The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Temperature Setting on Seaward Hot Water Heater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Temperature Setting on Seaward Hot Water Heater Reply with quote

Hello, I have a Seaward hot water heater, model S700 on my 2007 25' c-dory. The water coming out of that thing is dangerously hot. I can't figure out a way to turn down the max temp on the heater. Perhaps there is not a way. The manual says nothing about this and I can't find much online either. Does anybody else have any experience with these? Thanks.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same model on my 2005 CD25. There are 2 "thingies" on the front of the unit with wires going to them. One is pretty obviously the heating element (part #73129); the other is the "hi-limit" thermostat part (#74563). It is the thermostat that tells the heater when the water is hot enough to stop heating. If this thermostat is fine, there is no way to change the "set point" temperature -- the temperature is the temperature; but if it's bad, the heater may just keep on heating.

I replace both these parts 2 years ago. I wanted a 1000 watt element (less load on generator), and I replaced the thermostat too for good measure (the part was relatively cheap as I remember). Note you do not have to drain the tank to replace the thermostat; it does not penetrate the tank.

P.S. You might be able to buy a different but compatible thermostat with a lower set point.

johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
I have the same model on my 2005 CD25. There are 2 "thingies" on the front of the unit with wires going to them. One is pretty obviously the heating element (part #73129); the other is the "hi-limit" thermostat part (#74563). It is the thermostat that tells the heater when the water is hot enough to stop heating. If this thermostat is fine, there is no way to change the "set point" temperature -- the temperature is the temperature; but if it's bad, the heater may just keep on heating.

I replace both these parts 2 years ago. I wanted a 1000 watt element (less load on generator), and I replaced the thermostat too for good measure (the part was relatively cheap as I remember). Note you do not have to drain the tank to replace the thermostat; it does not penetrate the tank.

P.S. You might be able to buy a different but compatible thermostat with a lower set point.

Thanks Sandy, good info. I'll check that out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: