colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Electric Philosophy was on a ball out in Reid Harbor. The entire roof is covered with solar panels.
https://48north.com/cruising/cruising-technique/electric-philosophy-a-new-solar-electric-powercat-sails-on-the-sun/

C-Traveler on the Reid park dock with Electric Philosophy in the background

The research vessel Brendan D II pulled in behind us. Has some kind of drone he can drag behind him. I asked one of the mates what it was for and he said they look at the sea floor.

Looking at the Fossil Bay dock from the Ev Henry trail.

In case you wanted to know how it works. Composting toilets at Fossil Bay. (I was the kid in class that asked how and why when the teacher said what. Mr. Green )

Picture of the boats moored in Fossil Bay.
primative

City/Region: Portland
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Primative
Photos: Primative
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Colby, love the process and that final product from the composting toilets. Very Happy

Looks like good weather for you there as I predicted Laughing
It FINALLY arrived here. The Columbia cont. to rise since you left. No beaches, water into the brush.

Happy 1st day of summer

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom! Yeah, I heard the forecast before leaving. Sounded like the Columbia was going to reach flood stage. Said the last time that happened was in 2017. Too bad some of that water can't be shipped down to Lake's Powell and Mead!

We were one of the last boats on the dock to depart Fossil Bay late this morning, and headed for Olga. Just before leaving, one of the San Juan passenger ferries brought in some kayakers and their kayaks. Olga didn't have much to offer us. No charge if just spending a few hours on the dock, otherwise .75/foot. We did walk up to the pottery store, and then the Artworks building, taking a look inside at both. The cafe is still closed. Walked back to the boat and decided to head to Fisherman's Bay at Lopez Island for the night and just anchor out. Found a nice spot in 3' of water at low tide, just inside the green buoy. Put out 55' of anchor rode, which should be enough scope for calm night with an 8' tide. Tomorrow we'll find a courtesy dock and walk into town to look around.

Hey Tyboo, can you possibly rename this thread to PNW 2022, Columbia River and San Juan Islands? Thanks.

Colby

Picture of the passenger ferry that came into Fossil Bay.

View of Olga as we were cruising in.

Picture of the Orcas Island Artworks building in Olga

Description of the Artworks building.

Long and narrow walkway to Olga's public dock. Only room for about 6 boats on the dock.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the name change Tyboo!

Last night was my best night of sleep yet, while we were anchored in Fisherman Bay at Lopez Island. No mooring balls banging on the hull, no squeaky mooring lines on our cleats, no rocking and rolling from wakes or tidal currents, and no dock noises! After breakfast we headed over to Island Marine for courtesy docking so we could walk into town. Cost was $10 for a few hours. It was a short walk under a mile. Unfortunately, it’s not quite the summer tourist season here yet, so other than the coffee shops and grocery store, most the shops are only open Friday-Sunday. Got back to the boat and after making a quick stop at the E and F docks walkway at the Port of Friday Harbor so I could empty the porta potti at their dump station, I decided to go around the south and west side of San Juan Island to get to Garrison Bay and the English Camp park. Thought maybe if we wanted to see any whales, that would be the way to go. We didn’t see any whales, but we did pound ourselves in 2 to 3 foot chop! Guess we should have gone the shorter and more protected way around the north side. I’m also really missing our fresh water lakes inland. Running faster in the chop for a little better ride and to get through it sooner, C-Traveler was doused with salt spray everywhere. It’s really a pain to clean off the windows without dousing them with fresh water. Not sure how you coastal folks keep your boats clean! At Garrison Bay, I was able to get C-Traveler on the small dinghy dock. We hiked around English Camp, and after figuring out the signage maps, found the English Cemetery. There is also a virtual Geocache here, so I claimed another smiley. We’ve made another change to our plans. I’ve wanted to visit the C-Dory factory, and have that opportunity now. So Thursday we’ll make our way to Bellingham and spend the night there. Then tour the C-Dory factory Friday morning. Not much cell coverage in the Bay here, so I’ll upload some photos tomorrow! Colby
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It’s really a pain to clean off the windows without dousing them with fresh water. Not sure how you coastal folks keep your boats clean!

There's no getting around it.....you've got to rinse off the windows with fresh water before you clean them. I use a sponge in a bucket of fresh water; splash/smear a bunch of fresh water on the window; remove the water with a squeegee; and finally clean up any water residue with a paper towel.

If I want to get fancy then I might go around again and wash normally with glass spray and paper towels. Really fancy (although it's normal procedure for the front 3 windows), once the salt is off, I clean them with RainX.

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

While at Olga, did you miss the Buck Bay Shellfish Farm? That is the main reason we stop by there for their locally caught Dungeness Crab, Spot Prawns and Buck Bay Oysters that they cook and serve right on the spot. Gary

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Colby, Welcome to salt chuck boating. Yes, It is a pain to keep the windows clean, and the rest of the boat. I carry a spray bottle with a mix of water and vinegar and use it liberally. It helps cut the salt smear, but it doesn't last forever. I always try to keep the spray below the topsides Smile Some days that even works, usually until I get off the dock. Shocked Disgust

I do use Rain-X and it helps, but again, not for long.

Like the name change. More reflective of the content. Thanks to you and Mike.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
While at Olga, did you miss the Buck Bay Shellfish Farm? That is the main reason we stop by there for their locally caught Dungeness Crab, Spot Prawns and Buck Bay Oysters that they cook and serve right on the spot.

Hey Gary,
Yep, we missed it. We probably should have walked over there. We thought about taking the boat, but we were at low tide, and looked like a mud flat between us and the small dock and ramp in that area. I'll have to note that for next time. Would have been good for lunch if that had worked out!

Another very peaceful night on anchor in Garrison Bay. I had anchored us pretty much right between Gus Island and the Dinghy dock in 5' of water at low tide. Maybe a dozen other larger boats anchored in the deeper water NW of Gus Island. Left there and headed up towards Roche Harbor, and then slowly took the shallow pass out from there. Depth smartly came up to 7' under the boat for a short distance, then dropped back off. Ran on plane for a ways towards Bellingham Bay as the current was just enough to be eating up fuel anyway. Stopped at Matia Island's Rolfe Cove for lunch and walked the 1 mile loop trail to the other side of the Island. Nice path to hike. Left there pretty much on a direct course to go around the north end of Lummi Island to continue down Hale Passage. Gave a call to Seattle Traffic on Ch 5 just to check in with them as we were cutting perpendicular across the shipping lanes. He gave me a report of several commercial craft in the area that were already passing and we pressed on. (Back in slow cruise at this point.) As we entered Bellingham Bay, we could see it probably wasn't going to work out to spend the night on Northwest Marine Industries dock. Winds were out of the NW with a lot of chop. We did stop and tie up for about an hour and met Julie and Michael. Tomorrow Michael will give us a tour of the facility. Interesting to see an older USCG 47 foot patrol boat on the dock. Those are ones that can self right themselves in the surf. Michael shared that a shop next to them refurbishes the CG boats and sometimes use their dock. Also saw two sunken boats, a sailboat on the dock, and then a powerboat nearer to shore. Apparently they break lose from the anchorage near by and then become grounded on the shore. That was the powerboats story. The sail boat was left tied up to the dock during a storm with it's stern to the waves, and took on water. Both boats have been there a while and doesn't seem like the City is in too big of a hurry to get them removed!
We are at the guest dock at Squalicum Harbor this evening. Very peaceful and calm all the way back in the marina. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inlet to Fisherman Bay at Lopez Island

Story of Sally J

The Sally J at the Lopez Village Museum

Some good fish netting information

Island Marine at Lopez Island

This old shipwreck has been at Fisherman Bay on Lopez Island for a long time.

Cattle Point Lighthouse

Lime Kiln Point Lighthouse

C-Traveler on the dinghy dock at English Camp in Garrison Bay

Boats anchored in Garrison Bay

Proof I was there. Mr. Green

Sun setting at Garrison Bay
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolfe Cove at Matia Island

Matia Cove at Matia Island

We hiked the loop trail on Matia Island. Very nice trail amongst some very big trees. In fact, there is one tree that you can stand inside to get your picture!

Some sunken boats near Northwest Marine Industries

USCG Motor Lifeboat 47276. I did some quick googling, and looks like this boat started out at Ponce de Leon Inlet in Florida, before ending up in Tillamook, Or.

Admiral in the cockpit of C-Traveler on the guest dock at Squalicum Harbor

Another view at Squalicum Harbor

One more view.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No charge if just spending a few hours on the dock, otherwise .75/foot.

It's a little known fact but if you have a current Washington State Parks Pass, moorage on the Olga County dock is free. Learned this recently from a good friend and fellow C-Brat living on the island. Steve, are you there? The County and State have an agreement on this considering that the dock was once a State Park Dock.

Wow Colby, look at you and Rosanne. All alone on the Matia dock. The weather looks fabulous. Maybe we should consider moving the annual Friday Harbor C-Brats Get-Together to the end of June to hopefully have weather like you are experiencing this week?

Yes, try to make it next time to the Buck Bay Shellfish Farm. They have outdoor seating, excellent food and the staff working there are very friendly. You won't be sorry for the time it takes to walk there from the County dock. Gary
Yosef

City/Region: Eastern Washington (state)
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Heron
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Gave a call to Seattle Traffic on Ch 5 just to check in with them as we were cutting perpendicular across the shipping lanes. He gave me a report of several commercial craft in the area that were already passing and we pressed on.

Colby,

How did you know to do this, e.g., how did you know you could use VHF channel 5 to contact "Seattle Traffic?"

-Neophyte
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, there was actually one other boat on the dock with us. They came in about the same time. And just before we left, a sail boat came in and anchored. It really was a nice place to walk the trail, but a very small cove with quite a bit of current when the tides were changing. Neophyte, I was aware of the VTS from prior knowledge and my charts. I used the internet to find the proper channel for the area. I don't think I was required to call them, but I was cutting directly across the shipping lane and only going hull speed. So kind of wanted to let them know I was there, and also find out if anything was in or out bound that I would need to be looking for. I do have an AIS transceiver on my boat, so I'm sure they probably could see me anyway.

Had a quiet night on the guest dock at Bellingham, and then headed back over to Northwest Marine Industries this morning. Harvey (Sleepy C) got up pretty early to catch a ferry from his home, and then rode his Motorcycle the rest of the way. Was great to finally meet him, and then we all enjoyed a very interesting tour by one of NMI's owners, Michael, of the C-Dory plant. Very interesting to see how the boats are built, and to also learn about some of the business issues that have to be dealt with. Like everybody else, getting parts is a real issue and one thing that really stood out in my mind was that NMI's costs can go up quite a bit even after someone has put in a purchase order for a boat. Michael said they try to make the best of that, but many times things have to be ordered as they go along, and those costs may be quite a bit more than they were when the initial purchase order was made. So the boat may end up costing more for the manufacturer to make than what they planned on when the boat was ordered. (That cost is not passed on to the previous buyer.) And while he has some great experienced employees that have been with him for some time, he is still finding it hard to replace them (just like every other employer). The other issue is that these great employees are getting older and will eventually retire. The pipeline is open for some apprentices! Michael is very much into supporting our vets, and the new boats now have a small sticker with the American Flag that says Made in the USA. Three boats were getting ready to go out the door, and there were a number of others under construction. Those brand new boats sure look nice! Cat-O-Mine John, I saw a tomcat there that would be my next boat if I were to upgrade again. Ok, it wasn't a TomCat, but it was a Catamaran, and 32' long I believe. Michael said he had that in 6' waves, at 30mph, still drinking coffee without spilling a drop! Anyway, I was entirely impressed with the build of our boats and it gave me that more confidence in the C-Dory! After that, Harvey went to lunch with us, and then we parted and went our separate ways.
I had planned to spend tonight back in Eagle Cove on Cypress Island, but all the balls were taken, and I didn't want to anchor. (I think anchoring is frowned upon now in the shallower waters due to the eel grass.) Before pulling into Eagle Cove to check it out, we heard boats talking about whales in Hale Passage... But we were already well past there, so didn't bother to go back. We ended up back at Cap Sante this evening, in a slip close to the sling. Got C-Traveler cleaned up and pretty much ready to sling out tomorrow. Been a great trip in the PNW, but looking forward to getting back to salt-free water! Pictures to follow in a while, or tomorrow. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tired, it's late, and I want to get a good start on our 2000 mile drive home tomorrow, so until I get some more time to move those pictures over to the thread, you can go to my nested album to see my photos from today.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3438&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=6

Also, final stats for the San Juan Islands part of my trip, 187 total statute miles cruised, burning 56 gals of gasoline. ($4.99/g loaded on at a safeway near Graham. Smile ) Colby
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
Quote:
No charge if just spending a few hours on the dock, otherwise .75/foot.

It's a little known fact but if you have a current Washington State Parks Pass, moorage on the Olga County dock is free. Learned this recently from a good friend and fellow C-Brat living on the island. Steve, are you there? The County and State have an agreement on this considering that the dock was once a State Park Dock.

This is what was told to me by a State Parks ranger. He said you still need to fill out the form and put it in the drop box, like all the other State docks when staying the night, but instead of paying just write in your valid permit number.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: