The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

SO WHAT DID YOU DO WITH OR ON YOUR C-DORY TODAY??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 274, 275, 276 ... 279, 280, 281  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hang a light in about thirty feet just after dark. The vertical migration of pelagic critters begins and lasts until just before dawn. The green light attracts small critters, which are followed by larger ones. We dive close enough to the light to photograph the animals without getting too close to the light to scare them off. I'm in my mid 60s and Merry is eleven years older. We'll hopefully keep diving until someone takes our cameras away. Smile
https://youtu.be/B8aXTqMrXdg

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried the light in our slip. It's brighter than I expected. Even in dirty harbor water, the light was over thirty feet in every direction.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do U/W macrophotography but cannot come close to the masterful
above photos.

David Liittschwager has done it for National Geographic. See more, including
a male seahorse giving birth, here:

https://www.npr.org/sections/pictureshow/2022/06/25/1103324203/octopus-seahorse-jellyfish-national-geographic-liittschwager

Aye.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil I like diving but only go every 5 years or so, all i can afford. But night diving is a " hell no " for me. Susan Likes it and I cant even stand watching her do it. Night diving with a dinner bell, sorry, big green light? Nope NOpe hell no.... Love your photos. A lot of training timing and work goes in to those and you do it very well. Have you been published?
Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a dive guide to local sites,
Diving the Palos Verdes Peninsula
https://tinyurl.com/y284hzf8

I used to write columns in a couple of magazines and occasionally have a photo or two in California Diving News.
Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
Phil I like diving but only go every 5 years or so, all i can afford. But night diving is a " hell no " for me. Susan Likes it and I cant even stand watching her do it. Night diving with a dinner bell, sorry, big green light? Nope NOpe hell no....
I'm with you there. Merry loves night diving. I can take it or leave it but would prefer to leave it. Some of our favorite dives this year were at Keystone Jetty across the sound from you. There is lots of decent diving in your neighborhood, but it requires a drysuit.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next time your up here please let use know and come for dinner.

Susan tried diving here when we first moved here 20 years ago and said hell no.. but that was in very think wet suits. She dove elliott bay and found a tire. I got qualified here , again in very think wet suits, and did not think a much of it but I know that there is a lot to see. Susan just hates the cold water that much. You cant really rent dry suits here that I know of or I would give it a try again.
Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighthouse Diving Center in Lynnwood rents drysuits. Smile
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not just today, But . . . .

I just got back from a few days down on the Columbia River, launching at Port of Kalama. YES, it is a steep ramp, but it is a nice facility. The Columbia was running like crazy --- mid channel flow was 3+ knots for the entire time. Docking gets interesting. either parallel with the current or perpendicular Shocked

I got to meet some new friends (C-BRATS for sure), and had a great time on some interesting, flowing water. Thanks Tom, for the guided tour on you local area haunts. And Thanks to Bo for coming over to share some chat time on my way off the water.

I updated my Raymarine electronics at Rodgers Marine Electronics back in Feb and the new Doppler 2 radar had a weird, growling/'groaning/moaning sound. Yes that favorite kind, intermittent, variable and non-patterned, and obnoxious. After a few conversations with Raymarine Warranty management, I contacted a certified Raymarine tech and he verified what I had going on. When I called Rodger's and told them Raymarine wanted more recordings, Marty at Rodger's said to just bring it down to them and they would replace it and then they would deal with Raymarine. YUP, that's what I wanted, and I mad an ASAP appointment. And YES, now it works great. Great service, and customer support.

Rodger's Marine Electronics in Portland OR

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

mutski

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Just Us
Photos: Just Us
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacificcoast101 wrote:
We hang a light in about thirty feet just after dark. The vertical migration of pelagic critters begins and lasts until just before dawn. The green light attracts small critters, which are followed by larger ones. We dive close enough to the light to photograph the animals without getting too close to the light to scare them off. I'm in my mid 60s and Merry is eleven years older. We'll hopefully keep diving until someone takes our cameras away. Smile
https://youtu.be/B8aXTqMrXdg

Awesome photos, also on your stock photos page!
croakz

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Blue
Photos: Jolly Blue
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from a couple days with the family at Jarrell Cove State Park. The dock setup is pretty nice, there were many open spots on July 3rd.

Coolest thing is as we go to the north point of Harstine Island, we saw orcas! It was the first time we had seen orcas from the boat.
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

croakz wrote:
Just got back from a couple days with the family at Jarrell Cove State Park. The dock setup is pretty nice, there were many open spots on July 3rd.

Coolest thing is as we go to the north point of Harstine Island, we saw orcas! It was the first time we had seen orcas from the boat.

We've been out in south Sound also, and see orcas every day from our porch or boat. These are the transient Biggs orcas that eat seals and sea lions. The dramatic increase in seals (threefold since 1980's) in recent years meshes with salmon (major decreases since 1980's), since it is estimated that seals and sea lions consume most of the salmon now. Yesterday, the orcas were near Eagle Island, which is normally a seal haven, but you don't see seals grouped by the dozens now like in past years.

My hope is that these seal-eating orcas will stay in south sound for a while and continue to consume seals and get their numbers lower, which may also aid the resident, endangered, salmon-eater orcas. All killer whales/orcas are fun to watch, for sure, particularly when you are in a kayak and they come close.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just improved upon and made some new spinners for the VHF antennas on our boat. These are little spinners that go on the antennas, then I can attach small windsocks to and it allows the windsocks to spin around the antennas. I used some PVC board, planed down to various sizes, for the center hub and end caps, and then some hard nylon plastic for the outer piece that spins around the center. To fit the proper place on the antenna, one spinner has an ID of 5/8” and the other 1/2”. The OD of the hub is 1”. The spinner OD is about 1 3/4". Using the PVC board as the hub allows me to glue the caps on with PVC cement. I need to be able to place the spinner onto the center hub before attaching the end caps. The earlier spinners I built were made entirely out of the hard nylon plastic, but the glue on the end caps didn’t hold up so well, so I just had them held tight against the center hub with zip ties around the antenna. (I only have two antennas, but made some extra spinners for spares.) Colby

This first photo is of the spinner parts. The bottom cap is already glued on.

Spinner outer ring placed over hub.

Top cap now glued on.

This last photo shows a side view of the spinner.
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I went on a short 4-night fishing and cruising trip last week to Gambier Island in Howe Sound, BC. We caught a nice salmon for dinner and headed toward one of our favorite anchorages to cook it up and drop some crab traps.
Rounding a point towards the anchorage, we spotted something big in the harbor... Wow! A 60 meter catamaran that looked like a stealth warship.....then further around the bend we see another huge yacht at anchor named the Lorian. The catamaran is named Hodor. Turns out they are on their way to Alaska according to the locals we talked to. The Hodor is a "support" ship for the Lorian and hauls all of the toys, including a 5 engine bullet boat, numerous jet skis, atv's, etc are all housed on board. (Oh, and a helicopter as well).

https://www.boatinternational.com/yachts/editorial-features/hodor-the-worlds-largest-toybox--41623

https://www.superyachttimes.com/yachts/lonian

Some more pics in my album...
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Other-boats-and-odds-and-ends&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't reply here unless I have something to add, except in this case...OMG! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 274, 275, 276 ... 279, 280, 281  Next
Page 275 of 281

Jump to: