B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I tried another computer and all I've got to say is- I got the students downstairs in the lab fabbing up a spool as we speak Smile
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve and I took a drive to Oregon City today after having spoken with the guys at Sportcraft Marina Friday and hearing they've barely got a parking lot from the high water -- WOW! hardly any fall to the falls!....SO, naturally, we went to Fisherman's Marine and Outdoor since we were in the neighborhood and they have those reels! They have one that's HUMUNGOUS and they have one smaller that looks like it'd be more balanced and a hoot to fish with. Gotta get the boat back first tho...I'm tryna stay out of trouble by rigging up lots of mooching rigs for this year....and some new sturgeon rigs too...first time I've tied those up, but really it's no different except using braided line...tied 'em nice and long so we can get a shad on one if we're of a mind to Laughing

Is it March 17 yet? Smile
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CatyMay, funny you mention those reels , this morning on BC TV , CA, they had this show about fishing BC, hosted by Gary Cooper . This is a 1/2 hour show, it was about fishing Sooke, south end of Victoria .They were fishing for chinook I think you people refer to them as king! Their boat was an open welded alumium center consol about 17 to 19 foot long made by LifeTimer . It was an 1990 fishing trip. They did not have a net aboard , but were using a glove to bring the salmon into the boat , pretty exciting to watch! Anyway the reel and rod they where using was a 6'' PEETZ ,wooden reel single action, with a fiber glass roller guides rod ,it had a wire line using 20' of heavy nylon in front . They were using a green and chrome flasher with about 38'' leader and a herring for bait. The weight was a round lead ball about 1 pound and 12'' of nylon snap between the wire line and the nylon so you could release the weight when you brought the fish to the boat. 2 months ago I bought my- self one of those reels (used) they still to this day make the same wooden reel made out of mahoghany and brass for about $90. Ca., Or you can get a single action reel made by Islander for about $550. Ca. Life time guaranteed hand made out of brass they are sweeeeeet!
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone handcuff me if I ever spend $550 Ca or US for a reel! If I do, it better have a job and a huge income Surprised or I better hit the lottery...

Maybe someday I'll get one of those for a birthday or Christmas or sumthin...they really look like they'd be great fun Smile
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caty-

I'm with you!

For $550, it ought to have 5 or more pairs of ball bearings, a clicker, a star or lever drag, two retrieval speeds, level wind, be machined out of a solid alloy block or two, and magnetic overrun protection. But then, small quantity production does drive up the price. Do they engrave your name on it too?

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
DodgeRam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am dreaming of owning one of those hand made reel one day,don't have the cash right now ,as I have more important things to ad to my SEARAM.My birthday is coming soon never know, but I doubt it when I told Sharon about this Islander Reel she to told me I was a dreamer! Remember Joe different strokes for different folks , going too your own pictures album there is a few accessories that make me shake my head and probably other C-Brats , like Mike saids just be nice? My passion is fishing , my other dream that would attached to this Islander Reel is a BC custom build mootching rod at a cost of about $800 to $900 .

Gary SEARAM
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary-

You're 100% right about us all having differences! Joe.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

You are so right! Beautiful setup. I gave my old Peetz woodie to a friend a few years ago and have cried huge tears ever since. I fish Sooke, and your dream rig is my dream rig!

You have a beautiful fishing rig - I've thought of mounting my Scotty downriggers just as you do - but too late, and too many holes already in the poor old boat. Time for a new one, I guess Wink

Dusty

DodgeRam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never to late Dusty, repairing fiber glass and gelcoat would be worth all the troubles of moving those down riggers . Thank you for the compliments , I am very proud of my C-Dory, thanks mostly to the C-Brats who had a great influence, for my choice in a very find boat . On the 24 and 25 of this month I will be attending a hali derby in Sooke , can hardly wait , just a small derby of about 15 to 20 boats put up by Sport Fishing BC forum where I am a member. There will be some very well experienced guides attending..

Gary SEARAM
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "Dream Rig" sounds perfect Gary! I would love to have one of those Islander reels. The MR2 would be awsome. I just don't see how they can justify the costs though. And a good custom BC Style mootching rod would be a great addition to the rod collection Wink

Like you my passion is fishing. Maybe that is why I currently have 3 boats and 2 pontoon boats! Wink I'm just lucky my wife puts up with me!

Hmmm... Another Alvey might be nice for my other rigger...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: