View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKFisher

City/Region: Venice
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NELLIE GRACE
Photos: AKFisher
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Stern Light during night navigation Reply with quote

I noticed that my anchor light does not light up when my red and green lights are on. It does work when I flip the switch up but not in the down position. Does anyone else have this issue? I have a 22 cruiser.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stern Light during night navigation Reply with quote

AKFisher wrote:
I noticed that my anchor light does not light up when my red and green lights are on. It does work when I flip the switch up but not in the down position. Does anyone else have this issue? I have a 22 cruiser.

Some boats are wired so that when the nav lights are on, the anchor light is also on. There should be a separate switch (or switch position) that just turns on the anchor light.

My boat has separate switches for the anchor light and the nav lights. Additionally, the anchor light can be switched on manually or set for auto operation using a light sensor.

In your case, if the up position is just the anchor light and it works, and the down position is supposed to be nav+anchor lights, then there is probably a jumper to the other side of the switch for the anchor light that is off.
AKFisher

City/Region: Venice
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: NELLIE GRACE
Photos: AKFisher
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol, I will have to check the switch again. Both the nav lights and anchor light is on the same switch.
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
there is probably a jumper to the other side of the switch for the anchor light that is off.

The "jumper" will likely be a diode that has become disconnected or has failed. The diode is there to "jump" power to the other circuit when both nav and anchor lights are supposed to be on when the switch is in one position. In the other switch position, the diode will block power to the other circuit.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly the diode could be the problem. The anchor light gets power with both positions of the switch. The nav lights are excluded by the diode when in the "anchor light". There should not be a red and green navigation lights only circuit.

I would think if the diode failed, the white light would be on in both positions, and lack of the red and green???

Diagnosis involves getting a look at the switch from the back. Using a digital volt meter and measure voltage when the switch is in both positions. There should be 12V to white light in both positions, and power to the red and green only in the "Navigation" mode.

Some digital volt meters have diode testers also.
On the Fluke multimeter web site is a tutorial on testing diodes with a standard voltmeter.

Let us know what. you find--.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Certainly the diode could be the problem. The anchor light gets power with both positions of the switch. The nav lights are excluded by the diode when in the "anchor light". There should not be a red and green navigation lights only circuit.

I would think if the diode failed, the white light would be on in both positions, and lack of the red and green???

Diagnosis involves getting a look at the switch from the back. Using a digital volt meter and measure voltage when the switch is in both positions. There should be 12V to white light in both positions, and power to the red and green only in the "Navigation" mode.

Some digital volt meters have diode testers also.
On the Fluke multimeter web site is a tutorial on testing diodes with a standard voltmeter.

Let us know what. you find--.

DPDT switch would eliminate the need for a diode. It would just be a wire.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DPDT switch would eliminate the need for a diode. It would just be a wire.

Absolutely. This is the reason to take a look and use the volt meter. Two of my C Dory's had diodes and three have not diodes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: