Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject: oops Reply with quote

Oops, I may be mistaken about the top of the companionway being "open".. I think they were on some older models?

[img]https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/22-c-dory-angler-for-sale.560683/img]

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as singlehand operation of a 22: dont worry, you sound like you have more water experience in one arm than I ever had before buying a 22. I make mistakes often, and still manage to get the boat to the dock. I have found it not to be a matter of “can I learn to dock this boat” but more a matter of “can I learn to dock this boat without my wife throwing me off it for barking directions to compensate for my poor maneuvering”. Had some close calls but we’re getting better! Nothing turns heads like putting a boat you can sleep on in that LAST little spot on the inside of the dock with 18 inches of water under it. Good luck in your adventures and decisions!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Nigel, Good to see you here.

Quote:
". . . . So then, the 19A and 22A will both have the same companionway?

If so, they companionway hatch has both an open front AND an open top to them, right? If the top is also open, can someone sit there (facing aft?)"

Yes the 19 (only one model so no Angler or Cruiser version in that length), have the same companionway, (passage between the V-Birth and the cabin), as a 22 Cruiser or 22 Angler. I don't believe it is a hatch, but I do recall seeing on some 16's a bulkhead between the V-birth and the "cabin" with a companionway that closed like on many sailboats, with an overhead portion. This assembly was to allow securing the V-birth contents.

Sitting in the V-birth in either the 19 or the 22's would not be comfort able for long; no head room.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

mutski

City/Region: Homer
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Just Us
Photos: Just Us
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very new to the C-dory game. Our 2005 22 Cruiser had its maiden voyage today, fresh up from Washington to Alaska. AS for towing, our Toyota Tundra has plenty of power for the 22. I hardly feel the extra weight even on steep hills. It's long on the trailer, less maneuverable than I expected after our 22' homemade wooden dory. The wooden boat was on a homemade trailer maybe with the wheels closer to the tongue, and we have bigger truck, 8' bed with a double cab. I had no trouble maneuvering the old boat in our driveway, but we had to add some gravel to maneuver the 22 Cruiser easily.

The 22 Cruiser feels rolly compared to my wooden dory, which was slightly wider with a flat bottom. However, on our first cruise, the C-Dory felt very comfortable and stable in a 2-3 foot chop. It's quite roomy for two or three people.
cbbernard

City/Region: Wakefield
State or Province: RI
Vessel Name: SEA STORY
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm relatively new to C--Dory ownership, but my primary use of my CD22 is singlehanding it. Wind can make it a little hairy but you figure out the tricks.

My secondary use is day cruising with my wife and big dog, and my wife—who knows nothing about boats, despite us having owned several—can work a boat hook or take the wheel when needed.

We also do a fair amount of sightseeing or cocktail cruises with other couples visiting us. Four people in the boat is fine, though I wouldn't want to overnight with them for too long. Sometimes the stern rides low if the three adults congregate in the cockpit while we're at no-wake speeds, but with a little throttle she planes without complaint.

I've owned bigger boats and smaller boats. My wife wishes this one had an enclosed head, but makes due with the privacy curtain. Otherwise, this one really hits the sweet spot. Can't recommend enough.
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about going from single-handing a 16 to a 22. I have often launched my 16' at crappy boat ramps known to only be good for "small boats" (I like to go to rugged and adventurous places), or ones that aren't good at low tides (like Homes harbor on Whidbey Island, Union bay ramp at Hood Canal, Freshwater bay ramp near Port Angeles).

So how much more difficult would it be with a 22?

Also, some days I like to "hitch and go", run out fishing for part of a day. How much harder would it be to do that with a 22!?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood Zeppelin wrote:
I'm curious about going from single-handing a 16 to a 22. I have often launched my 16' at crappy boat ramps known to only be good for "small boats" (I like to go to rugged and adventurous places), or ones that aren't good at low tides (like Homes harbor on Whidbey Island, Union bay ramp at Hood Canal, Freshwater bay ramp near Port Angeles).

So how much more difficult would it be with a 22?

Also, some days I like to "hitch and go", run out fishing for part of a day. How much harder would it be to do that with a 22!?

I don’t know about those particular launches. However, I do take my 22 out just for the afternoon. The ramp I use is about 4 miles from my house. From hooking up the trailer to getting the boat wet is about 45 minutes. I do it single handed. It does take a little more muscle to move my boat on and off the trailer than a 16 (I expect).

I have launched off of gravel ramps. With a 22, 4WD and good tires are necessary due to the weight. Otherwise you’ll probably just spin the tires in the gravel when pulling the boat out.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that the original poster, wdr99, posted only this thread in 2016 and not since. Just out of curiosity does anybody know if he bought another boat, non-C-Dory, gave up the idea or what?

This isn't about the thread, but about wdr99. A lot of people seem to have questions about C-Dorys and never get any farther. So I'm curious, what happened in this case?

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
I've noticed that the original poster, wdr99, posted only this thread in 2016 and not since. Just out of curiosity does anybody know if he bought another boat, non-C-Dory, gave up the idea or what?

This isn't about the thread, but about wdr99. A lot of people seem to have questions about C-Dorys and never get any farther. So I'm curious, what happened in this case?

Boris

Boris, looking at wdr99 profile, the only posts which were made were on this thread in 2016. So the conclusion should be, that he either didn't buy a C dory, or does not post which leaves the question unanswered.

I sent wdr99 a PM asking what decision about a C Dory he had come to, or if he had bought another boat. We will see if he answers.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well knowing that the OP hasn't been active since 2016 makes me not worry about "hijacking" the thread!

I do like this thread as a way to discuss the pro's and con's of 16's, 19's, and 22's !
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And speaking of comparing and contrasting these models.. Does anyone know the interior gunwale height (or maybe also called the "cockpit depth") of these boats?

I think 19's and 22's have higher gunwales when measured from the cockpit floor/deck, correct? Anyone know these specs?
cbbernard

City/Region: Wakefield
State or Province: RI
Vessel Name: SEA STORY
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gunwales in my 22 are just under 32" high measured from the cockpit deck.
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha,

on my 16' Cruiser is 27" Cockpit depth.

I wonder if 19's are the same as 22's?
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a tricky and unusual question..

"How far away am I from the water!"?

In a 16' with 27" cockpit gunwale height, I can reach over the side and touch the water pretty easily (with a little bending over). So we're talking about water level relative to the cockpit floor/deck.

In a 22' with 32" cockpit gunwale height... is that simply 5" more gunwale height, and the distance from water level to cockpit floor/depth is the same?

(I know the draft of a 16" to be 6" and of a 22' to be 7". But then there is also the thickness from bottom of the hull to floor/deck in the equation..)
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But gunwale height could also determine how likely you are to fall out of the cockpit. Then you'd want to know the interior height.

Also, knowing the interior height could have implications re ease of boarding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: