The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hatch cover adhesive compatibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_DH_

State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Hatch cover adhesive compatibility Reply with quote

I am planning to replace the original (leaky) hatch covers and trying to decide which adhesive/sealant to use. Already purchased the IMTRA 4000 series covers (part# SPA-40155) and noticed the instructions say to use ONLY silicone based caulking compounds.
I was planning to use either butyl tape or 3M 4000. Am I setting myself up for compatibility issues with the plastic hatch material?
Cheers,
-Dan
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hatch cover adhesive compatibility Reply with quote

_DH_ wrote:
I am planning to replace the original (leaky) hatch covers and trying to decide which adhesive/sealant to use. Already purchased the IMTRA 4000 series covers (part# SPA-40155) and noticed the instructions say to use ONLY silicone based caulking compounds.
I was planning to use either butyl tape or 3M 4000. Am I setting myself up for compatibility issues with the plastic hatch material?
Cheers,
-Dan

I replaced my original hatches with the Imtra ones. I used either 3M 5200 or 4000 (can't remember). I've had no problems with the hatches.

Only caution I would mention is that the Imtra hatches can be damaged by solvents (e.g. acetone) so if you are using a solvent to clean up the adhesive, be careful of getting it on the hatches. I did not notice this issue with the original hatches.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an application for Boat Life Life Seal, which is a blend of silicone and urethane. One of the few sealants which works well for various plastics and fiberglass.

Quote:
Use for sealing decks to hulls, thru-hull fittings, vinyl ports, sealing/glazing windshields and bedding marine hardware. Will adhere to metal, glass, wood, Lexan®, ABS® and certain other materials. Can be removed without damaging gel-coat.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
For applications above the water, I use butyl rubber (white 1/8", 3/4" wide) it sticks to itself and rolls like silly putty. No chemicals to damage your skin and easy clean-up. It stays pliable longer than most other, off the shelf products. Tech tip: put the hatch in place, place painters tape around the hatch, put butyl rubber tape to the backside of the hatch, tighten the hatch down uniform but not rock tight, wait a day for the putty to squeeze out, remove the tape. Any final cleanup, use denatured alcohol to wipe the edge.
Job done and no more leaks. Hinckley Yachts uses this magic stuff and has for years with very good results. The product is inexpensive and is available on eBay, Amazon or other sites.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
_DH_

State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With one vote for 3M, one vote for Boat Life, and one vote for Butyl Tape, it sounds like I can't go wrong! haha Cool

Cheers,
-Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: