View previous topic :: View next topic  
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Considering the purchase of a C-Dory? Reply with quote

Found this youtube video interesting for anyone considering the purchase of a C-Dory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4mWswcBPAY

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, Gary, you shocked me there for a bit. Thought you were considering moving up to a CD-25.

But. it is a useful YouTube. He does take a few liberties along the way so listen carefully.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

DayBreak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Thanks Harvey. The size of the 22/23 C-Dory works out well for us. No desire to move up.

I wish the author would have pointed out the benefits of having twins. He seemed to imply that having a single was the way to go. I don't want to turn this into a twin vs. single thread. Twins on a C-Dory is not only really cool but they are more maneuverable, you get better balance, better hole shot, redundancy and better resale value. Just want to be fair. Smile Gary.
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have watched some of Trip Smith’s other videos. He shoots from the hip mostly with what appears to be very little preplanning. (Based particularly on getting unintentionally grounded due to the tide going out, and lack of checking the weather forecasts and preparing appropriately.) Nevertheless, he does make some good points about the C-Dory.

Here is another, very good tour, of a 22 set up for cruising, by a couple with many nights and over 500 hours on their twin Honda 50’s. Also worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtnRy7z3Epg
C-DORY 22 BOAT TOUR - COMPLETE TOUR of our boat inside & out!

And here is an extension of their tour.

C-DORY QUESTION & ANSWER | PART 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4TNn76h9gY

C-Dory Question & Answer Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XWrW54mFrs

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say what you will about his style of videos. The thing about Trip Smith is that he is a relatively young person extoling the virtues of the C-Dory boat vs. a lot of the typical C-Dory owners. Face it, a high percentage of C-Dory owners are considered "seniors". Sorry, but that's just a fact. How many people at a C-Dory gathering are less than 50? How 'bout 60? This is not a sustainable business model. If Trip Smith can convince younger people that C-Dorys are great boats, cool, etc., then the company can continue to produce and support those boats. If I were the boat manufacturer, I'd be all for supporting people like Mr. Smith getting the word out on YouTube, Twitter, etc. All those sites that younger people frequent. If he is trying to show the strengths of these boats to a younger audience, then damn well make sure he is able to continue to do so.

As much as people deride internet "influencers", they are called "influencers" for a reason. (And not because they are easily influenced.)
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Trip Smith does a pretty good job, too.

He is enthusiastic and is getting his family involved, which is key for the future of any sport/hobby/activity. I agree that he is doing good things for the C-Dory brand. He has over 65,000 subscribers on YouTube, which is a ton of free advertising for C-Dory. If he keeps growing in subscriber numbers then that will only be a positive for C-Dory and help the company stay in business.

I think we can all agree that we want C-Dory to stay in business through the parent company, NMI.

He may be a little inexperienced, but we all were at one time. Heck, I am inexperienced in a number of areas still, but I keep trying to learn new things so I can gain experience.

One of the things that I enjoy about YouTube is that people can document what they do and include things that didn't go exactly to plan. That makes it more believable and thus, a teachable moment.

The other YouTube links that Harvey referenced are good, too. Gaye N Robert are informative and entertaining.

I've also enjoyed Floyd Stewart's YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL8ePFmcJV8

Winter is a great time to watch some of these YouTube channels as we wait for warmer weather to get back out on our great boats.

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
johnr

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Photos: Surf Scoter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Say what you will about his style of videos. The thing about Trip Smith is that he is a relatively young person extoling the virtues of the C-Dory boat vs. a lot of the typical C-Dory owners. Face it, a high percentage of C-Dory owners are considered "seniors". Sorry, but that's just a fact. How many people at a C-Dory gathering are less than 50? How 'bout 60? This is not a sustainable business model. If Trip Smith can convince younger people that C-Dorys are great boats, cool, etc., then the company can continue to produce and support those boats. If I were the boat manufacturer, I'd be all for supporting people like Mr. Smith getting the word out on YouTube, Twitter, etc. All those sites that younger people frequent. If he is trying to show the strengths of these boats to a younger audience, then damn well make sure he is able to continue to do so.

As much as people deride internet "influencers", they are called "influencers" for a reason. (And not because they are easily influenced.)

I have a lot of young friends, with small families, who greatly covet the C-Dory. The problem is that they cannot afford the C-Dory. It's not an entry level boat to most working class families.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at his latest video, if you have Facebook. Sad what a nearby lightning strike can do to our boats.

https://www.facebook.com/stories/102700165006388/UzpfSVNDOjM0OTE3OTUyMzg1MTIwMQ==
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is 50 the “old man” cutoff? I’m gettin’ real close! With two kids and a dog on a 22, things are mighty snug and trips very busy. This largely accounts for the lack of video recording, editing, and posting from those with young families (many of us also dont want video of our kids on the internet). We may not be well represented at gatherings or on the internet But theres a few of us out there running the cdory as a family adventure machine. It is expensive but still less expensive than almost every other safe boat that can get a family around safely for weeks at a time without tent camping.
DayBreak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Take a look at his latest video, if you have Facebook. Sad what a nearby lightning strike can do to our boats.

https://www.facebook.com/stories/102700165006388/UzpfSVNDOjM0OTE3OTUyMzg1MTIwMQ==

Wow! What a shock for Trip Smith. Hope boat insurance does a good job in restoring his vessel plus electronics. A good reminder to why it is a good idea to have boat insurance.
chipwagon

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Sam 'n Leo
Photos: Sam 'n Leo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was pretty shocking to see the damage lightning can do to a boat. The electrical damage seemed what I would expect but a hole blown in the transom was not. Feel for that fellow right about now--of all the bad things one could imagine happening to a boat, a lightning strike was not something I'd ever considered.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very impressive the lightning damage to the C Dory 22. I would be suspect of the outboard. It may start OK now, but with all of the other damage, there is a good likelihood that it will have problems down the line. Many insurance companies would write off the motor also, since the ground system was a path for the lightning surge.

Was this a direct strike, or a side lobe? It appears as if a direct strike, but where did it originate?

I had sold my Cal 46 and was in S. Florida buying a trawler. The new owner of the C 46 called and said that the battery charger was on full time, and there had been a lightning strike on the neighbor's boat about 75 feet away. In that case the lobe came thru the water, transited thru hulls, engine shaft, rudder shaft and took out the diodes in the alternator. The battery charger was supplying 50 amps DC to all of the ground system. The 24" x 24" prop was destroyed, rudder shaft (3" diameter thick wall SS tubing) and 2" prop shaft destroyed. That was conducted thru water.

In this C Dory strike is wet earth that conductive, thru rubber tires (carbon in the rubber tires), then to specifically the electrical system of the boat. The entire C Dory electrical system has been compromised. I doubt that we would know exactly what happened unless a photograph had been taken at the instance of the strike.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
bigbob

City/Region: Oak Harbor
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone take a screenshot of the lighting damage and post it here? I don't have facebook to see the picture.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have Face(plant) either but I think you can find it by searching YouTube fore "Trip Smith C-Dory Lightening strike". That yielded this link and his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO0VKeaAsUA

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Osprey48

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Gaye-N-Robert on this forum?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: