The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Need carb help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surveyor1

City/Region: Friday Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Jett
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Need carb help Reply with quote

So I got to my boat after 6 mo. Started it and discovered leaks at all 4 carbs.
There is a silver disc about 3/4” dia. above the bowl that appears to be sealed except for a small opening which is where the gas comes from. I scratched my head for a day and the top three leaks miraculously fixed themselves. I’m guessing the floats were stuck and broke themselves free. The fourth (bottom) carb continues to leak. I’ve tried tapping and putting WD40 into it to no avail. My next step is to put some carb cleaner into the bowl.
Any ideas?
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surveyor1,
The answer is straight forward. The float bowel valves are stuck and this is typically the result of fuel turning to varnish, over a long period of time, because of not run the outboard and the engine was not drained of fuel, prior to layup.
If you feel confident working on the carbs, feel free to call and I can walk you through the repair.
757-477-1453

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Ethanol gasoline vs. carbureted outboard motors: Reply with quote

Surveyor, There have been heaps of threads posted on this website over the years regarding damage ethanol gasoline has done to carbureted outboard motors. I suggest you go to the index and become familiar with the matter before you begin disassembling your engine.
Surveyor1

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.
I had a “storage” dose of Honda fuel stabilizer in the tank when I “shuterdown”. If varnishing was/is the issue, the product is defective.
I just filled the bowl with carb cleaner and I’m gonna let it stew overnight.
If that doesn’t work, I’ll end up calling a mechanic and won’t see my boat again til August and I’ll miss the Friday Harbor thing.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always drained the carbs, unless I am using the boat within a few weeks. (Stabilizers will not prevent this.)

Even draining the bowls (there is a small screw at the bottom of the bowl--probably where. your are squirting the carb cleaner in) where you drain it.

I would continue to let that last one soak, and tap it a few times with a screw driver handle. Repeat until the float valve is unstuck.

There may be some varnish in the jets also. If you are lucky they will clear as you run fresh fuel thru them.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this happen several times. They have always come free and worked well. It's not the fuel stabilizer that is the problem, but dissimilar metals inside your carbs reacting with each other over time at said temperature. Toss in a bit of dirt in the fuel....which everyone has....and there you go - chemistry project trying to stick everything together. Draining them does help a lot! Be careful with starting them until those floats are free as they are a real fire hazard.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry. I have to say this is not about ethanol fuel, which should be illegal for a host of reasons but this is not one of them. All fuels except aviation gas goes bad over a few month if not kept properly . I was taught as a young man, mostly with a stick, that on all carbed motors that you are not going to use with in a day to drain the gas from the carbs. Thats just how gas is. With fuel injection you do not have the same problems as the fuel is in an air tight system once it hits the motors. I just started the 225 honda after 7 month and it turned right over and ran just fine. Boats , bikes, lawnmowers, chain saws, leaf blower etc etc.. need to have the fuel drained after each use. Its laziness not the ethanol bogyman.
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Need carb help... Reply with quote

Thomas,
I respectfully disagree with your statements about this author's carburetor problems. As I have suggested to "Surveyor", I also suggest that you do the same. And when you finish reading all the archived posts, why please return to this thread and share with others what you have learned.
Surveyor1

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, thanks for the responses.
After some researching and soul searching I’ve decided this job is above my pay grade. I’ll be looking for recommendations for a carb guy in the Seattle/Bellingham area.
Im gonna fix it and sell it (the motor). Im getting a quote today for a new 100hp Honda. Can’t wait to see those numbers.
Looks like I’ll miss the Friday Harbor thing unless I limp there on my kicker. It’s actually only 10 miles away.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry i did read what most people think and why the fasley blame the ethanol bogeyman for thier own bad habits. Ethanol should not exist. It just a bad product invented mearly as a tool to buy off farmers and others in the midwest( how any thing east of Nevada considered WEST is beyond me) for votes and money, but that does not mean its to blame for a person's bad habit of leaving fuel in a carb for extended periods of time..... Annandale if it is, its not, to blame the only way to prevent the damage it my cause is to NOT leave it in your carbs. Ethanol does cause a lot of problem for no reward ( eating seals and lines, less fuel economy and there fore more pollution) but it does not relive you of the personal responsibility of caring for your equipment. Never leave gas of any time , except aviation fuel, in a carb. I hope you have learned something , but if not? Just don't care
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use whatever fuel is cheapest from the nearest gas station in my lawnmower. I do not do anything to it and when the season is done, just put the mower away. In the spring when it's time to mow the gas (after ~5 months), I just start it up and go. Never had any problem.

IMO, the whole "ethanol will ruin your engine thing" is way overblown.
Surveyor1

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just ordered a new Honda 90 (see previous post).
I’m guessing ethanol will not be a problem.
If Honda, or anyone else says I need to treat the fuel, I’m done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: