View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: SE Alaska group cruise 2022 Reply with quote

For the 20th summer cruise of our CD22, HunkDory, I will have the company of three other boats, where we plan to spend between two & three months seeing the areas JoLee & I have enjoyed the most on our previous 8 extended cruises covering over 12,000 miles in SE Alaska. The majority of this cruise will be in the more remote wilderness areas.

Included in this group are Jody Kidd & his CD22 Voyager, Mike Moser & his CD22 Little Joe & Bill Roche & his 23 foot Ranger Tug, Mystery Girl. We will tow our boats to Skagway & start the cruise from there. Mike, who is from Milwaukee has already left & his making his way to Skagway solo. Bill has left South Carolina & will be arriving at our house tomarrow. Sunday the 15 of May, Bill & I will leave Cokeville Wyoming & meet Jody who lives in Centerville, Utah in Idaho, where we plan to travel together up to Eureka, Montana to cross the border, then the Canadian Icefield Parkway, Cassier Highway & finally the Alaska Highway to Skagway. JoLee is for the first time not feeling up to such an extended trip, so it will be us 4 guys all boating solo. This has been in the planning for several years & we are very excited to be finally on our way.

Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is quite the trip you have planned and we all will be following along on your adventures! Hope you are able to post reports along the way!

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have a fabulous adventure planned and I wish you well and I wish we were tagging along with you. Maybe next time. We are off to Kitimat, Prince Rupert and Khutzeymateen Grizzly Bear Sanctuary for the month of June. We have a number of Backpacking trips and kayaking trips planned to try and makeup in part for the last two years of restrictions. Our offer still stands for you to stop off at the ranch, coming or going, if we are around . If not we hope to travel south to the desert again this fall and may visit you enroute if that is OK.

Safe travels, Keep your wheels on the ground and your keel facing the centre of the earth.

We look forward to reading about your adventures.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim, we do plan on sharing the adventure as time & conditions allow.

Peter & Judy, we visited the Khutzeymateen Grizzly preserve in June of 2004 at the start of our cruise from Prince Rupert to SE Alaska. You will certainly enjoy that area & the rest of your summer plans sure sound good too.

Thanks again for inviting us to see the ranch. I know we would enjoy the stop if it works out. Of course your welcome to stop by here. Just give us a heads up to see if we will be home.

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is our road trip route from Wyoming to Alaska with each color representing a different day to travel & generalized water routes for the summer cruise

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, we will be watching for your periodic reports! We have cruised a bit with Jody Kidd in past years, and enjoyed his company!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, glad to see this is working out for you guys. I wish I was along. I had a fabulous time when I did the Inside Passage a few years ago. Someday I'd like to do it again, if I can get Rosanne to go with me. I hope you guys do get a chance to stop by Peter and Judy's. They were a great host to me and Bill & Becky from Blue Days, when we made our way up to Prince Rupert where we launched. Quite interesting seeing the Buffalo Ranch! Safe travels! Colby
Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, Just a heads up on your route through the Canadian Rockies. The Trans Canada Highway between Golden and Lake Louise is closed for construction until about May 20. So you will be diverted to Highway 93 at Radium to Castle Junction. I drove this just a couple of weeks ago and it was very busy with lots of semi's that are normally on the TCH #1. The first stretch from Radium is the worst, so take what opportunities you have to pull aside to let the big rigs pass. Safe Travels.
Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you fill up with fuel in Jasper as prices are much lower in Alberta than in BC.
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay. Good travels. Be sure to check in. While we are currently boatless, Blue Moon sold yesterday, we are still here at the cove. It will be good to see you , but also know that we have tools, some shop space and sheltered anchorage, and of course the hot tub. Let me know if you need anything or a mail base etc.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, looking at your itinerary, I would imagine that today or yesterday you crossed into Canada with vessels in tow. Wish for you safe travel.
ATPNW

City/Region: Covington
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Fellowship
Photos: Fellowship
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a cool trip, looking forward to your postings
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all made it to Skagway trouble free. Lots of animals on the way up. Much colder this year & lots of snow where there was none on our last trip here in 2018 with JoLee. A camp attendant at the Kinaskan Provincial Park where we stayed on the Cassiar Highway said this spring is the coldest one in 28 years.

We arrived here at 9:15 this morning & we spent a long day getting ready for tomarrows 90 mile slow run to Swanson Harbor, which is at the junction of Chatham & Icy Strait.

Thanks all for the the well wishes & Steve always wonderful to know we have you to back us up if needed. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Jay
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-21-22. Day 1

We left Skagway at 5 am with blue skies & calm waters. Lots of snow still on the mountains as this has been a very cold & wet SE Alaska winter & spring. Lucky for us to have it turn exceptionally warm just just as we arrived. Cool morning turned into a warm no heater day as we made our way down a very unusual smooth water Lynn Canal, which is known for just the opposite.

My Depth gauge sonar wouldn’t work, so I left the group for a high speed run to Auke Bay near Juneau. There long time friend & former C-Dory owner Doc Steve, came to my aid as he has many times in the past. He picked me up at the Marina & took me to a Marine store, but no luck in having what I needed, so will do without to Sitka. I have been before in the waters, many times, where we intend to go, so hopefully I can safely do it without the depth gauge.

I met up with Jody, Bill & Mike again just before arriving at our night spot at Swanson Harbor, which is at the conjunction of Icy Strait & The Lynn Canal. Jody & I are tied to the dock here & Mike & Bill are anchored nearby.
117 miles today.

If you want to follow our tracks here is the link.
https://share.delorme.com/JuliusByers
Hunkydory

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-22-22, Day 2

Left Swanson Harber at 7 AM for another smooth water run. This time across Icy Strait to Hoonah. Followed a cruise liner then passed it while it was docking at Hoonah. Jody stopped for fuel I the grocery store before heading up Port Fredrick. Stopped 13 miles up at the forest service dock, unloaded the rubber inflatables & then took them up the narrow entrance to a Salt water Chuck, passing on the way the so called Browns Town, from the tv series Bushman Alaska. No bears where JoLee & I had seen 10 in 2018 & many in the years before that, but did see several bears on the way to the dock. No whales where n past years there were many. Next stopped at the 8 bite forest service dock near the head of Port Fredrick,while Jody worked on his Wallas diesel heater, Mike & I walked to the neat rentable forest service cabin. Last time when JoLee & I walked to the cabin the bear poop was so thick on the trail you could hardly avoid stepping in it & you could see where they were digging up skunk cabbage very recently. This time very little bear sign & it was old. At the cabin, we read the log & so know now why the bears were not about. A group of hunters had been there for a week & just left before we arrived. Jody with his ingenuity had his Wallas heater repaired by the time Mike & I returned.
Anchored for the night at the head of Port Fredrick.
41 miles today.

5-23-22 Day 3

Woke up to a drizzling rain, which is more the norm than the past two sunny days. Explored the rest of Port Fredrick seeing now whales & bears. We needed to fuel before leaving to Dundas Bay in the morning, so even withe the now wind blowing waves against the dock I made a vain attempt to get fuel. Seeing the waves were throwing the boat against the dock enough that damage was going to occur, I hurriedly tried to power off from the dock & wrapped a towing line for the dingy in the prop, then shut off the other motor to prevent it tangling. With the boat headed to the rocks I tried to start it but it died, so thought it’s prop was tangled up too. Jody started heading toward me for a tow, while I raised the motors to see how bad the lines were wrapped in the prop. Found it was actually only one prop wrapped up, but the line was also around the other lower unit, didn’t know how much time, when the motor was started before it too would be wrapped. By this time the boat was only 10 or 15 feet from the rocks. Fortunately the other motors prop didn’t end up getting wrapped up, so alls well that ends well. The only damage being my iPad screen being partially shattered, when it was thrown to the floor & the cooking pot landed on top of it. After dropping off all the dingys at the town dock, we, one by one backed into the opposite side of the fuel dock, which was a little less bumpy, but with very little room to maneuver in the wind & waves with the rocky shoreline very close to the backside of the dock. Much skillful boat handling by the group got us all fueled & ready to leave the Hoonah Marina in the morning.

5-24-22 Day 4

We left the Hoonah Marina at 7 am to find Icy Straits to be flat calm with cloudy, but rain free skies. Several bears on the shoreline with whales plentiful, though mostly in the distance, the whole 50 miles to Dundas Bay. There we anchored at the very head of the West Arm in a beautiful spot. Big rocks sticking up from a white shell covered beach with huge snow covered mountains on three sides & the other the turquoise colored waters of the bay arm. There we went to shore & walked among & climbed on some of the rock as big as houses. Not there long before a black bear showed up pretty close.

Dundas Bay is a unrestricted part of Glacier Bay National Park.

Tonight seeing more bears on shore & one close to Jody, when he took his dog, Maggie there.

57 miles today & 242 total.

5-25-22 Day 5

We woke up to & it continued to be another beautiful blue sky calm water day. A bit chilly in the morning with 32 degrees. We had two bears by the anchorage when went to sleep & both still there in the morning. Jody has is dog barking when taking her to shore & that puts the bears away for awhile.

Today we moved to a temporary anchorage at the start of the Dundas Bay west arm & went for a 15 mile ride around the bay including a short run up the glacier river & then turning around when the props started clicking on the rocks. This river is very short as it starts flowing just out of our sight from the Brady Glacier. On the skyline to the north directly above our course to the river rises the 15,000 plus foot mountains of the Fairweather range & their snow covered shiny peaks. Within a quarter mile of leaving the boats in the inflatables, a Grizzly stood up & checked us out. It didn’t seem to like what it saw as it quickly disappeared in the alders before we could get a photo. During the day we saw several moose with two of them swimming the channel directly in front of us. We did get close photos of one of them.

On these Alaska cruises it seems just when you think it couldn’t get any better it invariably does. Of course with generally a few kinks along the way.

After the inflatable boat ride, we moved to a good secure anchorage closer to the mouth of Dundas Bay in preparation for leaving here to Elfin Cove tomarrow morning.

Only 8 miles in the big boats today & 250 total.

5-26-22 Day 6

The blue sky weather continues. We left our anchorage at 6:30 am for crossing the Inian Islands & passages to Elfin Cove. Saw Orcas crossing north Inian passage & a big male swam right under the boat. The whole area, which can have extreme tidal flows up to 12 mph was unbelievable calm, the most calm of any of our many trips through. We stopped at Elfin Cove & the Covid affects are still lingering in this small isolated town. No showers & the small store only opened for a couple hrs, 3 days a week. We were going to get fuel, but the fuel dock is only opened between 4 & 6 pm. We decided not to wait & made way another 16 miles to the forest service dock & shelter cabin on Lisianski Strait with plans of checking for fuel in Pelican tomarrow. Over the years, Jo-Lee & I have stayed in this beautiful area most of which was at this wilderness dock waiting out the weather to head out into the open Gulf of Alaska. One time it was two weeks with seas staying on the outside between 14 & 24 feet. On the wilderness dock, we got out the camp chairs & sat out on the the dock having a good gab session while eating dinner. Stayed out until the sun started dipping behind the rugged snow covered peaks, then we all withdrew to the warmth of our individual boats.

37 miles today & 287 total.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: