The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Inside steps for 16'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zuunami

City/Region: Fort Bragg
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Oh Buoy!
Photos: zuunami
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Inside steps for 16' Reply with quote

We've tried to think of something we could make make to get in and out of the boat at dock, and we decided to get this for the time being. We didn't want to drill holes in the gunwale, and didn't want something hanging over it that would impact the surface, either side. We wanted to make something that was attached to the seat boxes, but to get the height you (I) need, there wasn't enough height to make a folding step, and it was too far from where it needed to be to be stable.

So we opted for this until we come up with something better. It's pretty good, has really good increments (9" inches to the bottom step, 17.5" to the top step - which is about an inch above the seatbox). It's rated at 300 pounds - some amazon reviewers said they had no problems up to that weight, others disagreed. Robert, at a little under 200, felt safe on it.

A downside is that it's kind of large, but then again if it were smaller, it would feel more precarious. And of course, it doesn't match the slanting sides of the boat. But all in all, it feels comfortable - but it's another thing to stow when you're not using it. We have room because we'll just put it in the v-berth, we don't do overnights.

So, here's the link at amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098BN24QG?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

And here's some pics of it in the boat, it folds up pretty small. The greatest thing about it is that you just lift one handle to open it, and another to close it, quick and easy. I just wish it weren't quite so white Smile Going to be adding some black slipstop sort of strips, so that'll make it not so glaring Smile

So, just a fyi for anyone interested, we'll see how it does out in the real world Smile

[img]http://www.c-brats.com/albums/zuunami/stepopen.sized.jpg
[/img]

zuunami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also, we have two small step stools of this variety, the small kind that like to grab your fingers, or skin? This doesn't Smile
kcohen4

City/Region: WILLIAMSBURG
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Annie M.
Photos: Annie M
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject: Step Stool Reply with quote

I use a 9" step stool (1) step same design, in white that I bought a TJ Maxx for $9
Works well and is small enough that I leave it open all the time Just switch it to the side needed.

1982 CC Landfall 38
1979 Catalina 27
zuunami

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we also have a 9", but it's just not enough for me (I'm 5'). But this item is actually too big, so we may just clean up a 12" rubbermaid I've had forever, it's very stable, and that's what I'm looking for Smile
kcohen4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the same folding 12" high that I got at HomeGoods for $12. I use this for my plane when fueling into the wing.
kcohen4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed 2 things in your pictures.
1. If you take your 2 step and turn it so the lower step is under the splash well would make a bench seat while under way.
2. Do I see a 3rd seat in your cockpit mounted on the V Berth? If so how does that work for you?
zuunami

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our old 12" is not foldable, which is maybe what I like about it for stability - guess we'll have to make something, I'm thinking something that you can actually store something in - as you know, space is at a premium in the 16'. I agree that the two step we bought might be turned around and fit under the splashwell, we have to get that organized and see how it fits.

As to the third seat, we don't know how it'll work out as we've only had her since November and have been taking her apart and putting her back together since then. Hopefully in the next month we'll be on the water. But I can say that it makes the whole area feel much more spacious. We're not overnighters, so the v-berth cushions are currently a backboard in the guest bedroom.

We changed out the seats to inexpensive Walmart seats, for two reasons - we get a lot of condensation, and I don't like wet seats, and the smaller Walmart seats (except the helm seat is larger) just don't block the aisle between the seats as much. They're not as comfortable because of the depth, but we'll see if they're worth the trade-off.

But I know my seat will be the third seat, it sits lower than the other two, and that's comfortable for me at 5'. Even Robert, at 6', says he likes it, though in a chop you might hit your head on the windshield if you're not careful Smile And with 3 people in the boat, it redistributes some weight up front. It needs to be positioned really close to the front and inside edges of the v-berth to maximize the space between a person's head and the windshield. I really like it Smile - Karen p.s. Here's a different pic.

zuunami

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the table probably wouldn't fit with a third seat there, or be pretty awkward. But we had nixed the table anyway. I thought of making a fold up or fold down table, but decided just to hang an organizer off of the big black "table holders", and life is good Smile
kcohen4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got me thinking. I just ordered a Teak bench that is 51" wide. I think it will fit nicely at the rear of the cockpit. It can provide its use as a step from either side and also be additional seating.

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Havenside-Home-Tottenville-Teak-Backless-Patio-Bench/10052937/product.html?cid=311456&token=311456-31145617893793720220306000000-20220306-1-619d8b&ehid=D92005FB1270B9A6E0531006140AF9F2&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Braze&utm_campaign=311456&sentTime=1646602369401&send_id=22faea5c-5bbd-461b-b885-683ed9e3879e&dispatch_id=62252879d5f617587ca4e2d7d786e070&option=15195554

Will let you know if it work out.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of points. First, if you have a temporary step that isn't close to the cabin, you have no place for a hand hold. It makes going up a ladder or stairs feel like a high wire act if there isn't a hand hold available.

Second, it is possible to have too many stairs. Household stairs are about 7.5 inches. Ladder rungs are about 12-14 inches. The larger distance actually feels more secure IMHO. You want to feel like stepping down into the boat when entering (just not stepping down 30 inches.) I found that the single folding step shown in my photo album under Modifications - Enclosed Head works fine on the 16.

Third, storage. On my 16 I needed a place to store the ladder, a tiny folding cockpit table, and folding backpacking chairs (for a two person party in the cockpit). I used stainless double eye bolts that extend through the splashwell, giving me attachment points both in the splashwell and underneath. Attached underneath is a web of shock cord so that I can slip the table, etc., in and the shock cord holds it up and out of the way. Shown in my photo album under Modifications - Eye Hooks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zuunami

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree that any steps in and out need to be near something to hang on to Smile The steps I started this post with was just too big. So we ended up with a small cooler for now, that can hold bait, fish, whatever, but at least it serves double duty. It's about 12 high, but I added rubber door stops underneath toward the center to raise it level, and now it's really stable. I thought the orange would be a bit much, and maybe it is, but you can't miss it stepping down, and I kind of like it now. It's our R2-D2 step, a bit on the dark side Smile

We might go with something bigger once we're out on the water and assess our needs. If we do, it will definitely have feet on it like I did to this one. --Karen

Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:36 am    Post subject: Inside step for 16' Reply with quote

I just put a wooden cap on the 80qt. ice chest/fish box/catch all. Wink
zuunami

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We probably will too once we decide on the best size for a cooler Smile
kcohen4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: solved 2 problems Reply with quote

Bought a teak bench 52" wide X 15" Deep from Overstock. Found a 52 " X 15" cushion on Amazon.
Now I have a large boarding step and I have 2 more seats for use under way.
Not sure how to post picture here but will put them in my album.
Always been sort of a pain that I only had 2 seats and the small folding stool was always on the wrong side of the boat.
zuunami

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great! Wouldn't work for us for fishing, but it looks great there for your needs. Thanks for following up Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: