The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

c dory 22 composting head

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davil

City/Region: PKS
State or Province: NC
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: c dory 22 composting head Reply with quote

Hi
considering a C Dory 22 however the lack of a head as in the 25 is keeping my decision

I singlehand on my Cape Dory 30 sailboat and my needs are very spartan.

In my sailboat, replaced the traditional head for a Nature Head and am very satisfied.

From the owners of a 22 do you think a Nature Head could replace the portapotty?

I do not have use for the v berth and will be used as storage.

Could just hang a curtain
davil

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: NatureHead Reply with quote

dimensions

width 22"
hihg 21"
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be done--but only if you are not going to use the V Berth, or took out the Port bulkhead, You still have to have the venting..

Unless you were going to take some long trips, I don't think it would be worth it.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I single hand too, and have really considered that option, only not in the V-birth, I sleep there. I have considered putting it in the cabin, port side under that aft bench seat where the water tank is. I would loose some storage space, and have to move that water tank (15 gal I believe), but would gain considerable functionality of the 22 Cruiser.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

davil

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: composting head Reply with quote

thank you for your replies.

I cannot sleep in the v berth because of claustrophobia, in my sailboat sleep in the settee/main cabin. and use the v berth for storage.

When I replaced the standard head for the composting, the only difference noticed was the height (composting taller)

The vent is a problem to consider, however what I cannot visualize is the space with the dimensions posted.

From the pics on the web, looks like the "throne" could fit once the porta p is removed? and will be taller than the cushions surrounding.

And yes, do cruise extended distances/time, currently in Norfolk,l left home on the second and plan to continue till end of June, about 2 months.

Showers seems a little less problematic, I removed the hot water tank to gain space for two more batteries
exclusive use of sun showers.

Wish could see a 22 to measure the space for that toilet.
davil

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: composting head Reply with quote

thank you for your replies.

I cannot sleep in the v berth because of claustrophobia, in my sailboat sleep in the settee/main cabin. and use the v berth for storage.

When I replaced the standard head for the composting, the only difference noticed was the height (composting taller)

The vent is a problem to consider, however what I cannot visualize is the space with the dimensions posted.

From the pics on the web, looks like the "throne" could fit once the porta p is removed? and will be taller than the cushions surrounding.

And yes, do cruise extended distances/time, currently in Norfolk,l left home on the second and plan to continue till end of June, about 2 months.

Showers seems a little less problematic, I removed the hot water tank to gain space for two more batteries
exclusive use of sun showers.

Wish could see a 22 to measure the space for that toilet.
JT

City/Region: JUNEAU
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Lil Toot
Photos: Palomino
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to consider a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. There are seats that are made to fit. Peat moss, sawdust, etc. to cover. No #1 keeps the odor down. A vent could be added and/or store in cockpit. Line it with a plastic bag for easy disposal. Voila, basic composting head.
davil

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: head Reply with quote

thank you JT
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option... https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cuddy-the-best-portable-composting-toilet?gclid=CjwKCAjws8yUBhA1EiwAi_tpEcpwvyU0krk2rjIkjG43g2MnX2nyOGWVW_1dwACP-b8ptiNrnnhTsRoCDa0QAvD_BwE#/
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
" . . . I cannot sleep in the v berth because of claustrophobia, in my sailboat sleep in the settee/main cabin. and use the v berth for storage. . . ."

several years ago I slipped while launching and broke a couple ribs on my right side. (YES OUCH) I had been sleeping in the V-birth, head aft, and on my right side. No way I could do that --> get in turn around and then lay on the right side Disgust

SO, since I had to sleep, and was committed to the trip, it tried this. Go straight into the V, head close to anchor locker, and lay on left side. WOW, it was a whole new experience and what a view. I could see out into the cabin, out the windows, and it was easy to get in and get out. I have never gone back to sleeping with my head downhill and aft again.

It might be worth a try. BECAUSE, you have to sleep, and it easier than converting the table down every night, and it is no like sleeping in a culvert, MRI or under the bed.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT wrote:
You may want to consider a 5 gallon bucket with a lid. There are seats that are made to fit. Peat moss, sawdust, etc. to cover. No #1 keeps the odor down. A vent could be added and/or store in cockpit. Line it with a plastic bag for easy disposal. Voila, basic composting head.

I've used this method extensively when solo truck camping. Use a Gamma Seal lid on a 5 gallon bucket lined with several plastic bags for liners, add a bed of peat moss, and add a layer of peat moss after doing #2. No smells at all, last for a long time, and easy to tie a knot in the bag and dispose in any dumpster. Key is use ONLY for #2. My wife prefers the porta-potti and since she is with me most of the time in the boat, that is what we use. But if it was just me, I'd use the peat moss bucket method exclusively for sure.

robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Composting toilet Reply with quote

Knipet wrote:
JT wrote:

I've used this method extensively when solo truck camping. Use a Gamma Seal lid on a 5 gallon bucket lined with several plastic bags for liners, add a bed of peat moss, and add a layer of peat moss after doing #2. No smells at all, last for a long time, and easy to tie a knot in the bag and dispose in any dumpster. Key is use ONLY for #2. My wife prefers the porta-potti and since she is with me most of the time in the boat, that is what we use. But if it was just me, I'd use the peat moss bucket method exclusively for sure.

We Have used the 5-gallon bucket with toilet lid on our CD22 and truck camper for many years. Yes for the peat moss for sure. The female boaters have trouble getting the #1 into a separate container (I use a marked 1 liter Nalgene). We have found that “Smelleze”, which is often used in hospital urinals, largely takes care of this problem, absorbing the urine and locking it from the urea to ammonia change reaction, which creates most of the smells. You can buy it on Amazon. It is expensive, but you usually only need a little at a time.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter that video of the new composting head looks great. I hope they get it to market. We have a 20 gallon holding take on the 27 but it is a constant problem some times. Susan has been pushing for a composting head but I do not like any of the current designs. That product seems to address most of the problems.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Knipet"]
JT wrote:
Use a Gamma Seal lid on a 5 gallon bucket lined with several plastic bags for liners, add a bed of peat moss, and add a layer of peat moss after doing #2. No smells at all, last for a long time, and easy to tie a knot in the bag and dispose in any dumpster. Key is use ONLY for #2. My wife prefers the porta-potti and since she is with me most of the time in the boat, that is what we use. But if it was just me, I'd use the peat moss bucket method exclusively for sure.

I use a Gamma Seal on a 2 gallon bucket (because the cd 16 is tiny). They are a little harder to find. Instead of peat, I use Poo Powder. It can absorb a rather amazing amount of liquid. That said, I tend to use a discrete direct overboard system for #1.

I tested little composting trash bags and was surprised that they hold liquids without a problem for days, so no problem with my wife onboard, especially with Poo Powder. I always double bag just in case. Details in my photo album under Modifications - Enclosed Head.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: