View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Battery Power Packs Reply with quote

We are looking at the Goal Zero Yeti 500x or the Ecoflow River Pro portable power packs for using in our boat and RV. Can these units be connected directly onto the terminals of the existing 12v batteries to add additional amp hours to the existing battery?

Thanks

Gene
croakz

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Jolly Blue
Photos: Jolly Blue
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gene,

Not sure how you'd do that without a battery charger. 12V DC ports would probably be to low and you'd probably need out ports to have power protection? I use an EcoFlow Delta Mini on my boat so I'm interested in what you find out.

- tom
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO you cannot connect the LiFePO4 directly to the 12 volt battery, The Li battery is a higher voltage than FLA or AGM batteries (13.4 at rest vs 12.7 volts. There could be a large inrush current, and either the BMS would shut it down, or there could be damage to both FLA and or the Li battery.

You use a battery to battery charger from the 12 volt start battery to charge the Li battery. There are several, and they have a much different profile from the FLA or AGM battery.

I built my system so I could either run on the 12.7 volt house batteries, or the 13.4 volt Li battery. I used a double pole double throw switch, (all off in the center position.). For example when charging the Li battery from outboard alternator, I would run the freezer off the house battery. Then full power from the B to B charger goes to charging the Li battery. Usually my day's run with the Honda 150 (about 40 amps available) would charge up the Li bank. I could charge it thru a mains power charger if necessary. The 120 volts could be from shore power, or a Honda generator.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those units, a Yeti 3000X, courtesy of SDG&E, our local power company. It's a battery, an inverter and a DC-DC converter packaged together, with a small external charger. Also has Bluetooth. Sells at Costco for $3500.

So, I got it because it's free and had a Li battery inside. Then I found out that the battery is 10.3 volts ( 3 cells at 3.6 VDC?), so it's not good fit for the boat. The 3000 model puts out 3000 WATT-hrs at 10.3 VDC And with the supplied charger, it takes 13 hrs to charge from the wall. The solar panels which come with it take 24 hours to recharge it. It will run the house refrigerator for about 22 hrs, which is a plus.

So, since I can't pull the battery out and use it, and the inverter is designed to operate with an input of 10.3 VDC and it takes a long time to charge, it's useless. It sits in the garage taking up space; anyone who wants it can stop by and pick it up, free. It's useless to me.

Boris
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked with the Ecoflow manufacturer and they said I could not connect their power pack directly into my 12v battery. Darn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: