City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory,

I've been using the Delorme link to follow your daily (sometimes even hourly) progress. It's like magic! I love watching where you go nearly minute by minute.

I'm particularly enjoying this leg of your journey since about 20 years ago I and 5 friends did a sea kayak 10 day trip in 3 kayaks almost identical to your route. We camped every night on beaches. We took the kayaks via ferry from Juneau to Hoonah, got on the water, went north around to Elfin Cove (we did not go into Dundas Bay like you did).....the currents half time were against us (tidal) and we had to work hard to get in our miles every day. We then circumnavigated Yakobi Island counterclockwise with a detour down to White Sulfur Hot Springs (a bit spooky out on the ocean!); then to Pelican up the Lisianski Straight where we got the ferry back to Juneau. You're bringing back a lot of memories!

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy, we both have same great memories in this area. Every where we go up here now, I’m enjoying the present & continual memories of the past trips with JoLee. We are now here in Pelican & will be spending the night at the dock & then headed for White Sulfur Hot Springs & Mirror Harbor tomarrow.

5-27-22 Day 7

We left the Lisianski Bohemia dock this morning & made the short 7 mile run to Pelican. Spent a short time checking out the town to see if the fuel dock & showers were open. We could get fuel between 4 & 8 pm at $6.48 a gallon & the showers are open. No store, restaurant or other facilities available. Bill, Jody & I made the 20 mile run up to the head of Lisianski Inlet & back, while Mike toured the town. No bears where we have seen many in the past at the head. Maybe the warm weather has them back from the shore. When back to Pelican we all fueled, showered & are now ready to to leave tomarrow morning to the open Gulf of Alaska waters & mirror harbor with White Sulfur Springs a mile walk from the bay. The fantastic weather is continuing & we hope to make the best of it for a couple weeks out in the Yacobi/Chichagof Wilderness. No internet out there so no more post until we reach Sitka. Our tracks can still be followed if interested here.

https://share.garmin.com/JuliusByers

28 miles today & 305 total

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, Thanks for sharing your trip here. What a neat trip, sorry Jolene is not able to be along. Interested in how the single handing is going for everyone, and if there are any particular challenges for them there? Do you all have auto pilot so you can get a bit of steering relief occasionally?

Also if carrying extra fuel, do you always transfer that when at a dock? If not, what are you using for interface between the external tank and the fuel fill port on the boat?

Thanks again for your taking us along.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, all of us do fine single handling the boats & yes, we do all have auto pilots. Bill, Jody & Mike don’t know this area, but they they are learning it & very resourceful & skilled in handling their boats.

I’m carrying 36 gal of extra fuel in 6, 6 gal containers. Motors & electronics are shut off when transferring fuel, which is done most of the time at a remote dock or at anchor. I have just stopped in route & transferred fuel using a funnel & gravity. All the others are carrying extra fuel too & have different methods to do so. Mike similar to me & Bill & Jody use a electric transfer pump & their spare fuel tanks are either 7.5 gal or 15 gal.

5-28-22 Day 8

Left Pelican at 6:30 am with the sun already shining brightly, though still a bit cool, so the diesel Wallas heater/cooker was running. Somewhat surprising to encounter fog, just as we started the intricate course though the shallow rocky area out to the open Gulf of Alaska. We bunched up pretty tight as we made our way to the Mirror Harbor entrance with the fog dissipating just when needed to make it through the kelp choked waters & the tight abundant rocky area into the dog leg entrance of East Mirror Harbor bay. Once anchored we all set out on the inflatables to explore the complex tidal bays & channels off the main two bays, finally ending up at the trail head to the White Sulfur Hot springs pools & cabin. The walk to the hot spring was just as beautiful as remembered & the recent very abundant bear sign kept us very alert. Following a relaxing soak in the hot water springs & some small talk with a family there on a fishing boat from Gustavus, we made our way back to the the inflatables. We had left them tied & floating, but the dropping tide water left them deposited high in the rocks, all at some crazy angles. Fortunately none were tipped over.

29 miles today. 344 total

5-29-22 Day 9
A leisurely wake up for all, then we got together & headed out of Mirror Harbor in the inflatable Kaboats. Had a a great time watching whales, some very close, but hard to get a photo, due to their quick risings & disappearing. Did some exploring around the islands & shoreline, which is fun to do in the calmer than usual waters, then headed back to the bigger boats to gear up for the water crossing, through Caution Pass to the Hot Springs. Fun ride over, dodging kelp, then another great soak in the hot water. Fog came in just as we started back, but not thick enough to not find our way. We did have nav apps on our iPhones just in case. Arrived back at the boats & decided to head out of Mirror Harbor for Goulding Harbor, which was through another outside unprotected water stretch with many rocky shallow areas & kelp beds. Just as we left Mirror Harbor the fog closed back in. Mike had gone out ahead & was waiting for us at the entrance. Bill & I had a good route to follow on the charts & Jody & Mike were to follow us. As we passed Mike, he lost us in the fog & then didn’t know quite where he was at, due to chart problems. I got somewhat upset with him for not paying close enough attention, while in these kind of conditions, but all went well after he changed to another app on his iPad & radio communications, which solved, where we were for him & where he needed to go. All here have good boating skills even in these conditions. Upon passing through Imperial Passage the fog lifted & we went past a a good sized trawler on our port. Shortly after, I received a radio call, asking where we were headed. They were big bear hunters & had been trying to take a large male in the Goulding Harbor area, where we were headed. They pleaded with us not to go in there & ruin their hunt. Being as they were not demanding it, I relented after first saying that’s where we were going & even though it’s messing up the planning for tomarrow & it being a favorite place of mine, as I too know it has good bear viewing, we are anchored in Baker Cove, a mile or so away instead.
Hopefully, before leaving this area completely, we will make it back to Goulding Harbor. The bear hunting season is over on May 31 & I’m glad it is. I understand the hunting process & desire, but personally, I’ve hunted & killed enough, even for food, unless we really needed it. Now, I just like to watch & enjoy the live animals.

14 miles today & a bunch more on the inflatables. 357 miles total.

5-30-22, day 10

The calm weather is continuing unfortunately it was again accompanied by fog this morning. Even with the fog, we decided to check out Dry Pass in the inflatable Kaboats. Jody’s motor was acting up & Maggie was shivering from the wet cold, so he decided to return to his boat. The rest of us continued on & were all glad we did. With the low tide & eel grass, we had to get out & pull the boats through some very shallow areas & clean grass from the props, but great to see the pass, which can dry completely, as it’s name indicates. In the very low water, every rock could be seen. We made it all the way out through the kelp to the open ocean & got some good photos & video. I’ve brought the C-Dory through this pass three different times, but always with some trepidation doing so. Now as long as the seas were 6 feet or less, I wouldn’t hesitate & feel relatively comfortable doing so. The capability of these small Kaboat inflatables are amazing in the right hands. The fog cleared completely on our way back to the boat into another beautiful blue sky day. Shortly after returning we started the slow speed 23 mile run to the old Chichagof gold mine site where 5000 people once lived & now is just ruins of big equipment & collapsed houses with only a few buildings remaining. On the way there stopped off at Black Bay, where in all the past cruises through here, have always seen bears. This time the only bear there was dead & being eaten on by many eagles. The area including the mine site is now all part of the official Yacobi/Chichagof islands wilderness. I’ve toured the mine ruins many times before by myself & with JoLee. Today it was fun doing so with Bill & Mike. Many big bear tracks around the ruins. The waters here at our anchorage tonight are mirror smooth & the setting sun is now shining on snow covered rocky peaks rising above the tree lined & sedge grass meadow’s. I feel very fortunate to be in such a place in good company on this cruise with me turning 74 tomarrow.

23 miles today with again many more in the inflatables. 380 total in the bigger boats.

5-31-2022 Day 11

Woke up at 5am with warm sunshine coming through the boat windows. In a couple hours I was wearing the same shirt, as I would at Lake Powell. Don’t know how long these extreme for here good weather is going to last, but we’ll happily take it for ever how long it last.

Todays plans were to head into Sister Lake by the narrow entrance at slack tide, which in the past has not been more than two hrs after nearby Elbow Passage turns slack. We arrived and hour early, because this tidal entrance has a wide time variation. It didn’t go slack until about 3 hrs 15 min after Elbow Passage, which was close to 1 1/2 hours later than normal, probably due to it being a very low tide. I ran, the channel a couple times after it slowed a bit, but still ebbing fast. Pretty exciting doing so. Then, later, Bill followed me up , but midway the towed Kaboat flipped & he had to tow it up through the fast moving water upside down. Fortunately the motor didn’t come off & he had it running a couple hrs later. Jody & Mike waited for a more prudent almost slack water before coming through. This is a very remote place & normally only skiffs & inflatables come here & they very rarely. The fast running currents through the three passages to get here, especially the narrow last one & the poorly charted waters keep most at bay. I’ve been here many times since 2007 & Brent & Dixie came here with JoLee & I in 2015. I don’t know of any others who have come in to anchor for the night & only one other who came in & then right back out. Also normally this has great bear viewing with us seeing several every time in, but not today, I think the warm dry weather has the bears back in the alders & trees. As I write this at 7:30 pm, the fog is drifting in & so now, I can’t see the distant big mountains. Maybe with with the fog, the bears will be out tomarrow.

21 miles today & 402 total.

6-1-22 Day 12

Other than the morning fog, the unbelievable sunny warm days continue. 78 degrees F today. After the fog cleared, we finished circling Sister Lake then dropped anchor in the west bay to wait for slack waters in the channel to Anna Lake. While waiting went to shore & started a fire. Sure didn’t need it for warmth, but it was paper garbage burning time. A great place to do so is in the tidal zone. Then a slow cruise out the narrow channels to the open to the Gulf Khaz Bay, followed by cruising the shores of Ford Arm & then into tonight’s anchorage at Falcon Arm, which runs west off the Slocum Arm of khaz Bay. With the bright sunshine, shining off the big snow topped mountains & the clear waters near shore easy to see into, it was a very relaxing beautiful day. The normal eagles, whales, seals & sea otters all to see, In abundance. No bears since our time in Dundas Bay & that’s a first time ever in the 15 years we’ve been cruising this areas outside waters. The warm beautiful weather is great for everything, but bear viewing. The last time, the bears, were this scares was in 2004, when we cruised out of Prince Rupert, BC in Canada north into South East Alaska. The whole month of June was similar to this now. We stopped then at the Pack Creek bear viewing area on Admiralty Island & even in that place they were not to be seen. Bill & Mike decided to Anchor for the night in Elf Cove, Ford Arm.& Jody & I here in Falcon Arm. We can still all communicate easily on VHF radio.

My depth finder seems to be down for the count. The problem is in the transducer or at least the wiring to it. It did work for one day. I’ve cruised this area so much that it is only a inconvenience & I’m doing fine just using my eyes & charts for depth & obstacles, though in anchorages like here tonight where the charts don’t match reality it would be nice to have. I will try to replace it in Sitka if available.

Well, after not seeing a bear for days, one shows up just off shore from where we are anchored & where Jody took his dog to shore earlier this evening.

33 miles today & 435 total.

6-2-2022 Day 13

Found myself in very shallow water & close to shore in the morning low tide, while waiting for Bill & Mike to show, so we could all head up to Slocum Arm together. Pulled the anchor rode in a little, so the boat wouldn’t ground. I do miss the depth sounder.

We saw another bear up the arm a ways at Double Cove & Jody & I left our C-Dorys drift in the calm water, while we went to shore in the inflatables to try & get a closer photo of the bear & check out the remains of an old cabin that was collapsing & the alders covering. Each time, I return here, more of it has become overtaken by the vegetation. Soon it will be gone from view, but at least not from my memory. The bear didn’t cooperate, so no photos.

We had planned on anchoring in Piehle Passage tonight & head to Sitka tomarrow, but thick fog had moved into the passage, so back to Falcon Arm to anchor tonight. Have routes made for navigating the passage in the fog tomarrow out to the open Gulf of Alaska waters again & shared with the others, but it still will be a challenge. After the passage, it’s 13 miles of open ocean to reach Salisbury Sound & the protected inner channels to Sitka. Our radar & good charts will get a work out tomorrow, at least the ocean is projected to be calm with only 10 knots wind & 5 to 6 feet combined swell & wind waves.

26 miles today & 461 total.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, all of us do fine single handling the boats & yes, we do all have auto pilots. Bill, Jody & Mike don’t know this area, but they they are learning it & very resourceful & skilled in handling their boats.

I’m carrying 36 gal of extra fuel in 6, 6 gal containers. Motors & electronics are shut off when transferring fuel, which is done most of the time at a remote dock or at anchor. I have just stopped in route & transferred fuel using a funnel & gravity. All the others are carrying extra fuel too & have different methods to do so. Mike similar to me & Bill & Jody use a electric transfer pump & their spare fuel tanks are either 7.5 gal or 15 gal.

5-28-22 Day 8

Left Pelican at 6:30 am with the sun already shining brightly, though still a bit cool, so the diesel Wallas heater/cooker was running. Somewhat surprising to encounter fog, just as we started the intricate course though the shallow rocky area out to the open Gulf of Alaska. We bunched up pretty tight as we made our way to the Mirror Harbor entrance with the fog dissipating just when needed to make it through the kelp choked waters & the tight abundant rocky area into the dog leg entrance of East Mirror Harbor bay. Once anchored we all set out on the inflatables to explore the complex tidal bays & channels off the main two bays, finally ending up at the trail head to the White Sulfur Hot springs pools & cabin. The walk to the hot spring was just as beautiful as remembered & the recent very abundant bear sign kept us very alert. Following a relaxing soak in the hot water springs & some small talk with a family there on a fishing boat from Gustavus, we made our way back to the the inflatables. We had left them tied & floating, but the dropping tide water left them deposited high in the rocks, all at some crazy angles. Fortunately none were tipped over.

29 miles today. 344 total

5-29-22 Day 9
A leisurely wake up for all, then we got together & headed out of Mirror Harbor in the inflatable Kaboats. Had a a great time watching whales, some very close, but hard to get a photo, due to their quick risings & disappearing. Did some exploring around the islands & shoreline, which is fun to do in the calmer than usual waters, then headed back to the bigger boats to gear up for the water crossing, through Caution Pass to the Hot Springs. Fun ride over, dodging kelp, then another great soak in the hot water. Fog came in just as we started back, but not thick enough to not find our way. We did have nav apps on our iPhones just in case. Arrived back at the boats & decided to head out of Mirror Harbor for Goulding Harbor, which was through another outside unprotected water stretch with many rocky shallow areas & kelp beds. Just as we left Mirror Harbor the fog closed back in. Mike had gone out ahead & was waiting for us at the entrance. Bill & I had a good route to follow on the charts & Jody & Mike were to follow us. As we passed Mike, he lost us in the fog & then didn’t know quite where he was at, due to chart problems. I got somewhat upset with him for not paying close enough attention, while in these kind of conditions, but all went well after he changed to another app on his iPad & radio communications, which solved, where we were for him & where he needed to go. All here have good boating skills even in these conditions. Upon passing through Imperial Passage the fog lifted & we went past a a good sized trawler on our port. Shortly after, I received a radio call, asking where we were headed. They were big bear hunters & had been trying to take a large male in the Goulding Harbor area, where we were headed. They pleaded with us not to go in there & ruin their hunt. Being as they were not demanding it, I relented after first saying that’s where we were going & even though it’s messing up the planning for tomarrow & it being a favorite place of mine, as I too know it has good bear viewing, we are anchored in Baker Cove, a mile or so away instead.
Hopefully, before leaving this area completely, we will make it back to Goulding Harbor. The bear hunting season is over on May 31 & I’m glad it is. I understand the hunting process & desire, but personally, I’ve hunted & killed enough, even for food, unless we really needed it. Now, I just like to watch & enjoy the live animals.

14 miles today & a bunch more on the inflatables. 357 miles total.

5-30-22, day 10

The calm weather is continuing unfortunately it was again accompanied by fog this morning. Even with the fog, we decided to check out Dry Pass in the inflatable Kaboats. Jody’s motor was acting up & Maggie was shivering from the wet cold, so he decided to return to his boat. The rest of us continued on & were all glad we did. With the low tide & eel grass, we had to get out & pull the boats through some very shallow areas & clean grass from the props, but great to see the pass, which can dry completely, as it’s name indicates. In the very low water, every rock could be seen. We made it all the way out through the kelp to the open ocean & got some good photos & video. I’ve brought the C-Dory through this pass three different times, but always with some trepidation doing so. Now as long as the seas were 6 feet or less, I wouldn’t hesitate & feel relatively comfortable doing so. The capability of these small Kaboat inflatables are amazing in the right hands. The fog cleared completely on our way back to the boat into another beautiful blue sky day. Shortly after returning we started the slow speed 23 mile run to the old Chichagof gold mine site where 5000 people once lived & now is just ruins of big equipment & collapsed houses with only a few buildings remaining. On the way there stopped off at Black Bay, where in all the past cruises through here, have always seen bears. This time the only bear there was dead & being eaten on by many eagles. The area including the mine site is now all part of the official Yacobi/Chichagof islands wilderness. I’ve toured the mine ruins many times before by myself & with JoLee. Today it was fun doing so with Bill & Mike. Many big bear tracks around the ruins. The waters here at our anchorage tonight are mirror smooth & the setting sun is now shining on snow covered rocky peaks rising above the tree lined & sedge grass meadow’s. I feel very fortunate to be in such a place in good company on this cruise with me turning 74 tomarrow.

23 miles today with again many more in the inflatables. 380 total in the bigger boats.

5-31-2022 Day 11

Woke up at 5am with warm sunshine coming through the boat windows. In a couple hours I was wearing the same shirt, as I would at Lake Powell. Don’t know how long these extreme for here good weather is going to last, but we’ll happily take it for ever how long it last.

Todays plans were to head into Sister Lake by the narrow entrance at slack tide, which in the past has not been more than two hrs after nearby Elbow Passage turns slack. We arrived and hour early, because this tidal entrance has a wide time variation. It didn’t go slack until about 3 hrs 15 min after Elbow Passage, which was close to 1 1/2 hours later than normal, probably due to it being a very low tide. I ran, the channel a couple times after it slowed a bit, but still ebbing fast. Pretty exciting doing so. Then, later, Bill followed me up , but midway the towed Kaboat flipped & he had to tow it up through the fast moving water upside down. Fortunately the motor didn’t come off & he had it running a couple hrs later. Jody & Mike waited for a more prudent almost slack water before coming through. This is a very remote place & normally only skiffs & inflatables come here & they very rarely. The fast running currents through the three passages to get here, especially the narrow last one & the poorly charted waters keep most at bay. I’ve been here many times since 2007 & Brent & Dixie came here with JoLee & I in 2015. I don’t know of any others who have come in to anchor for the night & only one other who came in & then right back out. Also normally this has great bear viewing with us seeing several every time in, but not today, I think the warm dry weather has the bears back in the alders & trees. As I write this at 7:30 pm, the fog is drifting in & so now, I can’t see the distant big mountains. Maybe with with the fog, the bears will be out tomarrow.

21 miles today & 402 total.

6-1-22 Day 12

Other than the morning fog, the unbelievable sunny warm days continue. 78 degrees F today. After the fog cleared, we finished circling Sister Lake then dropped anchor in the west bay to wait for slack waters in the channel to Anna Lake. While waiting went to shore & started a fire. Sure didn’t need it for warmth, but it was paper garbage burning time. A great place to do so is in the tidal zone. Then a slow cruise out the narrow channels to the open to the Gulf Khaz Bay, followed by cruising the shores of Ford Arm & then into tonight’s anchorage at Falcon Arm, which runs west off the Slocum Arm of khaz Bay. With the bright sunshine, shining off the big snow topped mountains & the clear waters near shore easy to see into, it was a very relaxing beautiful day. The normal eagles, whales, seals & sea otters all to see, In abundance. No bears since our time in Dundas Bay & that’s a first time ever in the 15 years we’ve been cruising this areas outside waters. The warm beautiful weather is great for everything, but bear viewing. The last time, the bears, were this scares was in 2004, when we cruised out of Prince Rupert, BC in Canada north into South East Alaska. The whole month of June was similar to this now. We stopped then at the Pack Creek bear viewing area on Admiralty Island & even in that place they were not to be seen. Bill & Mike decided to Anchor for the night in Elf Cove, Ford Arm.& Jody & I here in Falcon Arm. We can still all communicate easily on VHF radio.

My depth finder seems to be down for the count. The problem is in the transducer or at least the wiring to it. It did work for one day. I’ve cruised this area so much that it is only a inconvenience & I’m doing fine just using my eyes & charts for depth & obstacles, though in anchorages like here tonight where the charts don’t match reality it would be nice to have. I will try to replace it in Sitka if available.

Well, after not seeing a bear for days, one shows up just off shore from where we are anchored & where Jody took his dog to shore earlier this evening.

33 miles today & 435 total.

6-2-2022 Day 13

Found myself in very shallow water & close to shore in the morning low tide, while waiting for Bill & Mike to show, so we could all head up to Slocum Arm together. Pulled the anchor rode in a little, so the boat wouldn’t ground. I do miss the depth sounder.

We saw another bear up the arm a ways at Double Cove & Jody & I left our C-Dorys drift in the calm water, while we went to shore in the inflatables to try & get a closer photo of the bear & check out the remains of an old cabin that was collapsing & the alders covering. Each time, I return here, more of it has become overtaken by the vegetation. Soon it will be gone from view, but at least not from my memory. The bear didn’t cooperate, so no photos.

We had planned on anchoring in Piehle Passage tonight & head to Sitka tomarrow, but thick fog had moved into the passage, so back to Falcon Arm to anchor tonight. Have routes made for navigating the passage in the fog tomarrow out to the open Gulf of Alaska waters again & shared with the others, but it still will be a challenge. After the passage, it’s 13 miles of open ocean to reach Salisbury Sound & the protected inner channels to Sitka. Our radar & good charts will get a work out tomorrow, at least the ocean is projected to be calm with only 10 knots wind & 5 to 6 feet combined swell & wind waves.

26 miles today & 461 total.
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-3-2022 Day 14

Surprisingly in the morning, the fog was gone from rocky Piehle Passage, so instead of a somewhat whitenuckle ride it was just beautiful. The area has many strange rock formations with trees on most & lots of kelp beds marking the more shallow areas & waves breaking just out side the passage on the barrier rocks. When we reached the open ocean Jody & I took off on plane, running about 15 mph, while Bill & Mike stayed slow. They are planning on a two day trip to Sitka & Jody & I arrived early in the afternoon. There is internet there & I hoped to talk to JoLee on our anniversary & see if a replacement for the depth sounder was available. The Marina there is huge & where the Harbor master assigned us at the docks it is a 3/4 mile walk to just reach land & return. That & the separate trips to stores ect made for many miles of walking. My feet are blistered tonight. Also extremely hot for Sitka at near 80 degrees.
50 miles today & 511 miles total.

6-4-2022, Day 15

Early in the morning, I purchased a new Garmin combo sonar/chart plotter & went to work on the replacement. Midway through, when I replaced the 2 amp fuse with a 5 amp fuse, I found the power source fuse block, bad for the old sounder. I had checked voltage & it showed 12 volts, but not enough amps coming through to actually run the sonar. So a good thing-bad thing. Good, reinstalled the old sounder & it’s now working, bad, the new one can’t be returned, so will install the upgrade, when I’m at home & much less complicated, than on the water. It’s going to be great knowing depths under the boat again.

Bill & Mike arrived mid morning in a light rain with the wind up, as a small weather front is passing through. I much prefer the cooler damp weather of today over yesterday’s heat. We will be here a couple more days.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the most descriptive blog about the trip/anchorages. Amazing that you are not seeing the bears. It is still early in the salmon run season, so there would be less fattening up with the fish, and as you say, more likely to be eating berries this time of year in the shaded areas. The year we went outside, there were many bears, and we had some very close encounters--but the bears were all fishing for the salmon and not at all interested in us. It was later in the season. Even with the Cal 46, we had to wait several times to get good conditions for runs out of the maze, and into the open waters.

Which pass was Jody's video of your running? Your experience with the depth sounder is a good reminder for all, to check the voltages, and look for areas of corrosion/increased resistance and voltage drop.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoying from NE corners of Puget Sound a bit south. Thank you.
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

I am enjoying your posts and looking forward to using your very detailed descriptions when the day comes for us to travel these waters. Too bad about your depth sounder. A few years ago when we were cruising in Desolation Sound, my sounder was acting up, so I bought a simple Garmin Striker 4 for less than $200 to act as a second/backup sounder. This year I installed my new Raymarine Axiom+ system and left the Garmin in place as the second/backup sounder. I like to know how much water in under me, especially when it gets shallow.

Safe Journeys

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I remember it was you,who first told me about the bears to be seen in this area in Black Bay, when I was planning our first trip there in late 2006. Here is the location of the pass into Sister lake.

The pass I was running in Jody’s video was the last pass of the three in Sister Lake.

Patrick, good to see you back on the C-Brats & glad to see you are following our trip.

Peter & Judy, good to see you are following our trip too & yes, it should make it easier for you, when you make it this way. The Garmin Striker 4 is what I wanted & before running out they were $180, but they wouldn’t have them in for another week. Had to settle for a Garmin 44 combo, $370 with taxes.

Jay
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This track looks (abstractly at least) as though someone was under the "alcofluence of incohol" (just kidding of course!)

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, no under the influence at least of alcohol at the time, but it is a strange track. Had the in reach in my pocket when out on the Kaboat & walking to store from Kaboat.

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We’er headed out of Sitka in a few minutes to Baby Bear Cove tonight & on from there & will be out of touch for awhile

Jay
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed a couple of days dealing with "trailer boating life" ( poorly installed new brakes but I think it is all fixed now. Really enjoy following. I can't imagine running without knowing the distance to the bottom (depth) so glad you got that taken care of.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Hunkydory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6-6-2022,Day 17

With three nights at the dock in Sitka, we were all ready to get back to the wilderness areas. Finally some more normal Alaska weather & not minding at all the 1/2 inch of off & on rain with the low clouds & fog hanging on the lower mountain slopes & except for the rain good visibility. Slow speed, 5 to 6 mph, the entire 40 miles to Baby Bear Bay. Coming through Sergius Narrows, canoe pass, we picked up another 6 mpg for a short while in the turbulent water. Baby Bear Bay has many good anchorages spread among the small islands & inlets through the Main Bay. In the offset little inlet, I’m anchored, a beautiful chocolate colored bear made a short appearance & then gone to quick for a photo. We made a tour of all these areas in the inflatables & though very scenic with the sun occasionally peaking through the mist & clouds, no more bears to be seen.

With the very slow speed, I averaged better than 8 mpg, running on one motor today, which really helps extend our range & cut some of the cost off the very expensive fuel. We all have the fuel at these speeds for a range of at least 450 miles or more between fuel stops. Bill has the least in his Ranger Tug 23 at 450 miles & me maybe the most at near 550 miles. We try to go with the added help of the tidal currents when possible & keep off plane unless needed. Even with the two long runs totaling about 65 miles on plane, I’m still so far averaging for the trip 6.2 mpg. Not bad for a boat that has all the comforts of a mini home.

40 miles today & 551 miles total.

6-7-2022 Day 18

I’m presently sitting by the fire in front of the Moser Island forest service cabin located on the south arm of Hoonah Sound, writing up the events of yesterday. This is a unique beautiful place & a jewel of jewels in this area.
The sky is cloudy with excellent visibility to see about. I’m surrounded by huge trees, that I can look between on three sides of this point, where the cabin is located to see different bays & the boats anchored in the closest one.

We left the Baby Bear anchorage with the sun shining again & only confronted a short period of wind & chop as we made the 23 miles into Hoonah Sound. Only saw one bear along the way, but the great scenery was continual. Upon arriving at this beautiful spot & anchoring the boats close we headed up to the cabin, started a fire & spent hours enjoying it & the view around. Mike & I stayed past midnight by the fire.

23 miles today & 574 Total

6-8-2022 Day Day 19

Mike & Bill left early morning on their inflatables to see a waterfall up the north arm of Hoonah Sound by packing them across the gravel spit that separates the arms. Jody I went to shore & restarted the fire & plan to sit & relax by it all day. We did see one bear at the head of a bay across from us.

I’ve been studying the weather forecast & plan to leave for Appleton Bay 25 miles away very early in the morning to avoid the wind & chop on the bow. On Chatham Strait the wind is supposed to switch from south to north, so after a nap & when it does will head out down Chatham Strait for Takatz Bay. Plans got changed. Couple came in from Sitka who have the cabin rented, so we had to leave. They did give us a favorable report for conditions to Appleton Cove, so we are headed there now. Wonderful time spent & hate to leave. Their favorable report didn’t turn out favorable. Much of the way into 20 + mph winds & the accompanying chop & pounding, only prevented by slowing to 2 mph at times. The wind is still blowing hard at the anchorage tonight, so the anchors are hopefully all well set. The setting sun is shinning through a partly cloudy sky making for a visibly beautiful evening. To get the ache out of the old bones, I just might have to have a double shot of Captain Morgan tonight.

26 miles today 600 total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: