small for what you want to do with it anyway. I've been on 16s before and they are tiny...really tiny. I think everyone would be far happier in a 22 (in just about every way) when Bellingham Bay kicks up with the chop.
jake4578

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: re: kcohen4 Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply: to clarify, any overnights with the boat would be tent camping in the islands or staying at beach cabins etc. Great photos! I really like the deck on your boat. Is that aftermarket or does the newer model come with that?
jake4578

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: photos of 16' for sale Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/504049398027907
croakz

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Blue
Photos: Jolly Blue
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Welcome to c-brats! My family (me, wife, 8yo) got our first boat a little over a year ago, initially looking at a 16 and ending up with a 22 Angler.

I'd say the 16 would be too small for a family of 4, including little kids. We probably over pack being used to car camping than backpacking, but it feels like our 22 is pretty full when we go tent camping at Blake Island or other South Sound state parks.

My boat's at the Des Moines Marina, so if you're planning a trip down south I'd be happy to show you the size of a 22 (Angler).

- tom
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have been a "Coastie" in those waters, you know that the tidal rips can really run strong even on a good day.

Personally I would go for a 22 for your family--or maybe a 19 if you could find one.

It could be done with a 16, but I feel it is marginal.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
kcohen4

City/Region: WILLIAMSBURG
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Annie M.
Photos: Annie M
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deck is after market Seadek. Was bored during COVID so did some extra things to the boat.
Leo Smith

City/Region: West Seattle
Photos: Leo
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest holding out for a 19' or 22' C-Dory. More 22's have been built and there are typically one or 2 for sale on the Seattle Craigslist. My wife and I owned a Toland 18-8 when our sons were young. My wife affectionately referred to our boat as "the clown car" when all 4 of us were aboard!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: