The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Help with windless
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkswor

City/Region: tok
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Help with windless Reply with quote

Dropped my anchor today. Tried to retrieve it but after it pulls for a few seconds with weight applied the voltage drops below 11 volts and windless stops. So I helped it by pulling by hand while wife hits up switch. But it stops and low voltage alarm goes off
What do I do to fix this. I have new batteries bought 2 days ago. With anchor stowed I hit up switch and voltage drops 5 or more volts looking at my fish finder. Advice please
Thanks
Jim swor
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject: Windless electrical problem Reply with quote

Jim, There are potentially several issues that could have caused the problem you are experiencing with the windless. Assuming the two day old batteries are not defective, check to make certain they were charged to full capacity. Use a volt meter and look for a reading of at least 13 volts, but 14 volts is what you should expect. Check ALL cables and connections to be sure they are tight and clean. If the cable ends were newly installed with the new batteries, check the resistance with the ohmmeter. Cable end crimping can be a hidden problem if not done properly! Check the windless for jamming, especially if using all chain.
Depending on manufacturer, there should be a release for the gypsy that will allow further inspection. Use an anchor line snubber attached to the bow eye to take the strain off the rode before working around the windless. Once you have accomplished the foregoing and still have not resolved the problem, check back here for further information.

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with windless Reply with quote

jkswor wrote:
Dropped my anchor today. Tried to retrieve it but after it pulls for a few seconds with weight applied the voltage drops below 11 volts and windless stops. So I helped it by pulling by hand while wife hits up switch. But it stops and low voltage alarm goes off
What do I do to fix this. I have new batteries bought 2 days ago. With anchor stowed I hit up switch and voltage drops 5 or more volts looking at my fish finder. Advice please
Thanks
Jim swor

Did it work before new batts.?
Water /rust in the motor/gear box?
Too small wire to the windlass?
jkswor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the difference between last year when it worked and this year is that I replaced the old 3 ply rope with 8 plait rope. I think it might be jamming as it goes round and down into storage. It is not stiff so it does not push well
Dang that has to be it.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the 8 plait rope with 3o different windlasses and not jamming. That doesn't mean that there may not be some issues with your windlass

Do you power the boat until over the anchor, taking up the slack with the windlass? Then use the boat to break the anchor out of the sea bed?

Have you checked all of the connections for corrosion? Be sure that both positive and negative have bright clean connections. If you have a relay then check it also for carbon deposits and arcing.

What battery is the windlass hooked up to? It should be the engine start battery with the engine running to keep voltage up. The voltage without the engine running should be 12.7 volts no load. (Read the voltage at the battery, not the depth sounder.). what wire size is the cable to the windlass?

The windlass does require period service. Your manual should show that, but info is still available on line.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Have you checked all of the connections for corrosion? Be sure that both positive and negative have bright clean connections. If you have a relay then check it also for carbon deposits and arcing.

Agree with Bob on this. Even if the wire connections look clean and are tight, remove, wire brush and clean them. After retightening, I have a feeling that your problem will be solved.

jkswor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guage 4 wire hooked to start batteries. Will check all connections from batteries to windless. Also do all that other stuff. Windless is made by good in New Jersey. They told me it may not work with 8 plait. Hope connections are the issue and not the rope
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the motor running whilst you pull up the anchor? If so the alternator should support the load. If not try it.

Journey On had an original horizontal windlass, wheren the gearbox got jammed with sand. If the DC winch motor is stalled, it would draw a large current and blow the breaker.

Boris
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model "Good" Windlass. If it is a vertical axis? Verticals can jam more easily, and that could be a definite issue with the 8 plait. Is the Gypsy exposed if it is a horizontal axis? The Good windless has a great reputation. However I have never owned one.
jkswor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horizontal it is the 850 model
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

850 is a vertical axis windlass, and they need a substantial "drop" from the deck to the chain locker. The 850 is a combination rope/chain: 9/16" rope and 5/16" BBB chain. (Most of us have the Lewmar horizontal axis with the 1/2" rope and 1/4" High Test chain.)

So there are a number of factors agains the success with this windlass. (Even thought the model is an excellent windlass.)

The chain locker in the 25 should have enough "fall". But the grip of the vertical axis is not as good as the horizontal axis--then add in IF the rope and chain are not proper. (There is a remote possibility that either the proper rope and chain are used, or that there is a different rope/chain gypsy.)

The Good web site calls for the specific rope/chain. You can start out to see what rope and chain were on there before, and how well the links match up. Also measure the PO links.
jkswor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is an R/CF850A. 1/2 in rope/chain I thought it was horizontal as it spins horizontally and drops vertical. Information on site does not say either way
The 8 plait may not work. I’m not finished cleaning contacts yet to test it
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Good Windless CF850A Reply with quote

https://www.goodwindlass.com/wp-content/uploads/F850-Installation-Booklet.pdf
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkswor wrote:
. . . I thought it was horizontal as it spins horizontally and drops vertical. Information . . .

I believe the designation "vertical" or "horizontal" refers to the orientation of the motor shaft rather than the gypsy. Vertical windlasses are often preferred by those who want to save deck space, since the motor is mounted below the deck. A vertical windlass motor, therefore, or is also likely to be less exposed to the elements. On the other hand, mounting the windlass vertically shortens the "fall" available for the rode, which can impair how the rode drops into the locker and will effectively reduce the length of the rode that can be carried.

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that the vertical windlass has more issues with gripping the line and being able to keep it from feeding/slipping, is that there is more friction at the end of the chain gypsy, as the line has to made a 90* turn to go into the anchor locker. The horizontal windlass, has the rope coming directly off the gypsy into the locker (no 90* turn).

Although one would think the the motor below deck would be more protected, it is not encased and is subject from water off the rope/chain, and any water coming in thru the deck pipe. The above the deck, has the motor sealed inside a case, thus no spray, or water off the rode gets to it.

I did find several instances which documented that 8 plait does not grip well in this windlass. However, unless it is bunching up, thus stalling the motor, it should not blow the breaker if it is just not gripping the line.

Probably the safest thing to do if you want to keep the windlass, get the new line from Good (if the old anchor rode is suspect.). Or go to a windlass such as Lewmar 700. There are some who have had issues with the 8 plait braid with this windlass also. I have not had any problems personally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: