txmntman

City/Region: GEORGETOWN
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Saint Somewhere
Photos: Saint Somewhere
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of C-Dorys! You will likely really enjoy the boat. I'm at the opposite end of the world from you (Central Texas) but feel sure it will serve you well. May God bless all who sail on her!
Boston Whaler Montauk "Joe Bob" Sold
Hobie Cat "Mikey Likes It" Sold
mutski

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Just Us
Photos: Just Us
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At long last we took the new old boat for a maiden voyage. We started in calm weather, came back in 2-3 foot seas, pretty calm for Kachemak Bay. It rode well, very comfortable for two people. Sit-down driving feels strange. I stood to drive our prior dory.

Gliches along the way :

After an afternoon on the water, the motor started sputtering when I advanced the throttle. We tried the trolling motor, and it died after a few minutes running full throttle. I managed t limp home with the main running at low speed. Fuel for both motors comes through the transom-mounted filter, so it seems likely that's the problem. I'll buy a new cartridge today.

The tell-tail stream for our 2005 90HP Suzuki did not run. I was about to take it to a mechanic to have the water pump checked when a moare experienced Suzuki owner pulled out the nozzle, cleaned out some salt crystals, and got it going. It quit again before we got home. I'm going to buy the hose flush "earmuffs" and run fresh water through to clean out all the salt.

Trim tabs seem sluggish, stbd side doesn't go down all the way, at least from the guage on the dash. I need to check on shore where I can see what's happening. The Hydraulic Power Unit is mounted on the transom under the motor well. I don't think I can even check the hydraulic fluid without taking it off, don't know if there is room to slide it out of the mounting bracket. Is this the factory install location? Needs further investigation.

Suzuki water pressure and motor tilt guages not functional. More stuff to troubleshoot.

My new Garmin chartplotter sonar plot fails in deep water (30-40 fathoms) somewhere between 15 and 20 knots. Maybe raise the transducer a hair?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutski wrote:
... The Hydraulic Power Unit is mounted on the transom under the motor well. I don't think I can even check the hydraulic fluid without taking it off, don't know if there is room to slide it out of the mounting bracket. Is this the factory install location? Needs further investigation.

My '08 has the pump mounted under the splashwell between the fuel tanks just over the sump at the back of the cockpit.

My tabs have always worked so I've never tried to check/add/change the HPU fluid.
mutski

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the HPU wasn't difficult to remove. Just four screws to remove the mounting bracket, and out it came. The ATF reservoir was almost empty. I filled it and now the trim tabs work. Smile

Fire extinguisher is now mounted with a First Alert Bracket 2 on the wall between the windows on the port side. I used #10 stainless screws with finish washers and some 4000 sealant on the outside. The Kiddie Mariner 10 fire extinguisher didn't fit; I had to trade it for a First Alert Garage extinuisher, and surprisingly I still had to adjust the latch ring with some heavy pliers to close the retainer strap.

I talked to a mechanic about the engine stalling at high throttle. He said it sounds like condensation in the fuel tanks, and I might need to drain and clean them. I bought a spare fuel/water separator cartrige, think I will try once more before draining the tanks. Maybe I'll get a 6-gallon portable tank for backup.

The Suzuki water pressure and motor trim gauges aren't working. I fixed a kink in the water pressure sensor tube, still no reading at idle in the driveway. I dont see anything obvious to fix on the motor trim gauge. Suzuki may have to tackle that one.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutski wrote:
.., I talked to a mechanic about the engine stalling at high throttle. He said it sounds like condensation in the fuel tanks, and I might need to drain and clean them. I bought a spare fuel/water separator cartrige, think I will try once more before draining the tanks. Maybe I'll get a 6-gallon portable tank for backup. ...

Not sure why the throttle setting would make a difference. If the gas is bad, then the gas is bad. However, in theory if the engine runs at a lesser throttle, you can keep replenishing the gas with new "dry" gas (must be ethanol fuel though). The ethanol in the "dry" gas will pick up about 0.5% of the water. Keep doing this and you will eventually remove all the water in your tank.
mutski

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I changed the fuel filter cartridge and put Sta-Bil Marine 360 in the fuel tanks. We had the boat out all afternoon yesterday with no fuel problems. Smile

Trim tabs are working slick since I filled the ATF tank.

I angled the transducer tail slightly up rather than slightly down, but I still lose the bottom in deep water at high speed. I guess the next step is to lower it a smidgeon.

When I brought the boat home, I noticed the bow eye is bent to one side. I don't know whether I did that somehow or just never noticed before, but it irks me. Today's project is to bent it straight or replace it.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm going to buy the hose flush "earmuffs" and run fresh water through to clean out all the salt

if this has not been done a lot or you think you have build up I would recommend using salt away. Also remember that you need the thermostats to open or your not getting a good flush. The water from my well is so cold it will never open the thermostats at idle. WITH THE MOTOR IN NEUTRAL. run up the idle to about 2k rpm until you fell warm water come out the exhaust in the center of the prop. That way you know the thermostats opened and you got a proper flush. Most people do not understand this and don't do it.

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom, thanks for the information. I always flush my Suzuki 140 in a full 100 gallon livestock tank and let it run for 20 minutes. The thermostat opens as it should running at idle and the water is warm to the touch at the pee hose before shut down. No need here to increase the rpms. Am I missing something? The Suzuki Owner's Manual advises not to increase the rpms while in neutral. This may be specific for my motor only. Works for me.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the water gets to temp your fine. Its just here at my house, and many others, my well water is very cold and the at idle the motor will not heat up. I have tested it. so if I want the thermostats to open i have to increase the RPM. If you have 70 degree water like i did in Sacramento your fine.
mutski

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you use Saltaway? Must I run the motor in a tank?

I got the cover latches working on my 2005 Suzuki 90HP. They had apparently been little-used for a long time. The first time I checked the oil, I had to beat them open with a hammer and a block of wood. I loosened the bolts inside the motor housing enough to get some penetrating oil where it counts and worked them back and forth a lot. Much better - can open them without a hammer now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: